Chicken Soup

There is a recipe for Old-Fashioned Chicken Soup in the new Family Feasts for a Fiver SW cookbook.

I have amended the recipe to suit my tastes, and the fact that I only cook for myself so didn't want to use a whole chicken. Also, I am not that keen on parsnips, and never used dried herbs, so I left them out.

The recipe as amended reads as follows:

CHICKEN SOUP
6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
1 large carrot, peeled and thickly sliced
312g/11oz celeriac, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 large leek, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1 chicken Knorr Stockpot
Water
Salt and Pepper

Trim the chicken thighs of any visible fat, cut in half, and put in a large saucepan. Add the vegetables. Dissolve the Stockpot in 1 litre boiling water and pour over the chicken and vegetables. Bring to the boil, turn down the heat, season with salt and pepper, cover and simmer for an hour.
Take out the celeriac chunks and some of the other vegetables, with some of the liquid, and liquidise until smooth in a blender or using a hand-held blender in a bowl. Take out the chicken pieces and shred into small pieces. Return the chicken and the liquidised vegetables to the pan and reheat gently, stirring, until smooth and really hot. Taste and add more seasoning if necessary.

This made three good-sized bowls of soup - I had two for my dinner last night and one for lunch today. Liquidising the celeriac made the soup nice and smooth and it tasted wonderful.

I am going to make it again this weekend, as I still have some celeriac left, and I think I might add some fresh tarragon this time, as it always goes well with chicken.

The recipe as it appears in the book also has pasta in it, and as I didn't bother with that, and also left out the parsnips, it makes the soup FREE!!! on Original as well as Extra Easy.

see if you add some chopped dried spaghetti to it that really makes it a filling soup :)

The original recipe has pasta in it, but I left it out because I wanted it to be free on a red day.

But if you are doing EE, then obviously you can include it and it would make it more filling.

I made it again yesterday. This time I liquidised the carrot as well as the celeriac, to make a slightly thicker soup and it was lovely.

And I added some chopped fresh tarragon at the very end. Delicious.

I have a portion left for my lunch - can't wait!!

Back