Green Day My Year in Soups

WEEK 20

Allotment vegetable and bean soup
½ syn per serving on green and EE
Serves 4

28 squirts berio olive olive spray (2 syns)
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 small turnip, diced
1 leek, finely sliced
2 carrots, diced
1 stick celery, diced
1 courgette, diced
1 large potato, diced
2 tomatoes, skinned and diced
2L vegetable stock or water
1 can haricot beans, drained and rinsed
175g Fine green beans, chopped
Green pesto, to serve (optional)

Heat the oil in a large saucepan.
Add the turnip, leek, carrots, celery, courgette, tomatoes, garlic and potato then cook over a medium heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until softened.
Add the stock, bring to boil then reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
Add the haricot beans and fine green beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
Season to taste with salt and black pepper.
Serve topped with a tsp of green pesto for extra flavour (syns depending on brand)

Another great soup because its packed with superfree foods. Well worth topping with green pesto, I use use Asda reduced fat green pesto which is only half a syn for a teaspoon :)

Last edited:
WEEK 21

Moroccan roasted sweet potato soup
Serves 4
Negligible syns on Green and EE

675g sweet potato, cut into large chunks
6 large shallots, quartered
1 carrot, cut into large chunks
2 cloves garlic
1 tbsp harissa powder
900mls vegetable stock
1 tsp honey (1 syn)
Lemon juice
Natural yoghurt to serve

Preheat oven to GM6
Add sweet potato, shallots, and carrot to a roasting dish with whole garlic cloves. Season with black pepper
Spray generously with olive oil frylight, sprinkle with harissa powder then toss until the vegetables are coated. Spray with more frylight as required.
Roast vegetables for around 40 minutes, turning occasionally.
Squeeze the roasted garlic from the cloves, add the honey and mix well.
Return to a pan with the stock then blend until smooth.
Reheat gently then add a squeeze of lemon juice.
Season to taste and serve with a swirl of fat free yoghurt.

The recipe this is based on called for using 1 tbsp harissa paste and 2 tbsp olive oil. I didn't have any paste but did have powder although I wasn't sure how much to use. As it happens I ended up adding too much as I misread the recipe - it was a bit spicy!! 1 tbsp should be fine though and of course you could just harissa paste as its not that high in syns.

WEEK 22

Chunky potato and bean soup
Serves 4
Free on Green and EE

600g potatoes, peeled and diced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 carrot, diced
1 stick celery, sliced
400g tin mixed beans
1½ tsp dried mixed herbs
2 vegetable stock cube
850ml water
2 tsp tomato purée
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp freshly chopped parsley

Heat olive oil frylight in a large saucepan and gently fry the garlic, carrot, celery and potatoes for 3-4 minutes. Add the remaining ingredients and bring to the boil. Simmer for 10-15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Season to taste and sprinkle with the parsley to serve.

Adapted from this recipe but I wanted more of a tomato soup so I used mixed beans in a tomato sauce instead of plain. I should have reduced the amount of stock because of this but I didn't and had to cook it for a bit longer to get the thickness I was looking for. Lots of other good recipes on the site too so well worth a visit

Chunky Potato And Bean Soup | Love Potatoes

Hi, I thought you would be he woman to ask; I've just made a soup using sainsburys casserole veg mix... I used a veg stock as we'll I blended the veg when cooked... Is this free on ee? I know the contents are but I'm unsure as to whether it stays free when blended/puréed?

Thanks

Hi, I thought you would be he woman to ask; I've just made a soup using sainsburys casserole veg mix... I used a veg stock as we'll I blended the veg when cooked... Is this free on ee? I know the contents are but I'm unsure as to whether it stays free when blended/puréed?

Thanks

Yes it should be free - it's only fruit you have to syn when blended. You just have to be careful with some of the soup mixes as they sometimes have oil in them, or asda does one with coconut, and these are not free xx

Yes it should be free - it's only fruit you have to syn when blended. You just have to be careful with some of the soup mixes as they sometimes have oil in them, or asda does one with coconut, and these are not free xx

I just got a casserole veg mix and cooked it then blitzed it x

WEEK 23

Roasted red pepper and potato soup
Serves 4
Free on Green and EE

3 red peppers
1 medium onion, peeled and finely chopped
2 celery stalks, diced
1 large garlic clove, lightly crushed
1⁄2–1 red chilli, depending on strength, finely chopped
1 large potato, peeled and diced
Salt and black pepper
700ml vegetable or chicken stock
Large handful of spinach leaves, roughly chopped
Fat free natural yoghurt to serve (optional)

1. Heat the oven to its maximum setting. Lay the peppers on a baking tray, spray with olive oil frylight and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until blackened all over. Remove from the oven, put into a bowl and cover with clingfilm, or put into a plastic food bag to sweat. This will help to loosen the skins.
2. Meanwhile, fry the onion, celery and garlic in a large saucepan over a medium heat until soft; this should take about 10 to 15 minutes. Add the chilli, potato and seasoning, and cook for a few more minutes, stirring frequently.
3. Peel the skins off the peppers and discard the seeds and cores. Save any water from the peppers as it can be added to the soup. Roughly chop the peppers and add to the pan.
4. Stir through and add the stock. Cook until the potatoes are soft and just starting to break down, so that they thicken the soup a little. Stir through the spinach leaves until wilted. If the soup is spicy hot, cool it down with a spoonful of natural yoghurt.

This could have been a much nicer soup if only I had paid more attention. I forgot the peppers were in the oven so they were probably overcooked by the time I remembered lol. Still it tasted good and next time I'd be more careful. I'm a bit doubtful about the claimed four servings, I would say more like two but that may be down to my timing problem as well!

Adapted from this website Roasted red pepper and potato soup | Easy soup recipes | Red Online

WEEK 24

Creamy curried carrot and butterbean soup
Serves 8-10

Syns dependent on the type of milk used

2 onions, chopped
1½ lbs carrots (1¼ lb sliced then grate the remainder)
3 cans butterbeans
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp coriander
1 tbsp curry powder
1.2L vegetable or chicken stock
400mls milk

Saute the onion in frylight until softened, around 10 minutes.
Add the spices and cook for a further 1-2 minutes.
Add the sliced carrots, half the butterbeans and stock, bring to boil then reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the carrots are cooked
Blend until smooth the return to plan with the grated carrot, remaining butterbeans and 500mls hot water.
Simmer for a further 10-15 minutes, add the milk and heat through gently before serving.
Season to taste.

Too much ginger for my taste, possible because I was using the ginger puree instead of powdered. Nice warming soup though.
Syns dependant on the type of milk you use. The original recipe called for whole milk which I think would give it more creaminess but I used skimmed.

WEEK 25

Courgette, pea and pesto soup
Serves 4
Syns dependent on pesto used

14 squirts berio olive oil spray (1 syn)
3 courgettes, quartered along length and diced
200g frozen peas
1 tsp easy garlic
1 can white kidney beans
1L vegetable stock
2 tbsp green pesto

Saute the courgette and garlic until starting to soften, around 3 minutes.
Add the peas, beans and hot stock
Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes
Stir through the pesto, season and serve

Oh dear, I've fallen a bit behind with this challenge so need to pick up my pace a bit. A combination of weather, work and a really sick kitty have meant there's not been much cooking (or eating) going on :(

But wanted to post this one as its super easy and super tasty. A really flavourful summer soup thats ready in minutes. The original recipe actually says to simmer for just 3 minutes so use your own judgement. I used asda reduced fat green pesto which is only half a syn for a level tbsp so the entire pot was only 2 syns or half a syn per serving :)

WEEK 26

Carrot and cheddar soup
Serves 4
Half a HEA per serving

1 onion, chopped
1 large potato, chopped
500g carrots, chopped
1.2L vegetable stock
80g extra mature, reduced fat cheese, grated
150ml unsweetened almond mik
Salt and black pepper

Cook the onion, potato and carrot in butter frylight over a medium heat for around 10 minutes, until softened.
Add the stock, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minute
Blend to a smooth consistency and stir in the grated cheese
Blend again then add the milk
Reheat and season to taste

Well after several week off plan I'm now back on track and enjoying my soups again. Just in time for the autumn setting in too!
This is a really easy soup to make, and satisfying naughty with the cheese and milk. I use unsweetened almond milk as its the lowest in syns and it gives a lovely creamy finish to the soup :)

WEEK 27

Leek and potato soup
Serves 6-8
Syns negligible on green and EE

14 squirts berio olive oil spray (1 syn)
2 carrots, chopped
2 sticks celery, sliced
2 onions, chopped
400g leeks, sliced
2 cloves, garlic, sliced
400g potatoes, chopped
1.8L vegetable stock

Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the carrots, onions, leeks, garlic and celery to the pan and mix to combine
Cook for around 10 minutes until the carrots have softened
Add the chopped potatoes and stock.
Stir then bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on.
Season to taste and blend if required.
Serve with fat free greek yoghurt

I'm not normally a leek and potato fan but this lovely, with added carrot and celery making it a bit different and adding to the superfree tally

Adapted from Jamie Oliver's Leek and Potato soup with chunky carrot and celery.
www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/vegetables-recipes/leek-and-potato-soup

PS Just checked the calendar and I've really fallen behind! 9 weeks behind!! Better get making more soups lol

Last edited:
Back