children & the diet help!

no1mom23

Silver Member
Hoping to get some advice. My oldest is nearly 7yrs old and she seems to be noticing everything. She asked me if id lost any of my weight and with surprise i asked what was she talking about? She said she heard me talking to daddy. She's also asking why im not making burgers with them, why i didnt have the fry with them etc hubby trying to help. Hes not having his dinner until the kids go to bed & told them wer eating together. I need to do this diet but worrying what effect it will have on the kids (especially the oldest)

Any suggestions on how to handle this?

Gosh, that's an interesting one. I have 2 boys (11 and 6). I haven't hidden my packs but I guess what's helped(had they been interested in what I'm up to) is that I have the protein plus veg/salad in the evening and I build their meals around what I'm having.
Kids today are quite sophisticated and my way is to to be as open and honest as sensibly possible because whatever we try to shield them from, they will find out anyway, so best guide them about how to handle whatever they are exposed to.
If your little girl doesn't hear about dieting from you, she'll certainly hear about it from someone else (it's amazing what you hear tots conversing about in playgrounds) so you're the best person to shape her attitude and perception of it all.

Hope you find way that works for you x

My seven year old and three year old r the same. Very observant wee boys! I've been very honest about the fact that I'd eaten way too much of the wrong foods and it made me bigger than I should be. We have never allowed the word "fat" to be used in our house. Arran (7) knows I looked bigger than some of the other mums and sees me looking nearer the "normal " size now. I have explained that my shakes and bars are just to help me and as soon as I'm a healthy weight I'll be eating lots of fresh fruit and veggies. He does seem to understand. I wasn't remotely healthy before and they did see me eat a pile of crap so I don't see how this can be worse?! (even tho my sis thinks its terrible that the boys know I'm using shakes etc)

I don't have kids but I would have thought that it's what you help them understand about dieting like Maka and Slinky have said that is important rather than them hearing things from others that might be wrong or put the wrong message into their heads. It's a bit like sex education I guess. Better that they hear it from you and understand it than in the playground. I wouldn't have thought that the fact that you have shakes or whatever makes much difference to be honest.

my 5 year old hasnt said anything about the packs but I did tell him from the start that I would not be able to eat the same as him for a while because I want to get rid of my big belly , so he doesnt offer me sweets anymore , and says you are trying to make your belly smaller arent you mum ?

I also explained to him that I want a smaller belly so I can run around with him and not feel so heavy ,and also to keep my heart healthy (he has a heart condition so I knew he would get this) it seemed easier than saying I wanted to lose weight , im not sure he would understand that concept as easily and it means i dont say words like "diet " and "lose weight"

I dont think he even notices now , maybe because its just me and him and I would often make different meals for us anyway

I can imagine that it might be trickier with girls , they tend to be more aware of image and how they look

I think honesty is the best policy , but Id never say that its becasue I want to look better or i feel bad about myself being fat/overweight , I focus on the health side of it and the things I want to do that I cant when I feel heavy

I have a nosey 6 yr old so there is no point hiding it. She knows I'm on a diet to be more healthy. She tries to offer me a sweet but I just say thanks its nice to share but mummy doesn't want one.

I try to have a meal in the evening with them but they are used to me having something different to them as I am veggie.

I haven't told anyone about the vlcd ( I cant be doing with the resulting negativity from those that just dont get it). This may be more difficult from today though as when playing shops at nannies today she asked me what I wanted from the shops I said I don't know so she said "yes you do you want a biggest loser meal replacement bar"! Nothing gets past that girl!!

Ive done ww for years and exante last year and they know mommy didnt eat very healthy and far too many treats. There daddy goes to the gym regular and they know exercise helps keep you healthy. I just feel this time round they seem fixated on what im doing. You here more and more about very young kids developing eating disorders. She came in to me b4 bed and said her & her sister where on a diet. I told her that both of them were healthy the ate healthy food & do regular exercise & theyr perfect. I said i wasnt on a diet i just wanted to be healthier. Guess you just worry what inpact what your doing is having on them.

On a lighter note, my boys were out in the car with daddy and they saw a group of local runners. Ewan (4) says "daddy, are they the biggest losers?!......I had to change my tena lady when I heard that!!

slinky1131 said:
On a lighter note, my boys were out in the car with daddy and they saw a group of local runners. Ewan (4) says "daddy, are they the biggest losers?!......I had to change my tena lady when I heard that!!

Lol very good

Back