Chocolate Banana

EllieWood

Hi guys,

This is not a recipe as such but I have this for pudding all the time and think its delicious.

Slit a banana lengthways but don't cut all the way through. Then put some good quality dark chocolate pieces in the slit and bake in the oven for about 10 minutes. The skin of the banana will go black but inside the chocolate will melt and the banana goes all gooey. I break up and put about 3 squares of chocolate in, which I work out to be about one syn a square so for 3 syns I think this is well worth it. I think you need to use a good dark chocolate as you get a real chocolate hit and I use Green & Black's Maya Gold which has a orangey/spiced flavour.

Just use a spoon to eat the gooey chocolate banana out the skin.

I've also done this on the BBQ and seems to work even better.

As I'm writing this though, I'm wondering if the banana would be syns as it's being heated/cooked?

Yes there are other threads on this - you have to syn the banana because you are cooking it - 4 syns for a medium banana

It seems sooooooo unfair 4 syns for a warm banana!!!

when you cook fruit it changes something in it so its not like when you puree its synned its cos something about it changes in its make up.

This reminds me of my Girl Guide days - we used to do the same on the BBQ after eating with chocolate buttons in the middle. Sooooo yummy but I would never have thought of having to syn the banana so good job I read this one :) xxx

I'd refuse to syn one cooked banana - cooking the banana does not change the sugar content at all, therefore what you have is still one piece of fruit. If you were having cooked bananas mashed up in a cake, then fair enough as the cooked fruit take sup less space due to water loss during cooking (which means more fruit in a given volume).

Banana Nutrition After Baking

In terms of nutritional value, bananas are rich in potassium, riboflavin, niacin and fiber, making them a nutritious snack. While baking a banana by itself will change the texture and temperature of the banana, the nutritional facts stay relative to the ripeness of the banana.

Banana Nutrition Facts

A single serving of a ripe banana, approximately 7 1/4 inches long, contains 110 calories and .47 grams of total fat. With respect to potassium, a banana has 463 milligrams per serving. Each serving of banana has approximately 1.56 grams of protein, as well as 14 percent of your daily recommended carbohydrates. In addition, bananas are composed of 2 percent of your daily recommended intake of Vitamin A, as well as 15 percent of Vitamin C.

Ripeness Variations

While your typical ripe banana will not change in nutritional value during the baking process, the ripeness of the banana itself will have a direct effect on moisture levels and the overall nutritional value of the fruit itself. According to the African Journal of Biotechnology, as a banana ripens, its magnesium levels decrease. In addition, moisture content increases in bananas until they become overripe, resulting in a dried, discolored banana. While baking bananas, the temperature of the oven will cause the bananas to prematurely ripen. This premature ripening results in changes to the magnesium content and moisture found in the bananas.

Banana Baking

While it is possible for you to bake bananas without additional ingredients, it is more common to incorporate bananas into other, more ambitious baked goods, such as breads, cakes and cookies. The nutritional value of a banana in this context may change in that the banana is usually mashed with flour, sugar, baking soda, butter and a variety of other ingredients. After the ingredients are baked together, the nutritional value of the banana itself would only have changed if the banana has absorbed some of the sugars and ingredients during the baking process.

Caution

While baking bananas is a healthy and flavorful way to enjoy them, it is important that you use proper caution when consuming bananas of varying degrees of ripeness. Bananas that are green and unripe inhibit the enzyme amylase, resulting in the consumption of proteins that limit the digestion of complex carbohydrates. In addition, overripe bananas run the risk of developing mold or other types of bacteria on them. If you notice any discoloration on the banana or skin of the banana, that is not a natural darkening, do not consume it. Natural darkening will turn the peel of the banana black or brown, while mold or bacteria will appear white or green.

Read more: Banana Nutrition After Baking | LIVESTRONG.COM

Wow! I know so much more about banana. I am with you I wouldn't syn 1 banana. I think the rule is silly. But if I was blending like 4 of them in a shake of course I'd syn them.

The dessert sounds interesting though. Thanks original poster.

Back