Green Day My Year in Soups

That Leek & potato soup sounds beautiful Must try that one. Thanks for the recipe.

I am back following a break and plenty of relapsing! I just wanted to say what a totally fabulous thread! I love soup and make it often, I did buy the SW little book of soups once, but have misplaced it. I will borrow lots of your recipes instead, and I am starting now, off to make recipe number one. Thanks for the inspiriation.:)

WEEK 28

Speedy sweet potato and coconut soup
Serves 4
2 syns per serving on green and EE

7 squirts berio olive oil spray (½ syn)
1 large onion, diced
1 tbsp red thai curry paste (1 syn)
750g sweet potato, grated
1L vegetable stock
100mls reduced fat coconut milk (syns depending on brand)
Salt and pepper

Heat the oil in a large saucepan and saute the chopped onion for around 5 minutes or until softened
Add the thair curry paste and stir well, continue to cook for a further 4-5 minutes to let the flavour develop
Add the grated sweet potato and stock
Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes or until the potato is cooked
Add the coconut milk, stir to combine
Blend until smooth
Season to taste

A really easy, speedy soup but very tasty. The original recipe called for 1-2 tsp curry paste but for ease of calculating the syns I used a level tbsp. I used half a sachet of Morrison reduced fat coconut milk which is only 3 syns per 100mls. I'll use the other half in a curry for dinner tonight or tomorrow. You could serve this with a mini naan or pitta bread :)

I've been busy looking out new soup recipes and have a queue of about 20 waiting to be tried, so look out for some new ones appearing soon!

WEEK 29

Carrot and tomato soup
Serves 4
Free on green and EE

7 squirts berio olive oil spray (½ syn)
1 onion, chopped
1 celery stick, chopped
1 tbsp tomato puree
1 red chilli, diced
600g carrots, sliced
125g floury potatoes, diced
2 bay leaves (fresh or dried)
250g passata
375g cherry tomatoes
2 vegetable stock cubes
½ tbsp granulated sweetener
½ tbsp red wine vinegar
125ml milk (optional)

Put the oil, onions and celery in your largest saucepan and cook gently until softened.
Add the chilli and tomato puree, stir well and cook for a further minute or two
Add the carrots and potatoes for a few minutes, then add all the remaining ingredients, apart from the milk, with ½ litre water.
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 30 mins, then uncover and simmer for 20-30 mins.
Remove the bay leaves and blend the soup with a hand blender.
Add the milk (if using) and more water if needed..
Season to taste, warm through and serve

The original recipe says this serves 8 (generously) so I made half the amount and it still made loads. I don't think I would have had a pot big enough for the full amount! I tweaked the recipe to include tomato puree and chilli for a bit of a kick and I used unsweetened almond milk which works out at 1.5 syns for 150mls. So only half a syn per serving in total. Nice variation on a basic carrot soup with added superfree :)

Adapted from this recipe
Carrot & tomato soup | BBC Good Food

Loving this thread. Love soups, but have got stuck in a rut making the same ones week after week. Thank you for all the lovely ideas xx

WEEK 30

Courgette and tomato
Serves 4
Negligible syns on green and EE

14 squirts berio olive oil spray (1 syn)
1 onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, sliced
500g courgettes, sliced
2 tbsp red lentils
500g tomatoes, chopped or used canned tomatoes instead
1 tsp turmeric
Pinch chilli flakes
750mls vegetable stock

Heat the oil in a large saucepan then saute onion, garlic and courgette over a medium heat for around 5 minutes until softened.
Add the red lentils and tomatoes, stir well and cook for a further minute or two
Add the turmeric and chilli and stir well then add stock
Bring to a boil then reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 30 mins
Blend until smooth
Season to taste, warm through and serve

I had a few courgettes that were getting to be a bit past their best so this was an ideal soup for using them up. Used red lentils instead of flour to save on the syns and it worked perfectly :)

Adapted from this recipe and incorporating some of the reviewer comments
Courgette & tomato soup | BBC Good Food

Wow! This is awesome. Thank you for taking the time to make the soup and share it with us. I'm going to have to try a couple of these. Soups are my favorite!:)

WEEK 19

Red lentil, chickpea and chilli soup
½ syn per serving on green and EE
Serves 4

2 tsp cumin seeds
large pinch chilli flakes
14 squirts berio olive olive spray (1 syn)
1 red onion, chopped
140g red split lentils
850ml vegetable stock or water
400g can tomatoes, whole or chopped
200g carton chickpeas or ½ a can, rinsed and drained
small bunch coriander, roughly chopped
4 tbsp 0% Greek yogurt, to serve

Heat a large saucepan and dry-fry the cumin seeds and chilli flakes for 1 min, or until they start to jump around the pan.
Add the oil and onion, and cook for 5 mins.
Stir in the lentils, stock and tomatoes, then bring to the boil. Simmer for 15 mins until the lentils have softened.
Whizz the soup with a stick blender until it is a rough purée, pour back into the pan and add the chickpeas.
Heat gently, season well and stir in the coriander.
Serve with greek yoghurt and coriander leaves.

Can you believe we are already one third of the way through the year! It'll soon be Christmas lol.
While the south of the country is basking in sunshine it's still pretty cold in this neck of the woods so soup was called for today. This is an easy-peasy, really tasty soup which is ready in no time at all. Perfect for a lazy Sunday afternoon.

Recipe adapted from Red lentil, chickpea & chilli soup | BBC Good Food

Sounds lovely, def making this week :)
All this soup has boosted my weight loss the last few weeks

WEEK 31

Slow cooker corn chowder
Serves 4
1.5 syns per serving on green and extra easy

3/4 cup dry yellow split peas
1.5L vegetable or chicken stock
340g frozen sweetcorn
2 roast red peppers (in brine or vinegar), diced
1 green chilli, finely diced
1 tsp ground cumin
1/2 tsp dried oregano crushed
1/2 tsp dried thyme, crushed
75g philadelphia light with chives (6 syns)

Rinse the split peas and add the to the slow cooker along with the stock, sweetcorn, red pepper, chilli, herbs and spices
Cover and cook on HIGH 5 to 6 hours. Cool 10 minutes.
Transfer some of the soup to another dish and blend, then return to the slow cooker along with the philadelphia cheese. Stir until melted
Cover and cook for further 5 minutes if needed
Season to taste and serve

This is adapted from an american WW recipe
Slow Cooker Corn Chowder

It claimed to serve 6 but that must be WW portions rather than SW lol. So I added more stock and am calling it 4 servings. It's always a bit more tricky adapting american recipes as you have to work out the cup equivalents and sometimes find alternative ingredients - who knew canned green chillies were common in the US! I have this in the slow cooker just now and will report back later on what it tastes like and to add syns once I've worked it out :)

Update: Oh my I'd forgotten how nice it is to come home to the smells of something in the slow cooker. It's been in hibernation over the summer so I need to make more use of it now autumn in setting in. Anyway back to the soup ... it's delicious! Mine turned out more orangey than the one in the picture so perhaps I used too much pepper but I really enjoyed it. Just a little bit of warmth from the chilli and its really the perfet autumn soup so give it a go!

Last edited:
WEEK 32

Spiced cauliflower soup
Serves 4
Syns negligible on green and EE

14 squirts berio olive oil spray (or use frylight)
1 onion, chopped
1 potato, peeled, chopped
2 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon ground chilli
1/2 medium cauliflower, trimmed, cut into small florets (you need about 600g florets)
1.5L vegetable stock
Fat free natural yoghurt

Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, potato and garlic. Cook, stirring often, for 5 minutes or until onion is soft.
Add turmeric, coriander, cumin and chilli. Cook for 1 minute or until aromatic.
Add cauliflower and stock. Cover and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, partially covered, for 15 to 20 minutes or until cauliflower is tender.
Blend until smooth and stir in 2 tbsp yoghurt. Cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until hot (do not boil). Season with salt and pepper.
Serve drizzled with natural yoghurt

I'm starting to think that cauliflower soup just isn't my thing. This was okay but didn't knock my boots off like some of the others, not a huge amount of flavour and there's just something about the texture that doesn't appeal. I may give it one last go to find an amazing soup with cauliflower as the main ingredient and then call it a day lol

Last edited:
Just found this thread and have just discovered a love for homemade soup so this is fab thank you will give some of these a go xx

Souper endeavour, well done lots of inspiration.

Q

Back