Clothes sizes

Ninja

Silver Member
I despair of clothes sizing. I went into some local charity shop after WI looking for some new black work trousers. There was nothing in a size 14 that I could find but did find some nice 'NEXT' denim cropped trousers in a size 12. I thought I'll try them on and maybe they'll fit me towards the end of the summer. THEY FIT!!!!! I was amazed and so chuffed. I then went next door to another charity shop and found some quarter length black trousers which would do for work in the summer in a size 14. Didn't bother trying them on and they're ok, but a little snug on the bum.
I have a pair of River Island trousers that are tight around the waste but huge on bum and legs - they're a size 16. All other 16's are hanging off me.

Why can't the manufacturers just get to together and make the clothes the same sizes. :mad:

Grrr - i feel your frustration!!

I have a range of clothes in a 10 to 14 in my wardrobe and all of them fit!

Love charity shops though, they are my fave shops for a splurge!!

Urgh...it's daft isn't it! And it's not like it's consistently different - it varies from shop to shop as well. I'm a 12-14 but have 10s and 16s in my wardrobe...from the same place!

And things are cut differently for different shapes - like in DPs, they make their trousers for pear-shaped girls. For apples with narrow hips and big bellies like me, they look daft. In fact, I find it hard to get good fitting trousers anywhere. I am such a weird shape.

This could potentially turn into a mega-rant. I'd better stop now. Is it any wonder I have a handbag fetish? They fit every time! LOL!

Now now...steady on Kristin...nekkid?! Noooobody would want to see me nekkid! LOL!

For jeans, I'd recommend Gap. Although they do styles that fit in with current fashion, they also do a load of standard styles and most people can find something that suits their body shape (and leg length). They can be a bit pricey, so either find a Gap Outlet, or fork out for them - they last brilliantly!

Totally agree.
I was buying a top at the weekend, and tried the 'usual' 18....tent like. No 16s, so tried the 14 (unhead of)....and it fitted lovely. Ironic thing was, so did the size 22 blouse I was wearing at the time....!?!?! lo

I bought 2 white polo tops from BHS for work, same size, one was nice and the other far too snug!( Only now the snug one fits nicely and the other is getting a bit loose! :D)

I tell you motorcycle gear sizes are the worst..... if I was a XL in normal clothing..... a motorcycle jacket could be as amuch as 3 XL possibly 4 XL. Most are made in Asia were little people make them.

Phil x

i know the feeling, as i've got things in my wardrobe from a 12 to a 14, but there are some 14's that seem to be too tight on me, oh i also have a 16 in a skirt. Its a nightmare, as you feel down if you try something on that is your normal size and it ends up too small!!!!

Do you have shops you just walk past because they're "thin" shops? (or in my case young as well!)

I buy my jeans off ebay. I can only get jeans from next cos i need long ones, they cost thirty to forty quid in the shop and i got some off ebay on monday for three quid including postage!!!!

NEXT go up to 34" don't they? How long are your legs :confused:

i have the opposite problem as im short. Next do a petite range, however they obviously think that short people are smaller than a 16 as that is the biggest size they go up to! i did however manage to get my size 16 petite jeans on this morning but i couldnt wear them out as they are a bit tight maybe in a couple of weeks!!

It would make life so much easier if they made all sizes the same in all the shops...............................but then you dont have the fun of trying things on!!!! :) :) :)

Back