Christmas present thread

Practically finished my Christmas shop now! Just got my dad left to decide if there is anything he would like - failing that we'll just give him the money. And that'll be me done, hoorah!! :)

Argh I'm still stuck for ideas. Christmas is a pain in the bum haha. I am waiting to see if I get a job this week or next; if so, then it means i can spend more than a few pounds as I'll have some money coming in at some point next month. Am currently looking up recipes/things i can cook instead...my mum is German so I might try and make some bavarian cookies (yummy!)

Argh I'm still stuck for ideas. Christmas is a pain in the bum haha. I am waiting to see if I get a job this week or next; if so, then it means i can spend more than a few pounds as I'll have some money coming in at some point next month. Am currently looking up recipes/things i can cook instead...my mum is German so I might try and make some bavarian cookies (yummy!)

Good luck with the job x

Thanks hon I've been applying to loads...even if I can just get a crap job for the time being, i just need a few hundred quid to tide me over another month or so...am aware a lot of places won't be too concerned with hiring this close to xmas so its a bit of a long shot but worth a go!!

Making stuff is a good idea, my daughter is baking gingerbread biscuits to put in our 'box', she has also got some little things not too sure what though.

good luck on the job front, it isn't a good time for job hunting, our industry goes soooooo quite as do many then the Christmas workers are already in their jobs.

Just saw this and it really made me stop and think. It's so true. I already have everything I need and I am sooo lucky...

image1.JPG

@happy holidays - I used to make vegan weddings cakes, truffles etc and have hordes of baking equipment...will be nice to make stuff again but its so damn hard not eating it all haha! Thanks for the good wishes too, I have an interview for care work (mon-fri though! woohoo!) on thursday, although its only part time and really, really badly paid. £800 a month :'( I'm going to go along and check it out, but probably won't take it unless they can give me more hours as its just not worth my time. i could walk into an NHS care job for 20k a year if i wanted to...but been trying hard to get away from care work because of long hours, cleaning up poo and vomit (for 5 years! gets a bit boring after a while) and i previously dealt with very violent people...have considered doing care again, but only if the hours/pay are right and if i am not working with violent people again. they all seem to get back in contact with me so its just a matter of going to interviews and grilling them about the clients, as some are reluctant to put 'challenging behaviour' on a job advert as it puts people off...its tough waiting, but i have some small aamount of savings, plus i could sell my van if things got really tough. i could find a care work before it came to that though, so I'm in a better situation than some who have to sign on every day and be forced onto slave labor job schemes! Its time like this I am so, so greatful I worked hard and saved some money for a rainy day - because now the rainy day has come, I can relax and not stress, and buy myself a bit of time to find a meaningful job rather than rush into something I will hate.

@Princess stevie - that picture is so true! My mum last night as we were putting up the xmas tree said 'what do you want for xmas then!' and i said, its very boring but if you really want to get me something then just put some cash in my bank account. I have all the physical things i could ever want, and as soon as i get a job i have no need for money...so the only thing i *might* need for xmas is cash to buy me another few weeks before i have to swallow my pride and go to the jobcentre haha. My mum is insistent she get me something, so as boring as it is, paying off my van insurance for a month, or my xmas phone bill, is infinitley more helpful and meaning ful than more 'stuff'. I'm also trying to sell most of my personal posessions to make money and also to trim it down for when I move out of the UK next year...seems mad to get more stuff!! Either way, xmas is a day to chill with loved ones, eat a roast, and do lots of snoozing :) that's the most important bit, and its FREE :)

Wasn't sure what to get my brother this year- mum pinched my aftershave idea! I thought about some drinks for the festive season but it seemed a bit of a cop-out til I saw 'beer cakes'. You basically arrange cans on three cake boards and secure with ribbon so its like a tiered cake! A bit more special :) going for carlsberg so it looks festive haha x

That's brilliant Rosie! hehehe

I finished my xmas shopping today...thankfully its over! Just waiting on a few deliveries from Amazon...and have gingerbread and a few gifts to make still...it's all already wrapped and done. Phew!

@happy holidays - I used to make vegan weddings cakes, truffles etc and have hordes of baking equipment...will be nice to make stuff again but its so damn hard not eating it all haha! Thanks for the good wishes too, I have an interview for care work (mon-fri though! woohoo!) on thursday, although its only part time and really, really badly paid. £800 a month :'( I'm going to go along and check it out, but probably won't take it unless they can give me more hours as its just not worth my time. i could walk into an NHS care job for 20k a year if i wanted to...but been trying hard to get away from care work because of long hours, cleaning up poo and vomit (for 5 years! gets a bit boring after a while) and i previously dealt with very violent people...have considered doing care again, but only if the hours/pay are right and if i am not working with violent people again. they all seem to get back in contact with me so its just a matter of going to interviews and grilling them about the clients, as some are reluctant to put 'challenging behaviour' on a job advert as it puts people off...its tough waiting, but i have some small aamount of savings, plus i could sell my van if things got really tough. i could find a care work before it came to that though, so I'm in a better situation than some who have to sign on every day and be forced onto slave labor job schemes! Its time like this I am so, so greatful I worked hard and saved some money for a rainy day - because now the rainy day has come, I can relax and not stress, and buy myself a bit of time to find a meaningful job rather than rush into something I will hate.

@Princess stevie - that picture is so true! My mum last night as we were putting up the xmas tree said 'what do you want for xmas then!' and i said, its very boring but if you really want to get me something then just put some cash in my bank account. I have all the physical things i could ever want, and as soon as i get a job i have no need for money...so the only thing i *might* need for xmas is cash to buy me another few weeks before i have to swallow my pride and go to the jobcentre haha. My mum is insistent she get me something, so as boring as it is, paying off my van insurance for a month, or my xmas phone bill, is infinitley more helpful and meaning ful than more 'stuff'. I'm also trying to sell most of my personal posessions to make money and also to trim it down for when I move out of the UK next year...seems mad to get more stuff!! Either way, xmas is a day to chill with loved ones, eat a roast, and do lots of snoozing :) that's the most important bit, and its FREE :)

You seem such a determined, selfless person, Mandlegrot and very well organised too. I think you hit the nail on the head when you said that Christmas Day is for sharing with your loved ones and just chilling out. Too many people spend ridiculous amounts at Christmas or get into debt, if they haven't the money to spend. And, yes, the best things in life are free (as the song goes) and Christmas is a good time to take a step back and think about what's good in our lives. I wish you loads of luck in finding a job you will be happy in and that is fairly paid too. Have a brilliant Christmas and good luck! :)

Kathy xx

I'm stuck on my last Christmas present :-( something for my OH's brother & girlfriend. They don't drink, don't really have hobbies and have just bought and furnished a new house. It doesn't have to be a joint gift but it could be. Any ideas would be fab!
Do they like coffee? Have a coffee machine? Maybe some nice espresso cups or a coffee grinder?

I'm stuck on my last Christmas present :-( something for my OH's brother & girlfriend. They don't drink, don't really have hobbies and have just bought and furnished a new house. It doesn't have to be a joint gift but it could be. Any ideas would be fab!

Tickets to a show/theatre
Cinema gift card
His n Hers matching bathrobes
A piece of art or picture for the new home

Back