Choosing the right butternut squash

Honeyoc

Is a crunchy mama!
I adore butternut squash but lately I've been getting some really awful ones. They seem to be either stringy (bleurgh!) or tasteless. I'm still shopping in the same places (Waitrose, Sainsbury's, weekend farmer's market) so I'm not sure what's gone wrong. Is there anything I should look out for when selecting a lovely ripe sweet butternut squash? Or are they out of season now? Thanks!

I always get my butternut squash from Lidl's. Haven't had a bad one yet. But I have a feeling they maybe out of season, because I am sure they are a Autumn Harvest?

Ah that makes sense... I did suspect they were out of season as well. Just seemed too uncanny for every single one I've bought in the last 3 weeks to be bad.

Niknaks I was told the opposite, to buy bigger ones because the flavour is sweeter and more mature lol... Sigh!

Ewww I hate when I get a stringy one! It really peeves me off as I look forward to my squash wedges with my dinner! I keep looking at for acorn squash - I used to get them from waitrose in the summer and they are lovely! Really nice cut up into 4 large pieces, roasted with cajun spices on them.

I had one from Tesco today which was lovely. The one from Waitrose last week was fine too.

Choose one which has an unbroken skin and which weighs heavy. If it feels too light then it won't be good.

Back