Clear obesity gene link 'found'

KD

Gone fishing
Clear obesity gene link 'found'

_42793875_stomach203.jpg
Scientists have found a clear genetic link to obesity

Scientists say they have identified the clearest genetic link to obesity yet.
They found people with two copies of a "fat" version of a gene had a 70% higher risk of obesity than those with none, and weighed 3kg (6.5lb) more.
The work in Science by the Peninsula Medical School and Oxford University studied data from about 40,000 people.
The findings suggest that although improving lifestyle is key to reducing obesity, some people may find it harder to lose weight because of their genes.
o.gif
start_quote_rb.gif
The typical message has been that if you are overweight it is due to sloth and gluttony and it is your fault
end_quote_rb.gif

Professor Andrew Chatterley

The authors say their work, funded by the Wellcome Trust, could improve understanding of obesity and eventually help prevent it, as well as an illness it is linked to.
Genome differences
Obesity is associated with an increased risk of type two diabetes, and the investigators first identified the FTO gene when looking for differences between the genomes of people with type two diabetes and people without diabetes.
People with type two diabetes were more likely to have a particular variant of the FTO gene, which was also shown to be linked to increased body weight.
The variant making people fatter differed from the other version of the FTO gene by a single mutation in the DNA sequence.

More here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/6547891.stm

-----------------------------------

Bet we won't get a solution in our lifetime!!!

Although i have to admit to the sloth and gluttony accusation too!!! LOL

I think it refers to people who eat normally but are overweight....although even then they aren't massively overweight

"Scientists say they have identified the clearest genetic link to obesity yet."

Why state there's a genetic link to 'obesity' then? Obesity is quite different from 'overweight'.

People have been saying for years that they can't understand why they're piling on the weight when they eat very similarly to their slimmer friends. And for years, 'the experts' have accused them of lying. Perhaps now, those who are affected can at least feel a little vindicated. I know it's no comfort to realise that losing weight will always be an uphill struggle but at least it might alleviate some of the shame and guilt.

"Scientists say they have identified the clearest genetic link to obesity yet. They found people with two copies of a "fat" version of a gene had a 70% higher risk of obesity than those with none, and weighed 3kg (6.5lb) more. "

This is what I was referring to....6.5lb overweight hardly puts you in the obese bracket, although obviously if you over eat you will, does it mean that with that gene you are more likely to over eat???? seems a bit misleading to me :confused:

Hate to say it but the only reason i am oveweight is because i put too much food in my cake hole :sigh:

Hate to say it but the only reason i am oveweight is because i put too much food in my cake hole :sigh:

It's amazing how many people won't just admit this!! hahaha!!

I remember that documentary about a skinny and chubby set of friends, skinny one said she ate loads, chubby one said she hardly ate a thing.

After researching the diets and following them for a few weeks the fat girl ate loads more calories then the thin one!!

I think it's amazing how we kid ourselves sometimes!!

Of course there are some people with a genuine gene defect but i bet it's not the majority of us!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

It's amazing how many people won't just admit this!! hahaha!!

I remember that documentary about a skinny and chubby set of friends, skinny one said she ate loads, chubby one said she hardly ate a thing.

After researching the diets and following them for a few weeks the fat girl ate loads more calories then the thin one!!

I think it's amazing how we kid ourselves sometimes!!

Of course there are some people with a genuine gene defect but i bet it's not the majority of us!!! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

here here!

Back