Cigarette smoke advice needed

Ro Laren

7st 11lbs down ...
I recently bought a lovely jacket from ebay, but sadly it has a really strong smell of cigarette smoke, despite being washed.

Does anyone have any good tips for removing the smell?

Many thanks :)

Hi there Ro Laren

I just googled this for you and got ......

As far as odor removal goes, the best way to tackle that is through multiple washings of the affected article of clothing. You can actually try baking soda if you so desire because it's supposed to absorb odors and can be used as a regular additive to your laundry load. Another good thing to try is to line-dry the item. After removing the item from the washer, hang it on the clothesline in the back yard and let it dry completely. The fresh air and sunshine can do wonders for getting rid of odors

Hope this helps :)

Not sure where you will find fresh air and sunshine though! That is so annoying to receive an item that stinks. Baking soda is a top tip there, it really does absorb the odour. Try soaking it in baking soda before you wash it again

Thanks for your suggestions. I washed it in baking powder and vinegar, followed by a normal wash which seems to have done the trick.

Oh, for a balmy summer evening!

Oh, for a balmy summer evening!
One of the best ways to remove odours from clothes, or any fabrics, is to hang them out on a clothes line OVERNIGHT when Frost is forecast, and if you want to soften and fluff your towels hang them out to.

The good thing is that Frosty nights ore more frequent than balmy summer evenings ;)

Back