Christmas Day Menu?

vanilla_cupcake said:
God I love chocolate, I find it strange when people say they don't like chocolate lol ;)

I dnt dislike it just prefer wine gums! Or a piece of cake! However sometimes only a slab of chocolate will do but those are very rare now!

Becci's top tips, works every year and works the same if its for 2 or 20 people

1. Cook the bird or meat the day before the hot gravy will warm the meat for the next day and also hot meat is harder to carve so you can cut your meat thiner and it will go a longer way

2. Prepare you veg the day before, put in a large bucket of water all pealed/chopped etc saves loads of time in the morning and gives you more present opening time ;)

3. Stuffing!!! Sort the day before, roll into the balls/shapes and put on a tin foil baking tray ready for 20mins baking the next day

4. Tin foil - i hate washing up on christmas day so i alway line my trays super well, extra layers so that i just have to bin and a quick easy wash, no scrubbing away for hours :)

5. Puddings - have something that can be made (you guest it) the day before and kept in the fridge.

6 The fridge - i always find there is never enough room in there so i keep all drinks in a massive bucket with ice cold water and ice and that keeps everything nice and cold, i put water and drinks in Christmas eve and pop in the shed, add ice on the day :)

7. Remember - its only one day, don't worry if its running late everyone will understand and if your lunch is anything like mine it will be 30 mins early lol

Hope this helps.......xx

Ok, what do I do then, it's my daughters birthday Christmas Eve, I cant spend the day sorting all that lot!!!

I will do waht I did last year, be 100% everyday in the xmas period EXCEPT xmas day- I took the day off plan, didn't count syns and enjoyed what I wanted then back on plan the next day (lost 1lb that week, lol).

I love christmas! It's a crazy day in my house but lovely.

Food wise I will do my best to make good choices and I've bought the sw xmas recipe book so I'll make some mince pies and chocolate truffles from that. The main meal will be a quorn roast which keeps me on plan with sw roasties, sprouts and vegies.

The problem will be naughty santa who puts terry's choc oranges in each of the kids stockings............4 terrys choc oranges hanging around while kids unwrap toys.....help lol! I will sneak a few segments in.

The difference this year for me.....
I won't be drinking pints of baileys in ice.
I won't be eating extra special mince pies hot with a massive dollop of brandy butter.
I won't eat full fat custard with a full fat mince pie (I'll seek out healthier versions or make it).
I won't be set free on cheese and baguette.
I won't allow 3 boxes of celebrations to be devoured in a week.
I won't gorge on chocolate brazils on christmas eve.
I won't be eating multipacks of walkers.
I won't be eating a whole tub of pringles.
I won't drink mulled wine like it's going out of fashion AND:
I promise not to inhale after eights choic mints.

I'm sure there's more but you get the idea lol.

BUT I WILL enjoy my food knowing the changes I've made this year and I'll have a wonderful family christmas.

I am going to sil's for a Christmas eve family party. Will be buffet food & wii games. So I'll be trying to eat well but relaxing a bit for that.

Christmas day we are off to in laws for brunch (bacon & mushroom rolls), will be on white bread, but no worries. I'm doing mushroom soup, turkey & trimmings & tiramisu. Only thing that won't be sw friendly is the bacon sarnies & the tiramisu.

So 2 days off plan but not out of mind! :)

I always cook my turkey and make the gravy on Christmas eve, Once cold I carve the entire thing and freeze what won't be used over Christmas and Boxing Day. I label the foil packets, so On christmas day halfway through the potatoes roasting I pop the foild packet containing turkey and stuffing in the bottom of the oven
My veg I sit and prepare in front of a christmas film in the evening of Christmas eve.

I always cook my turkey and make the gravy on Christmas eve, Once cold I carve the entire thing and freeze what won't be used over Christmas and Boxing Day. I label the foil packets, so On christmas day halfway through the potatoes roasting I pop the foild packet containing turkey and stuffing in the bottom of the oven
My veg I sit and prepare in front of a christmas film in the evening of Christmas eve.

You see, that is sooooo civilised! I'm going to do exactly the same this year, but it will have to be an old Christmas film - like 'It's a Wonderful Life', or 'White Christmas!' And I will blub, 'cos I always do, even though I have seen them gazillions of times!

its my sons birthday xmas eve too

I am far to giddy about Christmas this year. Think nearly having it a sorted is making it fun this time rather than a rush about:) I love that I'll be home all the week before.

Planning on cooking the turkey on Christmas morning and having the veg in water & ready to go in Christmas eve. Stuffing, dessert and starter will also be made day before so on the day I'll just be cooking veg & potatoes. Thinking of maybe doing them in goose fat as a treat.

Lots of your veg can be prepared days in advance, sprouts, carrots will keep in a ziplock bag in the fridge.
Potatoes can be par boiled and kept for a day or two

Shirleen said:
Lots of your veg can be prepared days in advance, sprouts, carrots will keep in a ziplock bag in the fridge.
Potatoes can be par boiled and kept for a day or two

I may end up doing the veg on the morning. We have a lot of family things going on Christmas eve evening & my husband will be working in the shop for the last min pressies! So I'll prob end up creating my tiramisu at 10pm or something silly. I adore cooking though so it doesn't matter.

At the end of the day its only 1 day, and after all its not what happens between xmas and new year that counts its what happens between new years and xmas that does :D

Me and OH will go to see friends for a lunchtime drink in the local pub (whisky and diet coke). I gave him the choice between christmas dinner or tea and he chose tea, so a buffet...
Cold meats (gammon ham / beef / chicken)
Smoked salmon
Prawns
Crab
Olives
Selection of bread (danger zone)
Lots of salad / raw veg sticks
Home made syn free dips (to be researched - only know hummous)
Cheeses (danger zone)

I might buy myself a few really lovely chocolates, but am intending to make some stuffed dates for the day as I love them so much and they're stupidly expensive.

I will try to take it easy on the syns, but it's only one day and I want to enjoy it. Back onto plan with stir fry / curry made with left over meat and peppers, carrots etc the next day.

My buffet list is allowed to grow, so scrummy low syn ideas more than welcome.

I plan to have the day off completely aand not worry about it. Straight back on track boxing day with taking the dogs for a long beach walk and good food. We aren't having turkey this year as we are completely fed up of it we have brought half a lamb off a farmer friend and intend to freeze some too :)

Back