Christiana's "persistence not perfection" food diary

I love how it looks already! There was a little mix-up with the kitchen tops (I asked for beech wood block but got blackstone) which will be rectified on Monday. Besides that, I have been sooooo bad. :( :break_diet:

I started with good intentions, honest! But since I work evenings and this refurb requires me to be up at the butt crack of dawn until 5-6pm, I've been tired and cranky and my eating has been extremely questionable *andchocolatefilled*...whoops...

I am bracing myself for next week's WI (couldn't go on Weds just gone since they were in my house until 7:45pm) and I am fully prepared for a gain of gargantuan proportions....I am repeating the mantra in my head..."I will get back on the wagon the MINUTE they re-hook up my cooker".

That said, I really miss my syn free chips! I've had some of those microwave McCain ones and they are no comparison AT ALL. My only saving grace has been I've stuck with all syn free drinks AND I've been walking a lot more...which is something I guess! :eek:

I never thought I'd miss my cooker so much....

Hey Christiana:) hope they get the kitchen tops sorted for you.Just think about all those lovely meals you can get back to cooking once your lovely new kitchen is in:D x

Maybe you needed to be away from your cooker so when you finally get back to it you will really appreciate your beautiful home cooking :)

UPDATE: Kitchen work tops have been replaced, sink has been fitted and the tiles have been put in today. It's been exactly a week since the work began, but there is still lots to do....flooring needs to be put in, walls need to be plastered and painted, light fittings need to be put in and so do the sockets. I'm a bit wary because it now looks like the work will be going on until at least the end of this week or the beginning of next week.

The last week has been really hard because all this work requires that I stay home all day, which I am no longer used to doing. I know I have eaten really badly, and I also know that I can turn it all around once my facilities are returned to status quo. But, I went to class tonight anyway, because I wanted to assess the damage.

Man....there was damage! :cry:

I have noticed that all the sitting down and generally not moving has been causing my legs and feet to really swell. The last couple of days my legs have felt really heavy, and I've had sharp pain in my inner thighs when walking. I'm going to the doc next week to assess what's causing it.

From what I've read, it seems I have Edema in both legs...not surprising as I suffer with a condition called Lipodermatosclerosis (basically varicose veins on acid), which I am awaiting surgery for (condition being that I lose weight...they told me 3st at first, then they changed their minds, so how much weight I have to lose is a mystery, but I'm guessing being under 20st will help matters).

Although I've had the LDS for a while, I have never experienced swelling like this, although I know it can be a side effect. It feels like I'm walking through thick oil wearing lead trousers...

Anyway, the jist is: my bad eating + Edema in my legs = a mahoosive gain of 1st 7.5lbs in about 2 weeks. :eek:

Now, I'm not too worried about getting it off, as I know I can. I'm just a little freaked out about this edema thing, and what it means for my condition...I guess I'll have to see what the doc says, but I really want to know if this means it's worsened in some way.

I'm glad I went to class though, I am seriously missing my food! The electrician is coming tomorrow to fit the sockets, but I can't ask him to hook up my cooker until the flooring is done....arrrrrrrggggggh!

Last edited:
Hey Christiana! So sorry to hear about you legs, you described it so well and I can totally feel your discomfort. Don't worry about the gain, after a long haul flight from Singapore my feet were swollen and the scales showed an 8lb gain! Came off over the next few days so no biggie. Sounds like your lovely kitchen is coming along nicely albeit a little slower than expected... What will be the first thing you cook when its all done?!
Good luck with the Dr, I'll say a prayer for you!

At least half that gain has GOT to be the swelling ..... your great going to class and keeping us all updated. Not sure if I'm allowed to say but I'll pray for your condition. keep smiling x

Thanks guys! :hug99:

Louise, I hope that's the case! I didn't eat that badly, so fingers crossed it dissipates in the next week. Honey, I'm thinking syn free chips! I miss them so much, lol! And my roast chicken! I got some compression stockings today, and had a walkabout, so feel a lot better than yesterday, much less swelling and I feel so much lighter. A friend of mine recommended the Zumba fitness on Wii; I can't use the Wii fit board, but I can dance! Might have to pick it up soon and have a go.

The decorators were in to do the walls today, but everything is being held up by the electricians. They knocked out the water heater yesterday (had no clue), woke up this morning to ice cold water! :mad:

Then, they filled in the socket space where my fridge is meant to be plugged in...I have NO idea what possessed them to do that. It shows clearly on the mock-up plan where I wanted sockets. So now the flooring can't be put in, the decorators couldn't fully plaster the walls and paint because the electricians have to come back and knock out the space they filled in in the wall....grrrrrrrr, lord give me strength!

They haven't fit any sockets and we are no closer to getting my appliances reconnected. They were supposed to bring a mini hob for us (which I requested), but no such luck. My neighbours are in the same boat, except they have three little ones running about the house...they had to go and buy a mini hob of their own!

The kitchen looks lovely so far, but I'll be ecstatic when it's done and I have my facilities back!

Hey:) sorry to hear about your legs,pleased that the swelling is going down and that you were feeling better.I've recently got zumba on the wii and i'm really enjoying it,keeping up is another story ha ha :8855:but it is getting easier the more I do it:eek: It's a good job I'm doing it in my lounge;) It is fun and the music is good.Kitchen sounds lovely and will be great when it's all done:).xxx

That sounds good surreygal, I understand a belt comes with the game? How big is it do you think, clothing size wise? I've spotted it on Amazon for £23. I was going to get a zumba DVD, but this seems much better.

No joy on the kitchen front. Still no sockets, no hot water and now, no bathroom light! I think the electricians have fudged up the wiring...it's 9am now and no sign of them. Tomorrow makes it 2 weeks since they began. I may end up missing class on Wednesday, because the flooring people will be in from 5pm. I asked them to come then so it'd give the electricians time to sort out this mess!

I hugged my cooker yesterday, lol! Withdrawal symptoms :D

Lol at hugging the cooker, totally understandable!!
The Wii Zumba belt, I'm about a size 24, and I can't get it on, but if you stick the remote in your waistband it works fine. I actually just hold it like normal, it ain't 100% accurate but it still works and tots up a score :)
It's a great fun game, love it!!

Great, that's settled it, Zumba on Wii it is! It's going to be my birthday present to myself. We're almost there with the kitchen...so close!

All that's left is to sort out the electrics in the kitchen (none of the sockets work at the moment), get a new breaker for the cooker connection and and extension pump for my washing machine. The decorators have to come back too now, because the electrician took sooooooo long to fit all the lights and sockets that they have to repaint/re-plaster around what he's done.

They'll be back tomorrow, hopefully bright and early. I didn't get to got to class last Wednesday, but I did weigh myself yesterday on my manic scales out of curiousity. Apparently, I've lost 8lbs which is brill, but I'll wait until this weeks' WI to assess.

MY KITCHEN IS DONE!!! Finally! All done as of yesterday. Before and after pics below (before, during, after, after).

I went to class today and discovered my scales were nearly right...I've lost 9lbs! Don't know how, but I think it's the swelling that's subsided and shown as a loss, because I wasn't particularly eating well and it's chainsaw week. Good start to project "re-start" though, eh?

:bliss:

Attachments

• Kitchen.jpg
    Kitchen.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 95
  • P6290004.jpg
    P6290004.jpg
    490.2 KB · Views: 68
  • Burford cream kitchen 5.jpg
    Burford cream kitchen 5.jpg
    484 KB · Views: 64
  • Burford cream kitchen 6.jpg
    Burford cream kitchen 6.jpg
    477.6 KB · Views: 55
Well, that looks like a food optimising haven to me :D
Lovely new kitchen :D
And happy 9lb loss too, ace :D Smiles all round, here's to a good week ahead!!!!x

Ooooh your kitchen looks fabulous Christiana! And big well done on your loss!

Finally!! It looks lovely, I'm sure you'll find staying on track easy now x

Thursday, 21st July 2011: **EE day**

Breakfast
None

Lunch
Batchelors savoury rice (Chinese flavour)
Skinless roast chicken
Broccoli, carrots and corn

Dinner
Syn free chips (yay!)
1 Tbsp of EVOO (HEXb)
2 Tesco southern fried chicken fillets (8 syns)
2 Tbsp of tomato ketchup (2 syns)

Snacks
None

Drinks
250ml of semi-skimmed milk for hot choc (HEXa)
4 Tsp of Cadbury's Bournville cocoa (4 syns)
Tesco diet cola with almond
Tesco diet cream soda

Syns
14 // 91

Last edited:
Friday, 22nd July 2011: **EE day**

Breakfast
None

Lunch
Boiled potatoes tossed in watered down bovril and fried in 2 tsp of EVOO (4 syns) with chopped onion
Baked beans
Mackerel
Boiled eggs

Dinner
Couscous made with stock and fried in 1.5 tsp of EVOO (3 syns) with onion, broccoli, carrots and corn
1 Tesco southern fried chicken fillet (4 syns)
Boiled plantain
Boiled eggs

Snacks
2 Alpen lights (HEXb)

Drinks
Tesco diet cream soda

Syns
15 // 76

Last edited:
Saturday, 23rd July 2011: **EE day**

Breakfast
None

Lunch
Boiled potatoes tossed in watered down bovril/liquid stock and frylighted with chopped onion
Baked beans
Boiled eggs
2 Tesco southern fried chicken fillets (8 syns)

Dinner
Batchelors savoury rice (Chinese flavour)
skinless roast chicken
Par boiled and frylighted potato cubes season with stock

Snacks
2 Alpen lights (HEXb)

Drinks

Syns
12 // 64

Last edited:
Back