Chelsea's last stone off by Christmas mission!!

No you don't, just a hug! xxx

It does take some getting used to! I have done SW before but I'm still making mistakes left right and centre - in particular I keep "remembering" syn values from previous attempts and then realise I'm counting WW points which is a whole different thing altogether ;)

@Alli -- And you are probably counting and adding in Swedish, then translating it into English. (I have a Brazilian friend who has lived in the U.S. and been married to an American for nearly 20 years, her English is excellent, but still HAS to count in Portuguese.)

MM

P.S. Tried to "rep" you for the helpful information on weekly Syn values, but I need to spread it around -- I guess. But, it was a very rational and supportive point to make. So, thanks for that.

Last edited:
smack_682_614133a.jpg

I think you should always try to give your friends what they ask for (or are asking for) -- although, I think Bess is sweet to substitute a hug for a smack.

So, I'm going to smack you! You have done so well losing weight already, and that means that you know better than to use food for comfort. So, to quote Beck again, "If Hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the solution."

I'll bet if you'd gone on the Slimming World forum and started a thread entitled "OMG, my prawn salad has 13.5 Syns" that Alli or someone else would have reminded you of the "weekly Syn value" and you could have avoided the comfort eating. So, next time...

Note: This was all typed in a stern "motherly tone". So consider yourself smacked!

Now, let's draw a line under it and do some virtual shopping. For what should we be shopping? Cruise clothes? Shoes?

IT

MM

smack_682_614133a.jpg

I think you should always try to give your friends what they ask for (or are asking for) -- although, I think Bess is sweet to substitute a hug for a smack.

So, I'm going to smack you! You have done so well losing weight already, and that means that you know better than to use food for comfort. So, to quote Beck again, "If Hunger isn't the problem, then food isn't the solution."

I'll bet if you'd gone on the Slimming World forum and started a thread entitled "OMG, my prawn salad has 13.5 Syns" that Alli or someone else would have reminded you of the "weekly Syn value" and you could have avoided the comfort eating. So, next time...

Note: This was all typed in a stern "motherly tone". So consider yourself smacked!

Now, let's draw a line under it and do some virtual shopping. For what should we be shopping? Cruise clothes? Shoes?

IT

MM
So.......how long do I have to stand facing the corner for, head hung in shame????? :cry:

LOL -- It is over and done with... so, you've had your punishment, say 10 "Our Judith's" and you will be forgiven. ;)

MM

Hi! Have just seen your post about the sandwich on Alli's thread and thought I'd pop over here...
Firstly, don't beat yourself up! You've been following other plans for long enough that they're like second nature. SW works differently, and it's just going to take time to get in to the swing of things. No biggie!
Regarding your sandwich... it will seem like just tuna and cucumber, but they always hide extra things inside, sneaky feckers. The bread won't be a Healthy Extra, as the only bread that can be is from one of those small 400g loaves. You could probably count one slice as a HE, and the rest would have to be synned. Syns are applied to anything that is not free or superfree, so there must have been some sort of mayo or something that contributes to the syns.
Now, you can generally go with the rule, 1 syn = 20 cals. Presuming that nothing in your sandwich was free, (ie. you were not using half of the bread as a HE) 255 cals / 20 = 12.75 syns (round up to 13). Their syns calculator comes out the same, and I'm pretty sure it's to do with the bread...

But, panic not! If you went over your syns, then just cut back for a day or two. No problem! It's worth being a little prepared, though. I will usually roast a whole load of veg and prepare some couscous the night before so I have plenty of lunches for the week. All free stuff. You could try cooking a bit extra when you make dinner so that you have some for lunch. Or, just make a different choice at the supermarket (where possible) - today I went to the local Tesco Metro at lunch time and got a bag of salad leaves, a packet of Uncle Ben's wholegrain microwave rice and a packet of chicken pieces. It was delicious, simple and filling. Maybe you could try keeping some couscous packets or Mugshots in your handbag/desk drawer so that you just need to add boiling water.

There are so many things you can do, it's just going to take a while to get your head around it. Chin up! x

Hi! Have just seen your post about the sandwich on Alli's thread and thought I'd pop over here...
Firstly, don't beat yourself up! You've been following other plans for long enough that they're like second nature. SW works differently, and it's just going to take time to get in to the swing of things. No biggie!
Regarding your sandwich... it will seem like just tuna and cucumber, but they always hide extra things inside, sneaky feckers. The bread won't be a Healthy Extra, as the only bread that can be is from one of those small 400g loaves. You could probably count one slice as a HE, and the rest would have to be synned. Syns are applied to anything that is not free or superfree, so there must have been some sort of mayo or something that contributes to the syns.
Now, you can generally go with the rule, 1 syn = 20 cals. Presuming that nothing in your sandwich was free, (ie. you were not using half of the bread as a HE) 255 cals / 20 = 12.75 syns (round up to 13). Their syns calculator comes out the same, and I'm pretty sure it's to do with the bread...

But, panic not! If you went over your syns, then just cut back for a day or two. No problem! It's worth being a little prepared, though. I will usually roast a whole load of veg and prepare some couscous the night before so I have plenty of lunches for the week. All free stuff. You could try cooking a bit extra when you make dinner so that you have some for lunch. Or, just make a different choice at the supermarket (where possible) - today I went to the local Tesco Metro at lunch time and got a bag of salad leaves, a packet of Uncle Ben's wholegrain microwave rice and a packet of chicken pieces. It was delicious, simple and filling. Maybe you could try keeping some couscous packets or Mugshots in your handbag/desk drawer so that you just need to add boiling water.

There are so many things you can do, it's just going to take a while to get your head around it. Chin up! x
Thank you Little sausage, for your reply. I have looked at the list of ingredients and it says that the dressing is low fat, made with fromage frais....still you live and learn. I just seem to be making so many mistakes I feel like giving up, especially as the scales have moved up by a couple of lbs over the last day or so :sigh:

Thanks for your tips re preparing lunches. I will try to get myself more organised.......its either that or give up all together....which I really dont want to do.

Thanks again.

x

No giving up! There is a massive amount of support and, between all of us, you'll find a huge amount of knowledge. It'll just take time!

Also... it sounds like you're weighing yourself every day! Noooooooo... that's a sure-fire way to get yourself down.
Do you go to a group? Or are you doing this online? Personally, I'd recommend a group, but there are loads of successful people following online, so I'm definitely not knocking it.

Remember, Food Optimising is ALL about the free and superfree food. Whether lunch or supper, make sure that at least 1/3 of your plate/tupperware pot is superfree stuff. I promise you that the plan works... it'll just take a bit of getting used to. x

Hi LittleSausage,

I joined online for 3 months, would I be able to attend a group as part of the subscription do you think or have to pay weekly at a group? I thought I could manage it all online, with the support on minis but maybe it would be better to attend a group.

So many questions......... :D

I know! It is tough, but you'll do it!
I think you'd have to join a group separately, I'm afraid... Maybe you can see out the 3 month online, then join a group? Alternatively, call them up and see if you can cancel your online subscription if you join a group instead...

I think a good idea would be to pick up the 7 day meal plan from the website and go to the supermarket! That way you can be sure that you're sticking to the plan. Make sure you have LOADS of fresh fruit and veg, and some free snacks/Healthy Extras. The cereal bars are excellent, and something like a Fibre Plus bar really feels like a treat. 2 Alpen Light bars are a Healthy Extra, or 6 syns (3 syns each) so are great to keep in your handbag and have a low syn treat if you need one!

Day 5, getting back up again after a tumble

Right......I've given my ar$e a darn good kicking and I've done the following:-

Stopped off at Sainsburys on the way home from work and bought
Strawberries
Grapes
brown rice (2 min microwave jobby)
wholewheat pasta
eggs
0% fat free greek yogurt
muller light flavoured yogurts
Baked beans
chopped tins of tomatoes
low fat sausages

Tonight for dinner I had extra lean mince, with onions, stock cubes, chopped tomatoes, chopped celery all added (free) and had that with the rice (free) and grapes. I have also made two flavours of sugar free jelly, which I can have with the fruit yogurts or the greek yogurt, for when I fancy something sweet and that is all free food too.

I've treated myself to a nice serum which is supposed to sort out wrinkles lol and cleansed face, applied serum, plus another moisturiser to feed my poor, dry skin. I've cleaned the kitchen, so it will be nicer to wake up to and get something for my lunch prepared in the morning.

How can I let myself get so down about eating and dieting? It is scary how badly it affects me and I've got to nip it in the bud. The downward spiral seems like it is never far away and it doesn't take an awful lot to send me there.

I am going nowhere near my bathroom scales until next Tuesday....and that is a promise.

xxxx

Last edited:
Day 6

Very relieved to have reeled myself back in yesterday evening.

I woke up really early today, having been in the middle of the most awful dream. I had to be cremated whilst I was still alive for some reason. There were people around me as I was lying in my coffin, one of whom was a Doctor. He was explaining that I would be given an injection to paralyse my muscles and also a very strong sedative. I could hear the furnace firing up and he was telling someone that this would be the worst part for me. Anyway, I had the injection so I couldn't move and then the sedative, which failed to work. They were just putting the lid on the coffin and I was terrified but couldn't let anyone know this and then I woke up. I was in a bit of a state, and knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep.

It did give me plenty of time to get my food organised for taking to work though. I made a fruit salad, a green salad, with tuna and couscous, which I will have at lunchtime.

I also brought with me a couple of Muller Light yogurts.

Breakfast: Grapes, strawberries and 0% yogurt.
Tea and coffee.

Lunch: As above

Dinner: Not decided yet, will post later

Not sure I will always be this organised but realise that this is the only way to make this successful, just hope I don't have any more horrific dreams in order to do it :(

Have a great day everyone :D

Oh no! That sounds absolutely horrific :(

Glad, though, that you managed to get organised for today. And your lunch sounds good! All free and superfree foods. Excellent!
Did you have milk in your tea and coffee? If so, are you counting that as your Healthy Extra, or are you synning it?

Maybe you could prepare your lunch for tomorrow when you get home this evening. That would make life easy, and is a great habit to get in to. I roasted a HUGE load of mediterranean vegetables last night, and I will pop out at lunch time for some wholegrain rice that I can just stick in the microwave. Nice and easy, and sticking to the free food!

Hope you have a great day! x

Morning LS, I am having the milk as HEA. If I need more I will syn it.

I am hoping I will be able to sort out my lunch for tomorrow but being as I am one of the most disorganised people I know.....I won't hold my breath. I do understand though that I really need to sort that side of my personality out (along with other traits lol)

Yes, the dream was horrible. It wasn't clear why I was having to be cremated alive but it seemed to be my decision......think I am ready for the funny farm :D

So glad you are keeping an eye on me to make sure I am doing things correctly. At the moment, this way of eating seems like a mine field. Thanks. x

OMG -- What are you eating, drinking or taking before you go to bed!?

Very relieved to have reeled myself back in yesterday evening.

I knew you would! Yay!

I woke up really early today, having been in the middle of the most awful dream. I had to be cremated whilst I was still alive for some reason. There were people around me as I was lying in my coffin, one of whom was a Doctor. He was explaining that I would be given an injection to paralyse my muscles and also a very strong sedative. I could hear the furnace firing up and he was telling someone that this would be the worst part for me. Anyway, I had the injection so I couldn't move and then the sedative, which failed to work. They were just putting the lid on the coffin and I was terrified but couldn't let anyone know this and then I woke up. I was in a bit of a state, and knew I wouldn't be able to get back to sleep.

OMG -- I am going to a funeral and cremation on Tuesday... now I'll have to make certain that Monica is really gone! This is so freaky.

It did give me plenty of time to get my food organised for taking to work though. I made a fruit salad, a green salad, with tuna and couscous, which I will have at lunchtime.

That's a plus. I try to make DD and Dh's dinner the night before -- usually whilst I am preparing dinner.

I also brought with me a couple of Muller Light yogurts.

Breakfast: Grapes, strawberries and 0% yogurt.
Tea and coffee.

Lunch: As above

Dinner: Not decided yet, will post later

Good -- I'm interested in what it'll be. I am going to make DH a Cob Salad for tomorrow's lunch (it was supposed to be for today, but I did not make lunch last night, so I only made DD's in morning. But, I had bought 5 Healthy Choice frozen meals for DH yesterday, for those disorganised days.

Not sure I will always be this organised but realise that this is the only way to make this successful, just hope I don't have any more horrific dreams in order to do it :(

Have a great day everyone :D

Beck is big on the planning -- and I can see why.

Hi Yang,

I hope your day is going well. I am trying to "perk up". Just walked the little dog with my neighbour. It is windy, but at least it was not raining.

MM

Excellent! Well, if preparing yourself lunch when you get home is likely to be a bit hit or miss, just make sure that you cook extra dinner tonight and put it in a tupperware for tomorrow. That way, you don't even have to think about it!

Do you make sure you measure your milk as a Healthy Extra? One tip we were given on my first evening at group is to measure your milk out (350ml skimmed or 250ml semi or 150ml whole) pour it in to an empty water bottle and mark that amount in pen on the bottle. That way you can just pour your milk in to the bottle every time, and you can have your morning coffee/tea and take the rest to work with you. I just have a splash of skimmed milk in 3 cups of coffee every day, (1 pint lasts me the whole week at work) and have started synning that so that I can have some cheese or something in the evening!

x

Excellent! Well, if preparing yourself lunch when you get home is likely to be a bit hit or miss, just make sure that you cook extra dinner tonight and put it in a tupperware for tomorrow. That way, you don't even have to think about it!

Do you make sure you measure your milk as a Healthy Extra? One tip we were given on my first evening at group is to measure your milk out (350ml skimmed or 250ml semi or 150ml whole) pour it in to an empty water bottle and mark that amount in pen on the bottle. That way you can just pour your milk in to the bottle every time, and you can have your morning coffee/tea and take the rest to work with you. I just have a splash of skimmed milk in 3 cups of coffee every day, (1 pint lasts me the whole week at work) and have started synning that so that I can have some cheese or something in the evening!

x
I have been very good on that score LS, measuring out my milk into a tupperware container with a lid. I have had three drinks with the milk from that so far and have now switched to black decaf coffee. I have only a splash of milk in tea anyway.....cannot bear milky tea. My DD2 has half a mug of milk in her tea and when I have to make it for her I literally heave :p

I have given cheese a miss so far, and will do for a while. It's not exactly a trigger food but there are other things I would rather have as syns of HEA's.

Appreciate your input a lot :D

@ MM

OMG I don't know whether I should laugh or not, when you said that you had better make sure Monica had 'gone' :8855:It is a bit spooky though!!!! I've always said that I wanted to be cremated and I've made it part of my will, I just hope that someone makes bl**dy sure I am dead before they light the oven :D

Hi Yang and LS --

It sounds as if you are both being good planners and level headed. Maybe this SW thing isn't so complicated after all.

MM

Hi Yang,

I am hoping it is an open casket. Otherwise, how will I be able to check?

MM

Back