Christmas: Celebrating The WeMITT Way

PrincessSparklePants

Little Miss Christmas
I know it's quite a while away yet (21 weeks or 5 monthsish), but I can't be the only one who likes to plan early and spread the cost.

If nothing else, it helps us get into the mind frame of not buying ridiculous amounts of rubbish and really that is what I'm scared of - reverting back to bad habits, buying rubbish and having it lasting right over to the new year so you don't even get chance to have a new start in the new year.

Personally I'd like to lose a further 3 stone to get me to 20 stone before Christmas and I don't want to undo it all by having a few naughty bits and pieces too many and then not to be able to stop it!

A few of my ideas off the top of my head:

* Diet drinks for mixers (diet coke, slimline tonics etc)
* Lighter drinks (vodka and malibu etc)
* Home made selection boxes (fudge, crunchie, fruit pastles, freddo etc)
* Christmas dinner - grilled chicken breast, 'clean' mash (ie without milk/butter, just done with the potato ricer, reduced salt gravy granules, larger portion of veg to fill the plate, skimmed milk in the bread sauce,
* Weightwatchers ice cream as a pudding (77 cals each)
* Selection of sweets from the market (they have roses/quality st too as part of the selection) rather than a tin of sweets as... well, buying the tins earlier always make you give in! Not only can we choose the ones we want, we also have a smaller amount bought nearer Christmas so no chance of sneaky eating and then replacing.
* Weightwatchers bacon for the bacon sandwiches in the morning (they're bacon medallions with little to no fat in them)

I'd love to hear other ideas and see if we can plot ways to make it not get one over on us :)

hi psp
you are like me i thinking the same thing about presents and food
breakfast will be 2 turkey sausages 2 poached eggs and 2 thins christmas dinner/ tea cooked chicken breast small whole potatoes a little butter veg and 2 yorkshire puddings aldi ice cream 2 scoops with fruit no drinking cause i will be working i do not want to do anything stupid like falling of the wagon so no chocs in house might just get jaffa cakes x x

:D Want to get through it with as little damage as possible (which is hard as I'm a big kid about Christmas ;) )

I'm going by the method that if it's not in the house then it can't be eaten! Just have to be STRONG when shopping :D

I know, I'm OK with Easter but Christmas is a hard one for me too. We get two weeks across Christmas and New Year off because the college closes, and I love bundling up all warm inside with the cat, but grazing is a problem - especially all those little pastry bite things groan.....

My christmas:

Breakfast - selection pack

Lunch - Christmas dinner with a million trimmings

Tea - cheese and Pringles!

:) this is why I'm fat hahaha!!!!!

:D You and me both love!

My Christmas Day 'tea' has always been a chicken, stuffing sandwich with a thin layer of bread sauce on the bread. All washed down with bacon rasher crisps. Has to be soft white bread too!

:rolleyes: I'm starting already. It's all your fault, H! :p

Might not be actually Christmas related, but shop on a full stomach! Especially when buying nice bits for Christmas, if I ever shop hungry it makes me go a bit crazy on baddies, but if you shop when you're full, and I mean FULL!, the thought of food will make you a bit nauseous, perfect!

I've got to admit though, I'm a typical Christmas pig, I use the "it's Christmas!" excuse far too much!

Me too! :) It's all so easy to carry it on afterwards isn't it. I'm going to use the fact that I don't really like new year (but adore Christmas like a kid) to just buy for Christmas and Christmas alone ("better" choices - not perfect but "better. You do have to have a break and a treat after all. Also smaller amounts bought on a full stomach (good thinking!) so when it's gone - it's gone!

Me too! :) It's all so easy to carry it on afterwards isn't it. I'm going to use the fact that I don't really like new year (but adore Christmas like a kid) to just buy for Christmas and Christmas alone ("better" choices - not perfect but "better. You do have to have a break and a treat after all. Also smaller amounts bought on a full stomach (good thinking!) so when it's gone - it's gone!

I realised it by accident after going shopping once straight after dinner (normally went Sunday before lunch!) and was so full I was like "erugh, get what I need and leave" was odd not coming home with pringles and dips etc, also my wallet was glad!! :)

My Christmas "strategy", for the three years I've been doing this, is to allow myself just 3 or 4 days of total, unrestrained piggery, lol. I eat whatever I want, trying my best not to mentally add up the calories. Then I invariably feel so ill from all the sugar that I'm practically longing to get back to restrictive eating when my off-plan days are over - it's worked well for me so far, it's like a sort of aversion therapy! :D xx

I guess since I'm on Dukan's diet I guess Christmas for me won't be to bad. I'll have bacon and eggs, maybe with some salmon also depending on the mood I'm in. Dinner will be turkey no skin and veg, no potato, stuffing, Yorkshires pudding or extra trimmings, unless I go for an option of a celebration meal, then it would be ok I guess. I generally never had tea that day as I'm so full, but might make OH some tea if he wants some. Otherwise yogurt with oatbran.

Or I could do what Tracy does as that sounds yummy!

My Christmas "strategy", for the three years I've been doing this, is to allow myself just 3 or 4 days of total, unrestrained piggery, lol. I eat whatever I want, trying my best not to mentally add up the calories. Then I invariably feel so ill from all the sugar that I'm practically longing to get back to restrictive eating when my off-plan days are over - it's worked well for me so far, it's like a sort of aversion therapy! :D xx

:D I must admit, after 'clean' eating it's a struggle for your body to feel like it's usual self after the junk food avalanche :D

Kinda miss it when not 'allowed' it, and then can't wait to stop after :D

I don't want to sound like a Scrooge here....(actually, I'm not bothered, we're all different!)

I do not understand the fuss about Christmas. My mother is horrendous - buying presents for people she barely knows, buying one thing for one person (in March) then seeing something else *ideal* for them in September and buying that too. Whereas I'd think - No, I've got something for them already.

And the food....sheesh - it's always just me, Mum and Dad for the main Christmas dinner and honestly, she cooks enough for fifteen. Do we need a turkey that looks like you could saddle it and get it round Badminton? No. Do we need a huge dish of dauphinouse (sp?) potatoes "because it's Christmas" when only she likes them? No. Do we need 14 tins of Quality Street? No. Do I need 6 types of cheese for "after dinner" when I've already eaten enough for two days? No. And yet when (like Bridget Jones' Mum) she rings me in August asking what she should get stocked up on for Christmas (!!) she gets upset and offended when I try to explain that actually, I don't want the mince pies, sweets, chocolate or sausge rolls she's planning. That actually, just spending some time with them is enough.

If I could have my ideal Christmas it'd be a good break from work, a little family time to see the relatives' kids and their presents and then I'd go home and cook normal food. For Christmas dinner I'd have a really great SW roast dinner - I can have turkey, roasties done in Frylite (note, Mum - these don't have to be goose fat roasties "because it's Christmas"!), loads of veggies, a pig in a blanket, a little piece of Yorkshire pudding and some gravy. All that can easily be done within my daily SW allowance of syns. I might even have a glass of wine.

This new way of eating for me is for life, I like it, my body really likes it and I am not going to let one day (note, Mum - Christmas is one day!) upset the routine I'm in. I don't want to, and I don't enjoy eating greasy, fatty food any more. My body certainly tells me so. However, I know I can have a fabulous time over Christmas eating SW style food so why would I want to? Because society tells me I should? Because the adverts are screaming "Buy, buy buy!"? No thanks. I'm not a dog - I no longer "reward" myself with food. I love food, don't get me wrong, but my relationship with it is definately changing.

I hope I haven't upset anyone but we now return you to your regular programme :) :xmassign:

Theria, I love your will power and totally get what you're saying (You don't sound like a scrooge!), but for me at least I really enjoy the Christmas fat laden food, just for a day, I don't necessarily class it as a reward - I've long gotten out of rewarding myself with food and will opt for something else such as a nice day out if I've lost a good amount - but I still think it's nice to have a treat. I also like having the just one day, I really don't get why Christmas seems to be spread over the whole of December, and people till say "Oh well, it's nearly Christmas!", but for the one day I'm really up for goose fat potatoes, bread sauce, cranberry sauce and lashings of gravy etc, would I eat it everyday? God no! I think you're right that our bodies adjust and don't feel right or good after fatty foods anymore,

We may not need fatty Christmas food, but do we need anything but the basics? Sometimes a little of what you want is important, and it should be a little, obviously we're all here because we've had a little too much of what we wanted in the past, but sometimes, even if it's only on one day of the year, there has to be wiggle room to let your hair down, because otherwise what's the point in being slim and healthy and fitting into that dress if you can't have a one off treat now and then? I like the balance :)
X

Theria, I love your will power and totally get what you're saying (You don't sound like a scrooge!), but for me at least I really enjoy the Christmas fat laden food, just for a day, I don't necessarily class it as a reward - I've long gotten out of rewarding myself with food and will opt for something else such as a nice day out if I've lost a good amount - but I still think it's nice to have a treat. I also like having the just one day, I really don't get why Christmas seems to be spread over the whole of December, and people till say "Oh well, it's nearly Christmas!", but for the one day I'm really up for goose fat potatoes, bread sauce, cranberry sauce and lashings of gravy etc, would I eat it everyday? God no! I think you're right that our bodies adjust and don't feel right or good after fatty foods anymore, We may not need fatty Christmas food, but do we need anything but the basics? Sometimes a little of what you want is important, and it should be a little, obviously we're all here because we've had a little too much of what we wanted in the past, but sometimes, even if it's only on one day of the year, there has to be wiggle room to let your hair down, because otherwise what's the point in being slim and healthy and fitting into that dress if you can't have a one off treat now and then? I like the balance :) X

Oh I agree about treats and balance - but I no longer want food "treats". What I eat now is fantastic, tasty food. I can honestly say I've not had a single meal where I've thought "this tastes like I'm on a diet" so I don't need (or want) anything else.

But I bought myself a lovely new necklace and bracelet set the other day - that was a treat :)

Back