Child Tax credits question

Discussion in 'Slimming World Off Topic' started by big bear, 14 June 2010 Social URL.

1. big bear

big bear A bear on a mission!

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    As some of you work for the benefits office not sure if it's this benefit or if you can help.

My wee boy is 18mths old and before he turned 1 we got under £100 a month for his tax credit but since then it's been halved.

The thing is last year I was on maternity from my job till August, I then got made redundant and signed on until beginning of December when I started back to work again part time. Surely I'd be entitled to more?

How can I appeal or see if the calculation is wrong?

Should I not be entitled to Working Tax Credit also?

My husband doesn't earn loads under £24K...

My friend who has 1 child and earns over £30K and her husband earns over £25K gets alot more than us.

I know each case is different but I can't help but think it's wrong..

Anyone help or give any advice...is there a certain amount that you earn that cuts tax credits...they really confuse me.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. emmaleonie1984

emmaleonie1984 Full Member

Diet:
    Slimminworld
    Hi Hun i cant help alot but i was told you have to earning under £16,000 to get working taxcredit so as your husband is earning more than that you are not entitled to that. I think if you have a income over £20,000 apparently your husband can support the family on that!! Im in the same position, my partner earns £21,500 and when i go back to work part-time i will be on £9,000. We will get when sophie turns one in october £40 a month! If i was to give up work we would be entitled to £200 a month, still not a lot but like i said they see that my partner should be able to support us...
    Emx

4. big bear

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Thanks Emma, you seem to be in a very similar situation.

I'm also preggers so it's due in October maybe it'll go up again slightly that's if the PM doesn't cut CTC. :D

5. mommyB

mommyB love it

Start Weight:
    14st13lb
    Current Weight:
    14st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st6lb(2.87%)
    I would ring them and just ask them to check to figs or tell you why it reduced-sometimes its related to the age of the child,but that doesnt seem to fit in your case as he/she ( sorry !!) is so young.

My hubbys wage is more than you mention,and my wage is a pittance and for our 2 girls we get £42 a month-the last review form we had said we were still entitiled as long as we didnt expect to earn more than £75 this year-i wish !!

6. big bear

Start Weight:
    14st7lb
    Diet:
    slimming world
    Thanks - they said that because he'd turned 1 the baby element of CTC was reduced.

I'm going to call them to double check everything..

7. ilovelife

ilovelife Wishing and hoping!

Have you trhought having a benefit calculatior - some one at the job centre or benefit line can do one and tell you exactly what you are entitled to.

8. Jennyonaplate

Jennyonaplate Gold Member

Diet:
    Slimming World
    This site looks like it can work out what you're entitled to. Might be worth a look.

Benefits Search

9. tinkerbellsmum

tinkerbellsmum Gold Member

Start Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Current Weight:
    13st13.5lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st7lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    healthy eating
    yeah think it will be cause you have lost under 1 allowance. that entiled to site is good got ours spot on.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.