cheese!

bluecatlady

Now, I had a look but couldn't find a similar post.

My point is this. The Atkins book says to count each 30grams of cheese as 1 carb...
but every packet in my fridge,(I currently have six different cheeses) all report the carb content to be under 0.2 grams carbs per 100g which by my math says I should be able to eat a ton of cheese and stay under my 5 non veg carbs per day...

Why does Atkins say to count 30g of cheddar as 1 carb when the stuff in my fridge is 100grams for only 0.1 carbs??

Is this a calorie control measure or a fat control measure or an anti stall measure because although I don't want to eat a kilo of cheese to get to 1 carb I don't like reading one thing in the book and every packet telling me something else when I'm so carefully to check labels.

Suggestions anyone?

I have been assuming that the carb grams given in NANY for hard cheeses refer to American products rather than UK ones. I go by what it says on the package info rather than the book.

That said, cheese has a LOT of calories, so it makes sense to put a limit on it. Same for protein. Otherwise there will always be someone who eats their own body weight in meat and cheese every day then wonders why they're not losing weight, lol.

I stick to the less-than-4oz-per-day rule myself, and I don't count it in my carb total because the packaging tells me it has only 0.1g per 100g, therefore negligible. (I do count the carbs in cream and eggs though, because they have more)

That's an interesting way to look at it Scrumbles. I don't count my eggs carbs because I never have more than two in any one day, and I know I have a few carbs spare becasue I can't physically hit the veg limit becasue I don't eat onions or peppers or mushrooms, the higher carb veggies.

Personally I could easily eat over 4oz of cheese, though I don't intend too, I just find the difference in book and lable annoying.

Ah, right. Well I'm usually at or very slightly over my daily carb target, so I have to count everything or I risk being too much over. We all approach this in our own ways which is why I find it interesting to compare notes.

I know what you mean about the book/label confusion. I posted something in a similar vein when I first signed up here, and experienced members reassured me it was fine to go by nutrition labels, so that's what I do. I shop at Sainsbury's, so when I'm planning I go to their online store and look up nutrition info there - keeps it simple, which is fine by me! :D

Back