Green Day My Year in Soups

Subbing as well. I have come to love soup for brrakfast!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MiniMins.com mobile app

WEEK 15

Garden Minestrone Soup
Free on Green and Extra Easy
Serves 8

1 large onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 medium butternut squash, chopped
2 courgettes, chopped
1 large carrot, chopped
1 can sweetcorn
5 plum tomatoes
1.5L vegetable stock
1 can cannellini or haricot beans
Half a cup small pasta shapes
4 blocks frozen spinach
Parmesan to serve (optional)

Saute the onion and garlic in a very large pot (and trust me it needs to be big!) until softened.
Add the chopped squash, carrot and courgette and sweetcorn then cook for 5-10 minutes until softened
Blend the tomatoes (you could use passata but I had some tomatoes to use up) and add to the pot with the stock
Bring to boil and simmer for 20 minutes
Add the pasta, beans and spinach simmer for a further 10 minutes
Season to taste and serve garnished with grated parmesan (1.5 syns per tbsp)

I found the basis for this recipe on an american website and have played around with it a little to convert the quantities and ingredients. I added some tomato puree, and used frozen spinach as I didn't have any fresh left. I couldn't find any small pasta shapes I liked, well actually I quite fancied the kiddy pasta animals but resisted lol and used orzo instead.

This recipe makes loads, and its more a stoup than a soup. It tastes amazing, the parmesan makes all the diffrence btw, and is really filling with lots of superfree foods in it so enjoy. :)

Adapted from this recipe
Garden Minestrone Recipe | MyRecipes.com

Last edited:
you guys must be buying all the creamed corn can't find it in the shops!

I get mine from morrisons, couldn't find it anywhere else but, I have made this by whizzing up a can of sweetcorn too. Tastes as good but probably slightly more amazing with the creamed.

Hi,

I love this thread. Cant wait to try them out! Do you think these recipes would work in a soup maker?

The soup maker i have makes 3 good size bowls of soup.

X

Hi,

I love this thread. Cant wait to try them out! Do you think these recipes would work in a soup maker?

The soup maker i have makes 3 good size bowls of soup.

X

Yes I've done many of them in my soup maker. The only ones that I find don't work so well are those where you saute onion with spices to bring out the flavour but you could do that on the hob and then transfer them to the soup maker :)

I've just made the sweet potato and creamed corn soup - amazing!!

I've tried loads of soups in my soup maker and not liked them but this is delicious! I halved the recipe in case i didnt like it so gutted i didnt make more now.

My new favourite soup! Thanks for sharing your recipes xx

WEEK 16

Porcini Mushroom Soup
1 syn for the whole pot

30g dried porcini mushrooms
2 onions, finely chopped
14 squirts berio olive oil spray (1 syn)
2 cloves garlic, finely sliced
125g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
2 sticks celery, finely chopped
2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped
1 can chopped tomatoes
750mls vegetable stock

Rehydrate the dried mushrooms by adding 300mls boiling water. Leave for 30 minutes, drain and retain the liquid.
Chop any large pieces of mushroom and strain the liquid to remove any dirt.
Add the olive oil and onion to a pan, cover and saute over a low heat for around 10 minutes until softened.
Add the garlic, celery, mushroom and herbs and continue cooking until the celery is softened
Add a can of chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, porcini mushrooms and its liquid.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes
Season to taste.

Option 2:
After simmering, add chunks of stale bread and leave to infuse for 10 minutes before serving (syn bread accordingly)

This soup definitely requires a bit more time and effort than the others made to date. But I wanted something completely different to what I've already made and it's well worth it. It has a surprisingly "meaty" taste from the dried mushrooms. You could add some small dried pasta shapes for the last 10 minutes to bulk it out instead of the bread. Enjoy!

WEEK 16 Porcini Mushroom Soup 1 syn for the whole pot 30g dried porcini mushrooms 2 onions, finely chopped 14 squirts berio olive oil spray (1 syn) 2 cloves garlic, finely sliced 125g chestnut mushrooms, sliced 2 sticks celery, finely chopped 2 tsp fresh rosemary, finely chopped 1 can chopped tomatoes 750mls vegetable stock Rehydrate the dried mushrooms by adding 300mls boiling water. Leave for 30 minutes, drain and retain the liquid. Chop any large pieces of mushroom and strain the liquid to remove any dirt. Add the olive oil and onion to a pan, cover and saute over a low heat for around 10 minutes until softened. Add the garlic, celery, mushroom and herbs and continue cooking until the celery is softened Add a can of chopped tomatoes, vegetable stock, porcini mushrooms and its liquid. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes Season to taste. Option 2: After simmering, add chunks of stale bread and leave to infuse for 10 minutes before serving (syn bread accordingly) This soup definitely requires a bit more time and effort than the others made to date. But I wanted something completely different to what I've already made and it's well worth it. It has a surprisingly "meaty" taste from the dried mushrooms. You could add some small dried pasta shapes for the last 10 minutes to bulk it out instead of the bread. Enjoy!

This sounds lovely! Will def be trying it

WEEK 17

Tomato soup
Free on all plans

1 onion, finely chopped
1 carrot, diced
1 stick celery, diced
1-1.25kg ripe vine tomatoes (or I used 500g fresh and 1 can plum tomatoes)
1 tsp sweetener
2 pints vegetable stock
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion, carrot and celery until softened and slightly coloured, about 10 minutes
Quarter the fresh tomatoes and remove any stalk
Add tomatoes to the pan with the sweetener and some black pepper.
Cover and stew over low heat for about 10 minutes so that tomatoes have reduced
Add canned tomatoes, if using, along with vegetable stock.
Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer for further 25 minutes
Blend and season to taste.

I think this is a very versatile soup, you could add chilli and smoked paprika for a bit of heat, yoghurt if you want it creamy, pasta or cous cous for a bit of body. It tastes really good, and not a pickled onion in sight ;)

ETA even better on day 2 with some creme fraiche stirred in :)

Last edited:
WEEK 18

Italian potato soup
½ syn per serving on green and EE (if using parmesan from your HEA)
Serves 4

1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 stick celery, diced
4 large potatoes, diced
28 squirts berio olive oil spray
½ cup tomato puree (passata)
2 pints vegetable stock
1½ cups small pasta shapes
Fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion, carrot , potato and celery in olive oil until softened and slightly coloured, about 10 minutes
Add the tomato puree (or passata) to the pan with the stock
Cook over a medium heat for 45-60 minutes until the potatoes are starting to disintegrate
Add the pasta shapes and cook for a further 10 minutes
Add the basil leaves
Season with salt and freshly grated black pepper
Serve with grated parmesan

Adapted from this recipe Italian Potato Soup Recipe - Laura in the Kitchen - Internet Cooking Show Starring Laura Vitale

Now I would never normally spend an hour plus on making a soup, but trust me this one needs it and it will make all the difference to the finished soup. as the potato just melts in the mouth. Actually its really thick so more a stoup than a soup. Very, very filling and well worth topping with some parmesan as it makes it ultra creamy. The original recipe claims its even better chilled the following day.

ETA they were right on second day soup, all the liquid has been absorbed and you're left with a perfect pasta and potato salad to have for lunch :)

Last edited:
WEEK 19

Red lentil, chickpea and chilli soup
½ syn per serving on green and EE
Serves 4

2 tsp cumin seeds
large pinch chilli flakes
14 squirts berio olive olive spray (1 syn)
1 red onion, chopped
140g red split lentils
850ml vegetable stock or water
400g can tomatoes, whole or chopped
200g carton chickpeas or ½ a can, rinsed and drained
small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
4 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt, to serve

Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan.
Add the oil and onion, and cook for 5 mins.
Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
Whizz the soup with a stick blender until it is a rough purée, pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas.
Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander.
Serve with greek yoghurt and coriander leaves.

Can you believe we are already one third of the way through the year! It'll soon be Christmas lol.
While the south of the country is basking in sunshine it's still pretty cold in this neck of the woods so soup was called for today. This is an easy-peasy, really tasty soup which is ready in no time at all. Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Recipe adapted from Red lentil, chickpea & chilli soup | BBC Good Food

WEEK 18

Italian potato soup
½ syn per serving on green and EE (if using parmesan from your HEA)
Serves 4

1 onion, diced
1 carrot, diced
2 stick celery, diced
4 large potatoes, diced
28 squirts berio olive oil spray
½ cup tomato puree (passata)
2 pints vegetable stock
1½ cups small pasta shapes
Fresh basil leaves
Salt and pepper to taste

Saute the onion, carrot , potato and celery in olive oil until softened and slightly coloured, about 10 minutes
Add the tomato puree (or passata) to the pan with the stock
Cook over a medium heat for 45-60 minutes until the potatoes are starting to disintegrate
Add the pasta shapes and cook for a further 10 minutes
Add the basil leaves
Season with salt and freshly grated black pepper
Serve with grated parmesan

Adapted from this recipe Italian Potato Soup Recipe - Laura in the Kitchen - Internet Cooking Show Starring Laura Vitale

Now I would never normally spend an hour plus on making a soup, but trust me this one needs it and it will make all the difference to the finished soup. as the potato just melts in the mouth. Actually its really thick so more a stoup than a soup. Very, very filling and well worth topping with some parmesan as it makes it ultra creamy. The original recipe claims its even better chilled the following day.

ETA they were right on second day soup, all the liquid has been absorbed and you're left with a perfect pasta and potato salad to have for lunch :)

This one sounds amazing!

Back