Christmas drinking!

brooksy

Hi there...I plan on having a couple of drinks on cristmas day (Ithink)! I know we arent meant to have any booze but does anybody know the least worst one to have?!! lol!xx
:8855:

there is a sticky about alchol, it`s very dangerous to drink while in ketosis, if you want to drink you will have to spend a day eating normal food to build up carb stores.
its up to you whether you think it`s worth it.
personally i`m having the whole week off cd.
good luck with it x

Thanks kitteh...that does kinda put me off I may to the same as its my birthday on the 29th dec as well!! I am at a do on the 13th dec and cant decide what to do then, if I drive then I wont drink so thinking of doing that to resist temptation!! xx

just remember that if you come off cd it's a sod getting back on it!! so if you were thinking of not eating on christmas day then i would consider just not having the drink or two...

abz xx

im having christmas day off to have dinner (mainly veg and meat try not to have any potatoes) and a few glasses of wine i figure it cant hurt t much!! might have a meal of grilled chicken etc on christmas eve to prepare!!

im also having 13th -16th of dec off as going to see my mum and dad in spain so am having those off but eatting "properly"
xxxxxxxxxxx

just take a look at the link emmie.. when your body is still in ketosis.. which is WILL be.. after just chicken and veg.. then you can actually end up poorly.. but i guess its just whether you would like your chance it or not.. i sure as hell wouldnt..

x x

I know that this goes against popular belief, what with the Ketosis and alcohol theory, but I have continued to have one night per week drinking (usually wine, gin and/or sambucca) I have had no ill effect, expect for getting drunk a little quicker (due to the lack of food, I guess). I have lost 3 stone is just under three months. So don't beat yourself up for Xmas. Remember that a diet is for life not just for Xmas, lol. :)

Ooh thats great alex.. but i know that its not like that for everyone.. i remember someone on here being reeally sick when they drank.. its the same with everything.. you never know what could happen before you do it..
x

Also remember that it's not what we eat/drink between xmas and new year...it's what we eat/drink between new year and christmas that does all the damage. :)

(having said that I seem to do quite a bit of damage between xmas and new year!)

i drank one small glass of wine over the course of four hours recently. and i really had to go that slowly. if i had had it at my usual drinking speed i would have been a gonner. had two sips and i felt drunk!! and i promise i'm not exaggerating, even though it sounds ridiculous!!

I drink regually on sole source, just found that i get drunk quicker and feel a bit sluggish the next day, havent died from it yet and am loseing weight at an increadible rate, but best of all i am happy:) and thats why this diet will work. Good luck all

Dangers Of Alcohol When In Ketosis
Hi all,

I cannot remember where I got this snippet from but it may be worth a read as we are now coming into the Christmas period and temptation is always around the corner!!

Link found: Post-exercise ketosis, ketone bodies

DO NOT DRINK ALCOHOL IF YOU ARE KETOTIC!
Alcohol is a powerful inhibitor of gluconeogenesis. In fact, it forces part of the gluconeogenic metabolic process into reverse. This means that if all the glucose in the blood is being derived from gluconeogenesis then the consumption of alcohol will inevitably cause the blood glucose level to fall. Worse still, the alcohol also stops ketone body production, thus leaving the brain entirely without fuel.
A person who is ketotic is 100% reliant on gluconeogenesis to maintain adequate levels of glucose in the blood. If, under these circumstances alcohol is taken, the person will become disorientated and might lose consciousness, not just from the alcohol, but from low blood sugar. Needless to say, this could be very dangerous, and even fatal.
Alcohol does not have these effects if the glycogen stores in the liver are normal. Under these circumstances the blood glucose level in the blood is maintained by the breakdown of liver glycogen, a process that is not influenced by alcohol. If a person becomes confused under these circumstances it is due simply to the pharmacological effects of the alcohol!
20 Years' Service Award
Special Merit Award Winner 2005

This is the above post that Kitteh so kindly put the link on this thread for and I think any of you who are drinking whilst on a vlcd should take it very seriously.

Note that alcohol is strictly forbidden on the
Cambridge Diet.
http://www.cambridge-diet.co.uk/brochures/solesource.pdf

Your health is your wealth at the end of the day.​

Love Mini xxx​

i was on cd this time last year,and i had 2 weeks of over xmas,well didnt see counceller,but i only really ate xmas day and boxing day,managed to have shakes rest of time i only put on 2lb so was pleased,i also drank and have done recently,but did have some toast day b4 to get carbs in me,and its true u do get drunk quicker...but i wasent ill,go for it,must admit i did struggel to get back on track but on 1st weight in i lost 6lb...have fun x

I think the words here are 'caution' and being 'sensible', if you are going to have a drink you need to have carbs to get you out of ketosis. For every person who says they were ok there is going to be one who says they weren't..........and I know my luck....so if I do fancy a drink on christmas night then I know I am going to have to have carbs.

Back