Cheesy Lasagne yumminess

I made a big batch of free mince last night, just had some with pasta, but I was thinking it would be awesome if I could make a really yummy lasagne. Now, the mince and pasta are sorted, which is great. However I could do with a tried and tested bechamel/cheese sauce recipe.

I've had some real issues with sauces since I started SW....I'm so used to using cream/milk/creme fraiche that I get caught out and the fat free alternatives ALWAYS curdle....one night I threw away THREE batches of a sauce before I finally admitted defeat.

I have just been reading up on almond milk...I wonder whether that could be an alternative, thickened with cornflour (which I'd have to syn) and then cheese (which I'd also have to syn)

I really can't face another sauce disaster so over to you.....!

This one worked for me....

400 g extra lean beef mince
2 onions, sliced
2 peppers, sliced
2 cloves garlic
1 tsp mixed herbs
1 carton of passata
Lasagne sheets
250 g reduced fat cheddar, grated
2 tubs quark
1 egg
skimmed milk if needed to slacken sauce
1/4 tsp mustard powder

Fry onions and peppers. Add the mince and brown. Add the passata, mixed herbs, crushed garlic cloves and salt and pepper to taste. Put in the slow cocker and cook until mince is soft.
Empty 2 tubs of quark in to a saucepan and add one egg. Heat gently while mixing together. Add a dash of skimmed milk if the white sauce is too thick (the amount needed won't even average out to half a syn per portion). Mix in the mustard powder and half of the cheese.
Using an ovenproof dish, place half of meat mixture in bottom, top with lasagne sheets, add half of the white sauce and the remainder of the meat mixture.
Add a further layer of lasagne sheets, top with the remaining white sauce and then add the grated cheese evenly over the top.
Bake in the oven for half an hour at 180°C.

It serves 6 and it's free if you use the cheese as a hexa, you just need to syn any milk you use to slacken the sauce but it ends up being a very small amount divided between 6.

Hope it works
Liz

Thanks Liz, that's exactly what I was looking for. It's on the menu for tomorrow once I've had time to go buy quark....I couldn't find it in any of the supermarkets, and then eventually did last week.....now I can't remember where it was!

Does it taste "quarky"? I can't stand the stuff but maybe the mustard and cheese would mask it!

Yeah I used a mature cheddar so it just tasted cheesy. I don't want to oversell it - it's certainly not as nice as my full fat cheese sauce but it's the nicest nice tasted! It also froze alright and melted again without curdling when reheated in the oven. Good luck!
Liz
X

Thank you! Will def be trying this! Thanks!

Ok, so my lasagne is ready: ta dah!
ImageUploadedByMiniMins.com1369073094.995223.jpg

I'm not at all sure about the consistency of the sauce though...it seems sort of rough and chalky, as if its threatening to curdle (don't you DARE!)

Looks delicious from the top! Hope it cooks alright for you xx

ImageUploadedByMiniMins.com1369084558.119308.jpg

Well, there it is! It didn't split but the texture was very odd indeed....a bit rubbery, like liquid halloumi.

Despite that, it did taste cheesy, and my other half gobbled it up and declared it delicious! I'm not 100% sold on it, but as a "diet" dish then you can't really complain!

Glad it didn't split on you! Hope you didn't miss the real thing too much!!
Liz
X

I'm amazed it didn't split, so thank you for that!

It's been a big hit with OH, and I enjoyed having something properly cheesy :)

Back