Checking products for carb count?

m13shl

Hello everyone can I just ask if this is correct?
Bought a vegetarian gravy mix and it states on the packet, Per 100g,Carbohydrates 6.0g of which sugars 0.3g.
So therefore is it 6 or 6.3g?
P.s is this a good one to buy? Container only holds 130gms and you only use 3-4 teaspoons at a time!

"of which" suggests the sugar content is included in the carb count.

I say 6g too!

I thought you had to subtract the fibre to get the net carbs? :confused: Sure I remember that from when I did Atkins.

So I would say 6g less the g of fibre if there are any.

I thought you had to subtract the fibre to get the net carbs? :confused: Sure I remember that from when I did Atkins.

So I would say 6g less the g of fibre if there are any.

This is true of american nutritional values as they catorgorise fibre as a carb (NUTTERS!), however in the UK fibre is not included in the carb count. Thus on English branded products you take the carb value.

I never knew that! :eek: No wonder I failed when I did Atkins then..........:eek:

Its a common mistake.. not helped by the fact everything that you read about Atkins is US based.

I'd love an UK book, website etc.. think it would help alot more people if they were told how to do it in the UK!

Yes it's 6g Shell.

It can be confusing Yam. :)

yes, all EU products already have the fibre subtracted.

If you use that website as its an American website Stephen then Yes you deduct fibre but all packaging including veg in the EU already has the fibre deducted, so if yr looking at the back of a pack of veg & the carbs say 3g per 100g then thats what you count you don't deduct the fibre on packaging.

But that site is great if you have no packaging for a product make sure you use the ECC count from that site. xxx

Spot on Linz, it needs to be an EU or UK site.

If you use that website as its an American website Stephen then Yes you deduct fibre but all packaging including veg in the EU already has the fibre deducted, so if yr looking at the back of a pack of veg & the carbs say 3g per 100g then thats what you count you don't deduct the fibre on packaging.

But that site is great if you have no packaging for a product make sure you use the ECC count from that site. xxx

yeah Linzi as i said fresh food ie no packaging

Defo, fibre in the UK is classed as pure roughage!!! Not pansy carbs:p

Thanks guys. Ooooooooooooooh yeesz are a clever bunch! I'll away and think of loads of other questions 2 be askin yees noo lol!

Back