cheap syn free/ low syn meals

Haylz4684

Hi guys, how is everyone? :) Just realised I posted this in the wrong section :d'oh: so ive popped it in here aswell!!

Im in need of some inspiration for cheap syn free/ low syn meals. :giveup:

Been on sw for around 2 months and am starting to lose the plot a bit, had a gain last week and i feel like this week wont be much better. :sigh:

I always struggle around this time of the month when money is tight to find meal ideas.

hope you can help guys, need to start losing again ready for my hols!!

Thank you x :D

Your best bet is just to go browsing in this forum as there are 100+ pages of recipes so you are sure to find inspiration. There are also lots of threads about SW on a budget so try doing a search to find those.

I am on an economy drive myself and it seems Green is the way forward if you want some cheap meals. I am doing a green day to day and am having

Melon & Pineapple (used about a 1/2 of each, they were both £1 from Sainsbury) with FF Plain Yog (500g for about 60p) and Sultana Bran (3 boxes for £2.50 in tesco at the moment).

Total meal cost £1.50 ish

Lunch: Mixed Bean Chilli. Made with an onion, a tin of mixed beans (50p in aldi) a tin of chilli beans (45p in asda) quarter of a bag of frozen peppers (£1 a bag in tesco) some mushrooms, a carrot, a tin of tomatoes and some spices (I use cumin, cinnamum (SP) and paprika. I have enough for 2 meals easily and I think in total the 2 meals will cost me about £3.00

Dinner, Prawn linguine (using the prawns as my HEB2) - £2.00 for 160g in tesco at the moment, split between 2 of us) with pasta, peppers again, mushrooms, onions, garlic, tin of tomaotes and some herbs. Total cost for 2 of us - £3.50 maybe?

Food for 2 people for the whole day for kless than a tenner!

Oh yes- Egg & SW Chips is a cheap meal too. Plus, Tesco's are doing 4 for £12 on their meat packs, and 700g Lean mince (so you'd need to syn it - whole pack is 13 syns though and makes 4 single meals easily) is part of that, as is the Pork Loins, you get 6 in a pack I think.

I just did 2 weeks shopping, including toilet rolls, washing powder etc for less than £100 for 2 of us on tesco online, which was far cheaper than anywhere else.

Green days are great on a budget, lentils, rice, endless beans and oulses etc you can get big bags of really cheap and they'll feed you for days. Add loads of onions, spices, veggies, serve with potatoes.

I make endless salads or curries and stuff out of beans, lentils, rice etc. They're cheap because nobody can be bothered to cook dried stuff. Most of it cooks in 30 min or at most you soak it overnight.

Thanx guys, some really helpful suggestions, I never shop in tesco but they sound like they might be a bit cheaper than asda for some stuff. Asda are doing the 3 meats for £10 so tescos would be better for that I think. Going to give them ago for my next shop. :D

We shop online every week :D and would recommend it to anyone!! You know exactly what your spending...you can plan a good week's worth of meals...you can price compare...and you can do it in your nighty :D lol xx

We shop online every week :D and would recommend it to anyone!! You know exactly what your spending...you can plan a good week's worth of meals...you can price compare...and you can do it in your nighty :D lol xx

Yeh i have thought about this shopping online. When you say price compare I presume you mean just in the one shop, you cant compare against other shops?

Haylz4684 said:
Yeh i have thought about this shopping online. When you say price compare I presume you mean just in the one shop, you cant compare against other shops?

Some places do price matching too eg, you put in your reciept number, and if its cheaper elsewhere, they refund the differemce- plus if you have an iphone there is a tesco app so don't even need to boot up the computer, and you can also scan barcodes for stuff aswell !

We are also on an economy drive here.

Try using Compare Supermarket Prices | Online Supermarket Shopping - mySupermarket. it is shopping online. You only enter the details and they do the hard work and compare the food and tell you what will be the cheapest basket and you can then go and checkout.

I usually save on average £20+, which means I can do something nice with the kids at the weekend with the extra cash. xx

As someone already said Chips Beans and Eggs is really cheap and tasty and you can use all 3 of them in different ways...very versatile. I shop at a few different places each week. Iceland to get frozen bags of diced onion, mushrooms, peppers, chicken, mixed veg and then Tesco for pasta and sauce, bread, yogurts etc. I also use my local butcher who does a slimming world meat pack for around £9 (16 sausages, 4 burgers and 2 packs of extra lean mince) so all in all last week I spent about £25 on my 'diet' stuff and haven't had a problem running out of stuff just yet (need to go restock tomorrow though on the fresher stuff).

I used to buy lots of branded diet stuff but it costs a small fortune so I stick to the very basics now and will go to the corner shop if I need an extra ingredient through the week.

We are also on an economy drive here.

Try using Compare Supermarket Prices | Online Supermarket Shopping - mySupermarket. it is shopping online. You only enter the details and they do the hard work and compare the food and tell you what will be the cheapest basket and you can then go and checkout.

I usually save on average £20+, which means I can do something nice with the kids at the weekend with the extra cash. xx

:wow:thats great!! Ive just had a look at the site and I wish I hadnt done my shopping already!! Thanks very much for this! :D

Another Good Website

:wow:thats great!! Ive just had a look at the site and I wish I hadnt done my shopping already!! Thanks very much for this! :D

Your welcome.

Also try beforeIshop which gives offers and vouchers that you can print out before you go shopping.

All these savings soon add up. :)

Back