chewing bloody gum

miasmom

hi guys

i reaaallllllyy need to chew gum, is there anything out there that us atkins folk can have?

im upset about it........its a scandal!

Anything sugar free is fine. I always have some on hand, mostly because drinking so much water can (ironically) dry my mouth out - it washes away the natural saliva levels (niiiice!), which you need to keep your mouth moist and your teeth healthy. The old "Atkins breath" can sometimes be a problem too!

Yes I see what you mean miasmom but my pack says "Per 100g: Carb 66g (of which sugars 0g; polyols 66g)". Polyols can be discounted as they do not affect your blood sugar they are not 'useable' carbs, so should not affect ketosis. And as made says, you are only eating a tiny fraction of 100g in each piece (and not technically 'eating' it anyways...)

I've never even thought about counting carbs in sugar free gum... i have the odd piece at work to keep me mind off food. Like LM says, you don't really eat it as such and the polyols don't count.

well thank you guys for clearing that up for me, didnt know about the polyols for starters and really i should have worked out that 1 piece of gum isnt 100g.....im so stupid.

im happy now that i dont have to stress and cringe when i eat gum

cheers

careful with the not counting polyols thing though. it can really stall you if you have them in large amounts, like in diabetic sweets or sugar free sweets for example. I doubt the odd bit of gum will make a difference but i know a few people have come acropper when low carbing due to this...

I used to chew the Dentine cinnamon gum, I'm sure that was 0 carbs

I only chew on gum when I have a date and dont want dog breath :argh::giggle:and even then I count the carbs.

I'm popping out to do my weekly shop, I'm going to look for that dentine cinnamon chewing gum and this smoked sausage that everyone keeps talking about :)

Cherry, check out if I'm right about the 0 carbs on that gum love.

Cherry, check out if I'm right about the 0 carbs on that gum love.

I couldn't find it Jim. I'll try and hunt it down and look in other shops.

OK, thanks love.

Back