chewing gum ?

Well.... on the S&S site it says in the bit about VLCDs-

I seem to have a bad breath?

A mild ketosis may develop when on any very low calorie diet and this may affect your breath slightly. Simply brush your teeth more often, and use mouth wash, sugar-free chewing gum or breath fresheners.

However I asked the same thing when I started and got the answer from most not to have it. For one reason chewing may make you hungry, but I know thats not the case with me as I use gum NOT to eat! The more important thing is that chewing on a VLCD, with an empty tummy, makes the stomach produce excess acid which puts you at risk of an ulcer.

I've chewed the same brand of gum for 20 years or so, since I was at primary school! But since I started S&S I stopped. I have 2-3 Smint mints a day because they are the smallest mint I can find and I need SOMETHING! They are really high carb though, I have yet to find a low-carb sugar-free mint, sigh.

oh that's a bit of a poo, i always have a gum it does suppress my appetite, but suupose i will be drinking more, thanks x

apparantly trebor extra strong peppermint gum is ok, although i prefer spearmint, will have to see if i can go without.

have just looked on the atkins site it says trebor , trident sugarfree, and wrigleys sugar free are ok, and they do a spearmint, if i am wrong please someone put me straight.

have just looked on the atkins site it says trebor , trident sugarfree, and wrigleys sugar free are ok, and they do a spearmint, if i am wrong please someone put me straight.

It's of course up to you, I just worry about ulcers so I quit completely!

When I did lighter life I used a breath spray called retardex and that seemed to be ok.
I'll be using it again soon, my mouth feels mingin, wouldn't have thought you'd use enough to have any ketostis side effects but I'm no expert.
Anyone else used this?

I haven't used retardex but I've seen that lots of people on LL do.

I use breath freshner, always have since started LT too! and never gave me any problems, ive also tried the breath strips but i tend to fly through them, so i carry a travel tooth brush and small tooth paste around with me! as im a beautician and tutor i have to get close to people, so having nice breath is an absolute must for me! i have tried gum and it made me more hungry with awful stomach pains, i do suffer from reflux so it doesnt help me! im sugar theres some sugar free mints out there! i know weight watchers used to do some

I have sugar free polos. I used these when low carbing without a problem. Just make sure you don't eat too many in one go though!

Back