Cheese Sauce

donna88

Gold Member
I'm planning on attempting a fish in cheese sauce tomorrow for tea.

Normally when making cheese sauce I'd start by mixing melted butter with flour but obviously this brings the syns up, so I was thinking of heating 350ml of skimmed milk, melting 40g low fat cheese into it and then adding either half a tbsp or a tbsp of flour (corn flour or plain depending on what I have in) to thicken depending on how much I need. Split between two this would be a HEA and 1 or 2 syns each... but just wondering if anyone has tried this way (adding the flour after) or if it would go lumpy?

I'm planning on attempting a fish in cheese sauce tomorrow for tea.

Normally when making cheese sauce I'd start by mixing melted butter with flour but obviously this brings the syns up, so I was thinking of heating 350ml of skimmed milk, melting 40g low fat cheese into it and then adding either half a tbsp or a tbsp of flour (corn flour or plain depending on what I have in) to thicken depending on how much I need. Split between two this would be a HEA and 1 or 2 syns each... but just wondering if anyone has tried this way (adding the flour after) or if it would go lumpy?

I have never tried it this way, but why don't you try using cottage cheese as a base? - add milk to that to get it to the right consistency.

Or you could try quark and add seasoning and the cheese to that? Might try this myself actually just to see if I can get a nice creamy sauce out of it!

Let us know how it goes....

Rachael.

I have never tried it this way, but why don't you try using cottage cheese as a base? - add milk to that to get it to the right consistency.

Or you could try quark and add seasoning and the cheese to that? Might try this myself actually just to see if I can get a nice creamy sauce out of it!

Let us know how it goes....

Rachael.

We have loads of quark in actually, could try and use that.... would have to be very careful when heating it but worth a try... If it doesn't work it doesn't work not the end of the world and would be syn free then... well unless I still needed the flour just to thicken it a little, but I would have thought the quark would do that.

Will update tomorrow with how it turns out

How much cheese sauce do you need as a tub of low low cheese spread melted is lovely and half a tub is a hex a.

I like the lowlow cheese spread... but its not quite what I'm after for tomorrow night. My mum used to make us fish and cheese sauce when we were younger it was one of my favourite meals, so I would like to make a cheese sauce similar to that, rather then like a spread.

You can make a cheese sauce with skimmed milk, cheese and a tablespoon of cornflour. Just mix the cornflour with a little milk first to dissolve it, then mix a HEa of cheese with about 200ml of milk and microwave. You'll need to keep taking it out and giving it a stir and the cheese will take a few minutes to melt, but when it does it makes a lovely thick sauce.

You can make a cheese sauce with skimmed milk, cheese and a tablespoon of cornflour. Just mix the cornflour with a little milk first to dissolve it, then mix a HEa of cheese with about 200ml of milk and microwave. You'll need to keep taking it out and giving it a stir and the cheese will take a few minutes to melt, but when it does it makes a lovely thick sauce.

Thank you :)

I tried it with quark and it failed miserably, luckily I'd made chips rather then roasts so just had it all with salt and vinegar instead. When I'm feeling brave I'll try a different version, think I def need to use some syns for it though.

There is a slimming world receipe for cheese sauce out there where you use veg stock, 1 oz cornflour, cheese and mustard. This is the one I usually do and pretty much vary the amount of cheese depending on what else I have eaten that day.

I use morrisons packet its about 4 syns for the packet quick and easy lol x

Back