Chocolate Chickpea Cake

BritMumInCanada

Gold Member
dsc_0290.jpg

Ingredients
1 400g tin of Chickpeas drained and rinsed (5 syns per 28g)
3 eggs
1 tablespoon of vanilla essence
1oz of cocoa powder (4.5 syns)
1 tablespoon of golden syrup (2 syns)
3/4 cup of sweetener
1 teaspoon of baking powder (0.5 syns)
Method
Preheat oven to 190c or 374f
Spray a cake tin with some spray oil
Add all the ingredients to a blender and blitz until smooth.
Pour mixture into cake tin and bake in oven for approx 40mins.
serve topped with quark or fromage frais mixed with some sweetener and vanilla essence and then top with fresh strawberries.

I have edited this recipe to reflect the rules re: using chickpeas as a substitute for flour in a recipe.

Last edited:
nope I couldnt taste any chick peas, it was a great substitute for proper chocolate cake and was lovely with the cream and strawberries :D

Oooo i have just made this and i have to say its lovely!!! More like a brownie than a cake as it doesnt rise obviously, but a brilliant substitute if your missing something chocolatey! Its yum!!x

I made this cake last night and took it into work. The 4 of us are all dieting and so it was a nice treat.

IT WAS DELICIOUS!

We had it with reduced fat squirty cream and redcurrants on top.

Honestly, you have to try this.
Yum yum x

This looks lovely and i'm hoping to give it a go today, does anyone know how many syns it is on a red day? I am only doing red at the moment. Thank you

I made this, but found it wasn't sweet enough. So I broke it up into chunks and put it in a flan dish. Then I made up 2 sugar free jellies (one wasn't enough) and covered the cake and added some chopped bananas to make a kind of trifle. Yummy - it tastes like Frys Turkish Delight - if that still exists? If the cake is 10 syns, then adding 2 jellies makes the whole trifle about 13 syns.

I made this last night for our taster night in class, came home with one tiny slice left so methinks it was well liked!!! My first go at using chick peas and you couldnt taste them at all, although got a bit bored blending so there were some chick pea halves in there but nice still!

I made this and thought it was really nice, I couldnt taste the chickpeas at all and would definately recommend anyone trying this out, its one of my low syn favourites-Thanks for letting us know about it

Bumping this for the benefit of any new members. Plus, I have one in the oven...YUM

This looks mega yummy! We have a taster session in our class next week so might have to give this a go!!

ahhhhh so how many syns does that make it now?

It makes it quite high in syns, which is why the recipe is no longer on my blog. When all the rumours where floating around about using chickpeas in cakes being synned. I contacted slimming world to confirm, and it is indeed synned, so I have removed it so not confuse anyone. 28g of chickpeas when used in a recipe as a subsitute for flour is 5 syns, the same goes for things like cous cous. I think there is 400g in a tin of chickenpeas which makes it nearly 5 x 8, which would make it over 40 syns for the entire cake (if my maths is right lol) when you include the syns for the cocoa powder and the golden syrup.

There are many who chose to ignore this and still count it as free. But the way I see it is, if you want to stick to the plan 100%, then you need to stick to slimming worlds rules. Some are lucky to still lose when eating these types of things regularly, so if it does work for you then that is fine, but if the weight starts to stop coming off, then you know why.

I tend to just stick to cake recipes I know are allowed when I make a cake and syn the ingredients that need to be synned. Scan Bran and Weetabix are great for making a low synned cake, even when not using them as a HEb.

Back