Choosing the right butternut squash

Discussion in 'Slimming World' started by Honeyoc, 3 May 2010 Social URL.

1. Honeyoc

Honeyoc Is a crunchy mama!

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st9lb
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating
    I adore butternut squash but lately I've been getting some really awful ones. They seem to be either stringy (bleurgh!) or tasteless. I'm still shopping in the same places (Waitrose, Sainsbury's, weekend farmer's market) so I'm not sure what's gone wrong. Is there anything I should look out for when selecting a lovely ripe sweet butternut squash? Or are they out of season now? Thanks!

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. niknaks

niknaks Silver Member

Start Weight:
    17st12lb
    Current Weight:
    14st9lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st13lb
    Lost(%):
    3st3lb(18%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Apparently the small ones are sweeter. Also look for ones which are scratch and bruise free.

I used to get big ones but they were quite bland.

4. olliebog

olliebog Full Member

Start Weight:
    12st0lb
    Current Weight:
    12st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st0lb
    Lost(%):
    0st0lb(0%)
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    I always get my butternut squash from Lidl's. Haven't had a bad one yet. But I have a feeling they maybe out of season, because I am sure they are a Autumn Harvest?

5. Honeyoc

Honeyoc Is a crunchy mama!

Start Weight:
    13st13lb
    Goal Weight:
    9st9lb
    Diet:
    Healthy Eating
    Ah that makes sense... I did suspect they were out of season as well. Just seemed too uncanny for every single one I've bought in the last 3 weeks to be bad.

Niknaks I was told the opposite, to buy bigger ones because the flavour is sweeter and more mature lol... Sigh!

6. StaceyUK

StaceyUK Gold Member

Start Weight:
    18st1.6lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st10lb
    Diet:
    Slimming World
    Ewww I hate when I get a stringy one! It really peeves me off as I look forward to my squash wedges with my dinner! I keep looking at for acorn squash - I used to get them from waitrose in the summer and they are lovely! Really nice cut up into 4 large pieces, roasted with cajun spices on them.

7. avisk

avisk xx

Diet:
    Slimming World
    I had one from Tesco today which was lovely. The one from Waitrose last week was fine too.

Choose one which has an unbroken skin and which weighs heavy. If it feels too light then it won't be good.

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.