Christmas Day Menu?

Im going to have 2 flexi days and try to be as good as possible. Im having limited chocolates in the house, no crips, a big bowl of nuts but its christmas so im going to have what ever i like but just try not to go mad!!!

I think I will be having a few days off.
I wont be going mad and I will still make the healthiest choices out of what is available but I wont be counting my syns and worrying.

I have a big family and some of them havent been too well so I want everyone to be relaxed and enjoy it. I dont want to be saying no and having to side step things and making others feel a bit guilty for eating in front of me.

This way I can make the best choices available and let everyone enjoy their Christmas!
(And lets face it...im looking forward to a bit of guilt free chocolate and some yummy red wine gravy hehe!)

I lost 1lb last week over Christmas doing it this way so Im not too worried. Even if I gain...ITS CHIRSTMAS!! =D

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet on Xmas day, whether I'll be at home or visiting the Mr's family, but Xmas eve we're definitely eating.the full meal at my mums. Like above, I'm thinking I won't be counting / synning the main meals, but I will attempt to follow plan around it. I'm not a big meat eater, and chocolate is losing its appeal a bit, so its just roast tateys yorkshire life and stuffing that will need watching!

I'm not sure what I'm doing yet on Xmas day, whether I'll be at home or visiting the Mr's family, but Xmas eve we're definitely eating.the full meal at my mums. Like above, I'm thinking I won't be counting / synning the main meals, but I will attempt to follow plan around it. I'm not a big meat eater, and chocolate is losing its appeal a bit, so its just roast tateys yorkshire life and stuffing that will need watching!

Mmmm roast potatoes, stuffing and yorkshire puddings...
That just SCREAMS Christmas dinner to me! haha

I bought the Christmas book last night so hoping to get some ideas... Any tips on how to make it a stress free day?!

Becci's top tips, works every year and works the same if its for 2 or 20 people

1. Cook the bird or meat the day before the hot gravy will warm the meat for the next day and also hot meat is harder to carve so you can cut your meat thiner and it will go a longer way

2. Prepare you veg the day before, put in a large bucket of water all pealed/chopped etc saves loads of time in the morning and gives you more present opening time ;)

3. Stuffing!!! Sort the day before, roll into the balls/shapes and put on a tin foil baking tray ready for 20mins baking the next day

4. Tin foil - i hate washing up on christmas day so i alway line my trays super well, extra layers so that i just have to bin and a quick easy wash, no scrubbing away for hours :)

5. Puddings - have something that can be made (you guest it) the day before and kept in the fridge.

6 The fridge - i always find there is never enough room in there so i keep all drinks in a massive bucket with ice cold water and ice and that keeps everything nice and cold, i put water and drinks in Christmas eve and pop in the shed, add ice on the day :)

7. Remember - its only one day, don't worry if its running late everyone will understand and if your lunch is anything like mine it will be 30 mins early lol

Hope this helps.......xx

HPSaucy said:
I'm glad you started this thread, I'm hosting Christmas dinner for the first time as I managed to get Christmas Day off work for the first time in 3 years, we've got a tiny house and 9 guests (well one will only be 2 months old so doesn't really count!), have never cooked for that many and have only cooked about 2 roasts in my life so starting to panic!

I bought the Christmas book last night so hoping to get some ideas... Any tips on how to make it a stress free day?!

Anyway it's got to beat last years.. This is what we got given at work followed by a prepacked sandwich at lunch (the Late shifts got a microwave meal):

Try you tube to see if you can watch Jamie Oliver's Xmas dinner,it's an old DVD. I've only cooked Xmas turkey dinner once,as I have tiny kitchen and no tables,Chairs. But I bought his DVD for £2 and it really helped,my dinner was organised and gorgeous, I know the DVD will need to be tweaked to make it sw,but I mean more the timings and prep of things to hop you x

I intend to have "proper" roast potatoes! I'm already so excited about it!

But I will be banning tins of sweets etc from the house cos once they come in I will just sit and eat them all! Roasties and some alcohol will be my Christmas treats and hopefully it wont be "too" disastrous!
:innocent0001: :D

Lol We bought a plastic box with lid for outside the back door,for drinks etc, yesterday Mr found 4 bottles of diet lemonade still sat in it! It's good for emergency tins of fish etc x

i keep my fruit and veg out in a box with a lid by the back door they stay fresh for longer we also have a large bin with a lid for drinks but last year my teenagers thought it was funny to sneak a few so might have to re think that this year lol

Ohh we always keep the drinkies in a box outside the back door in a box over Xmas when Im at my mum's :D Order a big box of wine and slowly sift through it over Xmas :) Snow keeps it nicely chilled :D

I will have beans and mushrooms on toast for breakfast, My usual creamy cheese and mustard sauce but made with quark and fromage frais (cheese as hxa) with mixed veg in sauce and syn free roast potatoes, 5 free veg - so all on course so far :) Then trifle and christmas pudding:talk017::xmascheers::xmascheers: Oh well it is christmas. 51 sleeps to go.

Vicar of Dibley Christmas Lunch.

My Mother In Law is terrific... and as far as I know she is not on a diet. She has raised 6 children and during that time as learnt to cook and serve a variety of vegs to satisfy all the children's likes.

So I don't worry at all at Christmas dinner and I take on the same approach myself when I make it. Does anyone remember the Vicar of Didley's The Christmas Lunch Incident? One of the lunches offered was with the traditional Dibley 16 (was it 16... not sure but you get the picture) different vegetables served. And that's it. I have a load of different yummy vegetables, turkey... lots and a little gravy.

becciharland said:
Becci's top tips, works every year and works the same if its for 2 or 20 people

1. Cook the bird or meat the day before the hot gravy will warm the meat for the next day and also hot meat is harder to carve so you can cut your meat thiner and it will go a longer way

2. Prepare you veg the day before, put in a large bucket of water all pealed/chopped etc saves loads of time in the morning and gives you more present opening time ;)

3. Stuffing!!! Sort the day before, roll into the balls/shapes and put on a tin foil baking tray ready for 20mins baking the next day

4. Tin foil - i hate washing up on christmas day so i alway line my trays super well, extra layers so that i just have to bin and a quick easy wash, no scrubbing away for hours :)

5. Puddings - have something that can be made (you guest it) the day before and kept in the fridge.

6 The fridge - i always find there is never enough room in there so i keep all drinks in a massive bucket with ice cold water and ice and that keeps everything nice and cold, i put water and drinks in Christmas eve and pop in the shed, add ice on the day :)

7. Remember - its only one day, don't worry if its running late everyone will understand and if your lunch is anything like mine it will be 30 mins early lol

Hope this helps.......xx

Wow thanks so much, that is brilliant x

Bunnylush said:
Try you tube to see if you can watch Jamie Oliver's Xmas dinner,it's an old DVD. I've only cooked Xmas turkey dinner once,as I have tiny kitchen and no tables,Chairs. But I bought his DVD for £2 and it really helped,my dinner was organised and gorgeous, I know the DVD will need to be tweaked to make it sw,but I mean more the timings and prep of things to hop you x

Thanks I'll have a look, my friend recommend Jamie Oliver Christmas too x

I'm having whatever my mummy is making which is usually...prawn cocktail and soup for starters, turkey, ham, stuffing, roast potatoes done in goose fat, loads of veg and yummy gravy for dinner followed by whatever I make for dessert which will probably be either galaxy ripple cheesecake or a sponge cake with jam & cream etc

Tea that evening will be a turkey & stuffing sandwich on white bread with butter and some brown sauce served with a massive mug of tea infront of the fire :drool:

Then I go to my in-laws on Boxing Day and do the same all over again!

I will be having 2 Flexi Syn days, life is too short for me to be worrying about what i'm having for Christmas dinner, I want to thoroughly enjoy what is being put in front of me! :)

If I gain a few lbs over Christmas who cares, I have 4 children to have fun with over Christmas and my weight will be the last thing on my mind!

Last edited:
Back