Clothes Rant

Lynn8124

Gold Member
I dunno if this is the right place for this but I totally flippin' hate the ugly, baggy, shapeless horrible clothes I own.:mad: Most trousers/pj bottoms are designed for someone of at least 5ft 9 it seems (I'm 5ft 5). When you're a size 26+ everything looks like sh1t in my honest opinion.:cry: I'd like to wear a skirt for a change but when I put one on it doesn't seem to hang properly and looks weird.:confused: Also do plus-sized clothes designers think plus sized people have plus sized heads too?? Any coat I ever bought has a hood that would do do two people! :rolleyes:

It's bloody depressing when almost everything I buy looks so bad. I got two "boxy style" tops from Littlewoods with elasticated cuffs and waists that look OK and a pair of black studded leggings that I hope look OK but that's it! Do nice, fitted clothes go up to an 18-20? Even that size would give me more choice I imagine.

Sorry for whinging, feel a bit better for it though! :giggle:

Hey Lynn.

Sorry to disappoint but I'm mostly In an 18 sometimes 16 and I still feel as though all my clothes are frumpy and baggy :(

I find they fit, but they don't fit if u get me. It's almost as if the people who made them said 'ahhh, there fat, it doesn't matter what they look like so long as there's enough material :(' that's how I feel anyways!

How has your journey been so far? Today Is day 1 of week 2 and had a cracking 1st week last week, lost 6.5lb :)

And about the clothes, it wont be too long until we are looking in the dressing room mirror trying gorgeous 'non frumpy' clothes saying "I knew I could do this!!"

Keep smiling :)

Em

-x-

Firstly, where do you shop?

I am a size 16/18 (18/20 at one point) and I don't really struggle to find clothes. Also what are your proportions, do you know your body shape?

I should be able to point you in the right direction!

i totally agree! the people who design plus size clothes obviously think that we want to walk around in shapeless sacks or trousers that are so baggy on the thigh area that we look like a clown!

i have also noticed that some of the plus size shops like evans have started selling more frumpy style clothes...

what happened to the trendy studded jeans and the sexy tops?

another of my gripes is that some of the trendier t-shirts and tops in plus sizes are either too short, which means my belly isnt hidden...or they are down to my knees!

ok....rant over !!! lol xxx

ive got a clothes rant, shops dont make them thinking people are weight training in mind. recently bought a dress, and i have to go a size bigger in it just to fit my arms in it. ive got a few shirts and dresses like that, and skinny jeans- i have to go a size bigger to get my calves in them :/

I used to get a lot of my stuff from Simply Be but I have to say it's a got so shapeless I don't any more!!

M&Co do some nice stuff.

Hey hun...I think I might have an answer to your prayer...an online company called yours dot co dot uk I think does clothes from 14 up to 30 I think...and the quality and price are outstanding....they are fitted and trendy and curvy women look great in them...I live in Ireland and they post internationally...another curvelicious friend of mine told me about them and I think I have about 6 of their items now from Maxi's to leggings to long flirty tshirts...I dont think I can post a website but google it and it might come up...best of luck...fireflii

Wow... Take a look ladies.......I've just Goggled them.. Really nice stuff.. Thanks fireflii :D

you are welcome littlesis...glad to be of help...I know it makes sense not to buy a mountain of clothes for each stone lost...but dont stay in baggy clothes either as it really disguises how much you change on this journey and there is nothing like the buzz you get from looking gud in a smaller the size than you normally wear...my motto is buy a little cheap and cheerful thats insize as you change...

Also look at ASOS(dot)com. Most of their normal range goes up to an 18 and or everything else there's the Curve range. Size 20+. ASOS Curve is made for women of those sizes rather then just upscaling skinny clothes.

Sorry I don't have any specific shop help but I agree about the length of things!!! Everything is made for giants! I guess they assume if it's too long you can always take stuff up rather than a tall person having it too short.

Sorry I don't have any specific shop help but I agree about the length of things!!! Everything is made for giants! I guess they assume if it's too long you can always take stuff up rather than a tall person having it too short.

Tell me about it! Even 'short leg' cover my (very small, admittedly) feet as well as my legs. Makes me feel like I'm a child playing dress up :mad:

My OH always has that complaint about larger collars on men's shirts. Just because you have a big neck doesn't mean you are large all over!! His shirts look ridiculous on him, they are massive!

I used to love Yours when I was plus sized. At one time it was the only place I could get lovely tops that were long enough to cover my bum!

Still too long on me :( I have 26"/27" legs :cry:

I have the opposite problem. I am also a shortie yet regular length trousers fit me just fine (30" inside leg). My torso on the other hand is ridiculous - it's so short. Tops never sit properly on my shoulders either. More shops should have petite sections!!

I have the opposite problem. I am also a shortie yet regular length trousers fit me just fine (30" inside leg). My torso on the other hand is ridiculous - it's so short. Tops never sit properly on my shoulders either. More shops should have petite sections!!

We should do some swaps to equal us out. I could easily shop in the tall section for tops.

My mum is quite short and a size 14. She shops in the Next petite section.

I need to get longer length trousers because normal is too short but the long are still dragging on the ground!

You little ladies need to invest in some small heeled shoes to stop those jeans dragging! You only need a small inch or two heel.

Good idea but couldn't wear Heels all the time! I've justtt bought some jeans from gap 30 length and they fit!! Only slight bunching at the ankle.

I guess unless you get custom made trousers off the rack is rarely perect for anyone. I'll just get my tailor to whip me up some :p

I dunno if this is the right place for this but I totally flippin' hate the ugly, baggy, shapeless horrible clothes I own.:mad: Most trousers/pj bottoms are designed for someone of at least 5ft 9 it seems (I'm 5ft 5). When you're a size 26+ everything looks like sh1t in my honest opinion.:cry: I'd like to wear a skirt for a change but when I put one on it doesn't seem to hang properly and looks weird.:confused: Also do plus-sized clothes designers think plus sized people have plus sized heads too?? Any coat I ever bought has a hood that would do do two people! :rolleyes:

It's bloody depressing when almost everything I buy looks so bad. I got two "boxy style" tops from Littlewoods with elasticated cuffs and waists that look OK and a pair of black studded leggings that I hope look OK but that's it! Do nice, fitted clothes go up to an 18-20? Even that size would give me more choice I imagine.

Sorry for whinging, feel a bit better for it though! :giggle:

At my biggest size 24 I bought a lot of stuff from Ebay Uk and US aswell as Asos curve. Must say its a matter of shopping around especially on the net. I found New Look stuff not nice enough:eek:, Matalan too mumsy (am 31), Evans brrr and in my opinion Yours would have nice stuff once in a while. I knew the girls who worked at yours and whenever I went there they would asked if their stuff was nice enough for me :eek: lol. I love dresses but if you are big then you need to invest in shapewear it makes a difference so does a good fitting bra. Just shop around am sure you`ll find stuff. Try this link Evans Fashion Fix it has different blogs about fashion it gives or shows how to work an outfit etc. I also like fishionistas like Gok Wan, he gives good advice about how to look sexy. As someone said if you know your body shape then its easier to shop. Don`t give in to baggy clothes hun.... A bit of an essay there isn`t :)

Back