Cheekychinchilla's food and stuff

I can't say anything that Barbette hasn't already said!

Hope work wasn't too bad, that you get some rest tonight and feel better tomorrow.

Hey guys!
Thanks for the curry advice. I was hoping it would last till tomorrow for my tea :)

The car issue is odd. But the second guy did more tests on it and actually checked the computer. He showed me the equipment and asked did the first guy do any of this, which he didn't. Basically the first guy jump started me, wiped the on-board computer, and sent me on my way hoping the drive would charge the battery. But the second guy did more diagnostics and stuff and he said my battery wasn't holding any charge at all and basically no amount of running the car would have charged it as it had lost the capacity to hold a charge and needed replacing. Annoying but I think both did a good job in a way. At least the first guy got me home! And the second one has hopefully fixed this issue now. It's running fine now. Could really do with a few months off from car issues! The MOT is due in the summer and I'm hoping to have enough saved to do a service at the same time. And I have a feeling my back tyres might be on the verge of being too worn, so may have to be replaced at MOT time too. Joy!! Think it's due July/August so if I do get a break from surprise spending that'll be ok.

This month has been crazy for surprise spending - the car, my Sister's birthday, my work boots breaking, Easter, etc... Really could do with a few months off to rebuild my savings. Next month it's my Mum's and fake brother's birthdays *sigh*

Katie I have depression and anxiety too, have had since I was about 15. So I get these days anyway, but the added ME ones are not good! Like I need more bad days.

Moose was lovely!! I have a feeling I'll be going back there soon ;) The veggie options all look amazing. The meal I picked got my attention with the artichokes, jalapenos, and halloumi. It would have been even more SW friendly if I hadn't of used a tiny bit of butter on my toast - it was'nt needed though, wouldn't use it next time.

My shoulder issues are from the huge amount of scar tissue I have on my chest unfortunately. So far *crosses everything* I haven't had too much pain from my gall bladder! My scar-tissue pain is very tensed muscles across my chest, shoulder, and neck. Before I had physio I couldn't turn my head to look over either shoulder. And when it was really bad I couldn't move my had at all! I pull it and set it off doing the most inane thing as well like I can sometimes cause it to spasm by sniffing! It's ridiculous! I should have regular massages to help me out, but not really had the spare money. I still do the physio exercises though.
It gets bad when I'm stressed or tired or been working a lot.

Work was ok-ish. The phone was steady but I did end up staying around 20mins late because at 8pm when I was supposed to hand-over there was a queue at reception and the phone wouldn't stop!
I hit the floor a bit too heavily on my worse knee as well. It's really sore!! I spend way too much time on my knees in work.... erm.... LOL! another big bruise will surely appear. I have permanent bruises on my knees and at the front of my ankles! Very attractive! Good job I'm not a girly-girl!x

Last edited:
Tuesday food: 500cal fast day

Lunch:
Multigrain porridge (115)
100ml Koko Milk (27)
= 142

Tea:
New Covent Garden tomato soup (192)

Snack:
35g Coco Pops (135)
8g Puffed Wheat (15)
50ml Koko milk (13)
= 163

Drinks: Coffee. Water. Peppermint tea. Diet Coke (1)

Calories used: 498

Last edited:
Well done on getting through a fast day after all the stress and with your aches etc.

I would find your menu a bit lacking in 'crunch' factor - I need something to chew! Love puffed wheat; it has such a 'clean' taste but Cocopops - or any chocolatey cereal - are not for me as I don't like brown milk!

Hopefully that's you done with car expenses till summer :fingerscrossed:
Well done on another fast day well done :)
I love coco pops, I love the chocolate weetabix too, naughty breakfasts :D
I hope you have a good day and another okish work shift x x x

Hey guys!

Patty - if it helps I make my porridge very thick. I can't stand stuff swimming in milk. So my porridge is very chunky and my evening cereals have the tiniest amount of milk in, so very crunchy. I don't do soggy cereal! I suppose with me liking to have the carton of soup as an evening meal on fast days now I am cutting back on solid food. But I find it really filling and nice and different from SW. I think I'll be having Quorn and veg for my next fast day tea tho :)

Barbette chocolate cereal is awesome ;) I LOVE Shreddies and mini Shredded Wheat too. That's one of the big things I missed when starting SW, but the fast days have opened up going back to some of the naughtier cereals - which is a bit crazy really lol!

When I get to work today my boss will have set aside a box from the order for me to unpack as one of my assessments is "unpack a veterinary drug order". Again, something I've not done ever in this job. I have unpacked orders in past jobs, but drugs have different guidelines. I'm hoping it's my boss signing it off and not my mentor as she's really good with assessments and helps you out and isn't overly strict. Wish she could do all my assessments with me again like she used to!

In other news. I got feedback from two assignments today.
I got a merit for my first aid cases. Which is great, but I'm actually a little surprised it wasn't a distinction. I put a lot of effort in to those cases and reading the feedback my only area of improvement was to add pictures to support the case (why?!!!) And it was mentioned that I had to do a simulated case because of time constraints - which is only half true as it was a real case from last year, I just didn't have the evidence. So a bit annoyed about that, but better than a pass ;)
And I got a distinction for my medical case :D
It's good to get marks back, no matter what they are, because you know things are moving. I can't even remember what's left to be marked now. And I know I have at least one written piece waiting to be looked at by my mentor. I'm being a bit naughty and not mentioning that I've done the accident reporting poster. I'll just save extra work I've done until it's mentioned. A bit sneaky, but if they know I'm doing extra bits they'll pile more on me. And I am doing pretty well as it is, don't want anyone messing it up by expecting too much.

Back to SW today. Had a nice big brunch. Was supposed to be an omelette but I balls'd it up so it was veggie scrambled eggs ;) xx

Wednesday food: SW Green Day

Lunch:
2 free Quorn sausages
Half a tin of spaghetti hoops
Super cheesy scrambled eggs with onions, orange peppers, mushrooms, spinach, and Chipotle Tabasco (HexB1)
Grilled cherry tomatoes
Crispy potatoes
Wholemeal toast (HexB2)
Fruity brown sauce (1)

Tea:
Free veggie and Quorn curry portion
Packet of Chinese rice with some soy sauce
Salad
Dressing (0.5)
Cottage cheese

Snack: Hotel Chocolat Alternative Mince Pie (3.5)

Drinks:
Coffee. Diet Coke. Squash. Diet Ginger ale. Options hot chocolate made with Koko milk (part of HexA1 + 2)

Syns used: 7
Syns saved: 8

Last edited:
I have chocolate weetabix sometimes, 2 are a HEB and 2 syns.
Well done on your good grades :D And it was good of your boss to leave a box for you to unpack, they must have noticed how much effort you're putting in and decided to help you more.
Your omelette/scrambled egg sounds yummy, I'm doing a red day tomorrow and I'm going to do an omelette for my dinner.
Hope you've had a good evening x x x

I got two more notifications from my tutor on the way to work. Got a distinction for my surgical case and an official pass for an assessment.
I did my assessment today for unpacking a veterinary drugs order. It was fine and I answered the questions no problem. Just need my mentor to have the time to submit the feedback! I thought I was going to get to do my talk this week and at least the anaesthetic machine assessment, but my mentor is leaving early tomorrow so there goes that. I did get a chance to have 5mins alone in a theatre to practice the assessment criteria through once. Will hopefully get another chance tomorrow. I literally need 5 minutes of quiet! Fingers crossed.

Work wasn't too bad actually. The phone was ok and I hardly booked in any clients. There was a rush for meds to be given out after my break, but everyone was understanding and there were no issues. There was SO much stuff left over in theatre prep - instruments, drapes, etc... So I spent most of my time in there and the cleaner handled kennels for me. Think we did a pretty good job :)

After tea I've been researching and have written a bit of an assignment. It's actually a case study, but it's on a subject very close to my heart (or brain!) and I wanted to set it up with info as best I could. It's actually a case study about managing stress within a veterinary environment. And considering it has the highest rate of mental health and suicide of all the professions I think it's an issue that deserves far more attention than it gets!
So I have quite a lot of references written down - places like MIND, HSE, NHS, RCVS, etc... So hoping I can set it up quite well. Not sure what to use as a case study though. A good one could have been yesterday when I had to stay in the room with one of our vets as the client appeared to be quite drunk. This hit me quite hard as my Dad was a functioning alcoholic and I could see so much of him in this guy. It actually upset me really as it made me realise how people who didn't know him might have seen him! And more often than not the reality of a situation is much different to your first reaction. Anyway, me and my vet friend handled it very well and I treated him like I would my Dad. It's making me a bit teary now just talking about it!! *blush*
But the assignment is about what happened, what my response was, how it could have been avoided, etc... So not sure how I can write about it. Hmmmm....

I love eggs so much!! And it didn't matter that it didn't end up an omelette lol. I rely on eggs a fair bit, but I really like them.

Have been working for a couple of hours now so think I shall watch new Game of Thrones and try to switch off. Might even have a hot chocolate :D

Hope everyone's doing ok and have had a lovely day.
xxx

Ps. Oh I got weighed yesterday and was showing a 0.5kg gain. But I weighed again this evening, after that HUGE lunch, and I was back to 75.5kg. So will see what tomorrow evening says! Just hoping that if this loss evens out it wont jump too high after Easter. I'm trying to think of my eating plan for Easter. But I think I may have Sunday off plan, but Monday meals on plan/low syn and devour some chocolate! Will nom all the hard to syn chocolate as quickly as I can. Hoping people have got me small, easily synnable stuff so I wont go too mad *blush*

Last edited:
F*ck it. I'm just going to write it. I'm getting upset just thinking about it again so I think it would be better to get it out.
I miss my Dad :( xx

Awww - hugs. I don't think we ever really get over losing a parent.

Apart from that, it sounds as though yesterday was a good day. Good marks, help from your boss and getting a load of work out of the way.

I had absolutely no idea that vet med was so stressful, certainly not to the extent that it's got such a high mental health issue rep. Trust you to want to work in the field! (Insert great big fat winking smiley!)

usually I'm ok. I try not to carry sadness around over him dying. There's much more to someone's life than the last sad bit and we have so many good memories. Many hilarious that we still talk about!
But the alcoholic thing is something we openly talk about, but it's generally not something you have to deal with day to day is it? So to have this client come in and it happened to be me doing the consult was quite a shock. I think I handled it well, at least outside, and treated him how I would want my Dad treated. He was a lovely man, obv quite nervous and aware of what was going on, and adored his dog. And the dog went crazy when he came back in to the room and launched herself at him and licked his face and everything. Basically, what I mean is he was a good man that just had issues. It just kills me to think how my Dad might have been treated or perceived by outsiders, you know?
Anyway, I think we did a good job and I hope he was happy with the service we offered him :)

Oh yeah, veterinary has the highest rate of suicide of all the professional careers. There is a lot of research going in to it now, but for a good long while it's been kind of ignored. It's a very, very stressful area to work in. But not just the surgeons, I honestly believe it effects all grades of staff. It's a truly difficult job!

But yeah, why we pick it I don't know lol! Maybe we're all a bit mental ;) That would make sense....

Feeling really tired today. I didn't sleep very well last night, my head was just racing and I couldn't switch it off. Taking Ellie in to work with me today, which is always a bit stressful, and I have to go in earlier to get her there on time. Argh!
Very, very much looking forward to having a day off tomorrow :)

Fast day today!
Plan is porridge, Quorn and veggies, and kids cereal ;) x

I'm so sorry you're really missing your dad :( I think when you've lost someone close to you you have days like that and you can never tell what will trigger it off. I know sometimes when I see kids the same age Daniel would have been doing every day stuff it hits me because I think he never got a chance to do that.
I can understand why that drunk would trigger it off for you, you're not likely to see many drunks so it was a rarity. I think having worked in the industry I have all my life I view drunks differently, I know a lot of people use alcohol to escape their lives or because they're lonely they see it as a way of numbing the pain. I don't judge drunks either because I know that a person sober can be the nicest person going but give them alcohol and it can totally change their personality, so I never go off what they're like drunk it doesn't show a true reflection of their character.
I can see why it would be a stressful profession, you're dealing with the public when they're at their most stressed and worried about the animals they love dearly so it would put pressure on you to do the right thing and to get it right. And I can imagine it is very difficult to break bad news to them because most people see their pets as part of their family, I know I do. I take my hat off to you, I don't think I could do it.
Fingers crossed that the scales are good to you today. Hopefully your shift won't be too bad and go by quickly. Enjoy your day off tomorrow x x x

Urgh work was awful! Bank holidays and the run up to them are always horrible. Most people seem to have a "clearout" of sick or unwanted pets around the holiday times, which is very difficult to deal with. I did 3 PTS's in a row before. And other in between! All of the ones I dealt with were genuine though, which is a small consolation tome, and really did need this. I got to speak to one of the owners about various "options", which means I can use it as a case study I need to do. Bloody evil making us do a case study on euthanasia! Heartless b*stards! But I suppose it is a very common thing we deal with, I just don't like it being a case study.

Anyway, we were very very busy. Ended up with two vets staying later than they should, but I was the only support staff left. I didn't get a proper break and just ran for a mouthful of coffee between phone calls or seeing clients.
Also restrained an incredibly aggressive jack russel and my left arms is covered in cuts and grazes. I've hurt my wrist and elbow to and the arm is very weak now :( A JR doesn't sound like much, but when they're that aggressive they're very strong. I'm very good with small, angry dogs, but you still come away battered from them, no matter how good you are! If he hadn't of had a muzzle on we'd have both been bitten.

Didn't get to speak to anyone about coursework or anything today. Far, far too busy. I wont get much of a chance next week either as my only normal day is Tuesday.

I think with my Dad its extra difficult as he died so young and it just feels incredibly unfair. I know no one is ever the right age and no amount of time is enough, but he was only 49. I was 22 and Rachelle was only 17 :(
I am very careful about how I judge a person. My Mum often has things shouted at her in the street about being a drunk or whatever because she stumbles and struggles to walk in a straight line! Just think people need to think before they judge or say something.
Obv where I work we see a lot of people with a huge variety of illnesses and disabilities. Some people are just horrible tho and make very quick judgement.

I'm so bloody tired :(

Managed to stick to a fast day even though the staff room was FULL of food and cakes because one of the vets was leaving for maternity leave. It was all set up as an afternoon tea party. Plus I was super stressed and just fed up with everything. Have had enough!

Scales were just under 75.5kg so hoping after I have a week to recover from Easter I should still be around there. I wont get weighed in work till the end of next week or it'll just depress me lol.xx

Sounds like a very stressful and hard shift, you did well not to give in to the naughty food at work, well done. I don't understand why people do that?? It makes me angry people getting pets they can't or are not willing to look after :( It must be really hard for you to see this.
It must have been hard for you and you sister to lose him so young, you expect your parents to see you grow up, settle down and have kids.
I hope you get some rest over the weekend and have a nice easter x x x

Hey mate!
We deal with it a lot at work. And with being a charity and not asking for payment actually makes it more difficult when people don't get their animal's treated or let them get so ill there's nothing we can do. We only ask for a donation! The only thing we charge for is preventive stuff, such as neutering, vaccinations, worm/flea stuff, etc.... So it is really difficult when these cases come in! I was quite lucky today in that all the ones I had to deal with were just animals unfortunately needing to go to heaven. No one's fault, no mistreatment or anything, just time.
The one I've written my case on was a lovely dog and a really lovely owner.

It is very difficult to have lost Dad so young. I honestly think it's why I "crashed" so badly when Mum had her accident on holiday. I really do believe that was the start of my downhill spiral. I mean she could have died, she almost went over a cliff in a coach! I do panic a lot about my Mum and her illnesses and think a lot of "what if's". I mean if something were to happen to her what would I do?! I wouldn't have a home, I'd have no one to support me working part time, etc... It's absolutely terrifying! I know I'd have my friends and of course Rachelle and John will be living just round the corner. But it's not the same is it! And maybe I should be more independent at my age. But part of the reason for me working part time is because of being Mum's carer. Urgh, anyway, no point dwelling on that!!

I've written most of this assignment now. There's just one section on practice protocols that I can write out because I actually don't know what the official practice protocol is!! I'll have to try and remember and get a copy of it on Monday so I can finish this off.
That'll do for tonight though. Going to make a drink, get my evening cereal, and finally watch that ep of Game of Thrones!!

I'll do my food in a bit.xx

Just watched Game of Thrones. OMG!!! So tense!!!!!!!!!!!!

Also, forgot to say that Ellie's check-up went well. We decided not to do any blood tests and leave her be seen as she's doing so well. Need to keep an eye on her pain as we may need to add in extra pain relief, but need to see if the advanced supplements have an impact first. She has a few lumpy bumpy's but we decided it's best to leave them alone too - realistically she's too old to do anything even if they were something scary. So yeah, all good! Repeat meds for 6 months! I'll do her next check up around booster time with another vet and by the next one Ellie's vet should be back :)

Thursday food: 500cal fast day

Lunch:
Multigrain porridge (115)
100ml Koko milk (27)
= 42

Tea:
Quorn cottage pie (219)
20g spinach (6)
Tsp of dressing (4)
= 229

Snack:
30g Coco Pops (116)
50ml Koko milk (13)
= 129

Drinks: Coffee. Water. Peppermint tea.

Calories used - 500

Last edited:
I think when you become a carer your relationship with that person changes, it's almost like you become their parent, it very similar emotions and worries you have as a parent. I don't mean to belittle the person you're caring for but it is, well for me it is and it must produce even stronger bonds when it's your mum. You should be really proud of the commitment you've made to your mum and all the sacrifices you've made including your independence.
That's good news for Ellie, glad it went well, it must be one thing less to worry about for the time being :) x x x

It makes sense Barbette. Not belittling at all :) I cared for my Dad too. On and off for years when he'd have bad patches and then when he got cancer and wasn't in hospital. The good thing with both of my parents is they are (were) stubborn b*ggers - I wonder where I get it from - and are incredibly independent so I suppose my level of "caring" is quite low compared to others. But when it's a bad day it's a BAD day!
Meh! Anyway, I feel a bit better about it all now. It just worries me about my future, especially with having ME now. I don't for a second want my Sister or my brother-in- law to be think that I will be expecting them to look after me. I'm sure whenever the future happens future me will cope with it as best I can.

My arm's a little better today. It got so bad last night, pain in my wrist, elbow, and shoulder. And I couldn't bend it or fully extend. It's still painful today but I have a better range of movement.

So far today I've made a lovely brunch - what is now my usual lol. Hoovered all of downstairs because it was getting disgusting! Every so often someone half-heartedly hoovers the living room. But no one bothers with the kitchen or the hall :confused: So I did them and the small bits of Rachelle's carpet I could get to. She's storing a lot of stuff for their house so there's boxes everywhere.
I've done all the dishes and tidied the kitchen AGAIN - not my stuff.
And I've put one set of bunnies in the garden and did a full clean on both hutches. The other pair can go out in a bit and I'll de-poo the garden then too *phew*

I was having a look through the assignment guide for the section of coursework I'm on now and it looks like I've pretty much finished the written work. The only sort of written things I can see is completing a COSHH thing, writing in the accident book, and filling out a job application form. Not something I can really do at home off my own back. Everything else is mostly practical assessments and a few exams.
So all I can really do now is revise for the practicals and exams. Wow! The end is in sight, hopefully!! A lot of section 3 assessment stuff has to be done over a minimum of a month, to prove I'm fulfilling my work contract and whatever else balls ;)

STILL haven't done my talk on work contracts. No one's even mentioned it! :rolleyes: I want to be able to re-sit that exam on Tuesday and I'm going to try and revise enough to take another one I think. xx

Back