Clueless about clothes!

Enough

Gold Member
So, as a teenager I was more interested in NME and Melodymaker than Cosmo etc.. Myself and my friends were all about being scruffy, combats and docs..

Here I am, in my 30s and I've NEVER done make-up.. For the last ten years I've just had to buy 'it fits, it'll do' clothes.. and now I'm facing a dilemma!!

pretty much all this stuff.. shoes, makeup, jewelery etc etc has completely passed me by!! My OH has never seemed to mind, but then our main interests are reading, hiking, gardening, and going to gigs and drinking beer! I think he just thinks of me as a best mate with extras anyway!! Haha!!

I've just been hearing people talking about 'plung bras' on another thread and I realised that I felt like I'd entered a foreign world! ..like I don't even think of myself as female...??!!

So, where do I start? I do like to look and feel feminine, I've just never really thought of learning! Haha!!

Vx

a good step would be to buy Trinny and Sussana book- I have pretty much all of them but I think one is called "what you can wear can change your life" and the other "what not to wear". They are reletaivly old so should be able to pick one up cheap on Amazon. These books (altho I dont like all there styles) will give you the basics of what cuts will look good on which type of frame, and they go thourgh all the different body types. This is a good start. Once you have identified which cuts are good on you (i,e, big bust = v neck or circle neck) you could perhaps start looking through magazines such as look or grazia to see how to accesorise some basics to make them elegant and feminine. In terms of make up - depending on how much you want to spend, you could always go to a make up counter in a dept. store, which will usually give you a make over and you are under no obligation to purchase. Alternatively, you could check out make up tutorials on youtube, there are plenty. I wish you every success in dressing for your new fab figure! x

Are you my long lost sister? ;) I'm just the same, more into music ect than fashion.
My DH says my style is DYKE! :8855: And I never wear makeup, life's too short.
But I do like nice undies, well my DH like it.;)
Go shopping with your OH to M&S undie dept and see what he likes, he might even treat you.
The other option is to get a personal shopper, I think Debenham's offer this. But don't move too far from what you normally wear, or the clothes will just stay in your wardrobe. I know this to my bank balance's cost.:eek:

How exciting that you're thinking about all these things again.

I suggest going to see the Personal Shopper in Debenhams. You make an appointment and it's a free service they provide. You have a consultation together and she goes and shops for you and brings it all to you in your giant luxury changing room. It's all very relaxed and they are lovely.

I would start looking online at fashion websites and magazines and just see what fashion you like. Even print off or cut out pictures of clothes you like. Don't worry wether it will suit you or not as all styles can be adjusted to your body shape. It's loads of fun really. Used to be a Personal Shopper which i loved but left to do my music career. If I an help with anything, please let me know. I love fashion and it's so much fun being able to wear what I like again.

Enjoy xxx

Are you my long lost sister? ;) I'm just the same, more into music ect than fashion.
My DH says my style is DYKE! :8855: And I never wear makeup, life's too short.
.:eek:

Haha!! That's Meee!! In my last job I actually had to 'come out' as straight, cause everyone simply assumed Haha :D

Last time I attempted 'fashion', I bought a lovely little bag, and my friends/colleagues found it hillarious and told me it made me look like a tranny :D ..only thing is, trannys tend to be Great at this stuff!! Haha - much better than me :D

How exciting that you're thinking about all these things again.

I suggest going to see the Personal Shopper in Debenhams.

Fab! I'll book it as a treat for myself in a couple of weeks! Can't wait! what a great service.. I didn't know they did it..

Thank you!

Vxx

By the way, there is no pressure on you to buy. They won't push you into anything. They'll go through colours and styles with you etc. If you start looking at fashion now so you have some idea of what you like, that'll def help.

You'll have to keep us posted, exciting xxx

It IS exciting!

I wore a new white blouse and cream 3/4 length trousers at work on monday, and I had such an applause/joke wolf-whistles etc from my colleagues, it was more than I could handle! :eek: :D

..they've only ever seen me in dark clothes, and never in sandals.. they'd certainly never seen my ankles before - I know that for a fact, cause it's the first time I've shaved in nearly a year!! Hahahaha!! :D

Vx

Ooh, you're ripe for a makeover!!! What about those companies that give you a makeover and then take some glam pics?

You could go into any department store and to the makeup counters, like Clinique for example and they will do your makeup and advise you on products.

With regards to clothes it sounds like you're already making an effort and I bet you look great. Like others have said, start with some nice underwear - go and get measured for a bra maybe.

I've always loved hair, makeup and clothes, but was a complete tomboy as a kid and still am.

OOH i'm such a girlie girl and having dressing in hoodys and jeans for 3 years at uny i bought myself a pretty frock the other day and thats it in the pic. It make u feel soooo good to get noticed and complemented. Keep it up honey and take the girls advice there are so many good fashion stores out there selling all kinds of wonderful things. Try something new everytime u go shopping :) xx

i cant wait to wear a pretty dress again, i live in trackies and vests at the moment i just dont feel comfortable in anything else, you treat yourself to some nice things you deserve it hun xx

blimey! I'm feeling welcomed into the world of female mystique! :D

This is fab! and such great ideas.. of course, i probably could have dicovered this world a tad earlier, but it's never too late.. and I recon, if I start preparing now, I'm going to be an amazing 50-something!! :D

Vxx

Oh my I cannot wait to be able to wear whatever I want to. And like you I have no idea what I would chose.

At the moment I have ALOT of fab shoes and handbags because they always fit LOL

Sunshine suggested a personal shopper @ Debenhams. I would do that if I were you. They may chose things you would never even think about and it may look amazing.

Go and have fun.

Haha!! That's Meee!! In my last job I actually had to 'come out' as straight, cause everyone simply assumed Haha :D

Vxx

It's doesn't help that I live in Hebden Bridge, which has a huge lesbian population. I fit right in.:rolleyes:
A few ( well more than a few) years ago, when I was very slim & a gym bunny, my style was more Skate Punk than dyke. Well apart for the bikers jacket, my pride & joy. Still got that in the back of my wardrobe. So much so my DH got me a skateboard for christmas!:8855:

oh my god, i'm almost jealous!!! It must be so much fun to discover what fits and what suits you now!

First and foremost, start off at the hairdressers...a new "do" will style your wardrobe....ask for the head stylist and ask them for advice on cut and colour.....be warned it could cost a few quid...

Next, hit the make up counters in boots/debenhams etc....and get a free make-over...you need to look fabulous in preparation for your spending spree (Gok says to never go shopping feeling and looking like sh&t as that will feed into the clothes you buy)...

Then, get yourself into Debenhams personal shopping department....and start from the inside out....so undies for, refit for bra etc....then nightware, and FINALLY....the trousers, tops, dresses, skirts, jackets, etc!

Try not to focus on the shoes and handbags too much until you have the clothes sorted....once you know what your buying, if you still have the willpower, go for the shoes and handbags...

I say to do this bit last as its a) the easiest and b) although accessories make an outfit, you need the basics first!

phew! Hope that helps! There is a LOT of shopping you have to make up for now!!!! And dont be scared...being a girl is AMAZING!!!!:)

xxx

What a fab response!! I'm getting quite excited about this now! I might even give the hair dressers a ring in a bit!

Thank you guys! This really does make a difference to me - like I'm being welcomed in to a world I've always felt a little 'outside' of.. if that makes sense... :)

has a huge lesbian population.

Not all lesbians are huge you know ! Hahaha - sorry - couldn't resist :p

Vxx

I think you should turn this thread into your 'make me a lady' project!!! Then we can have before and after pics and you can post pics of clothes/hair etc to get peoples' thoughts :)

What a fab response!! I'm getting quite excited about this now! I might even give the hair dressers a ring in a bit!

Thank you guys! This really does make a difference to me - like I'm being welcomed in to a world I've always felt a little 'outside' of.. if that makes sense... :)

I feel excited for you. Think you've got some very good advice here. Definitely you need to feel good about yourself before you go to shop for clothes. Getting your hair done with a good stylist will work wonders for you and make you feel a million pounds (though hopefully it won't cost that much).

Please post some before and after pics for us. It will inspire us to achieve too :D

Hi, I also have to learn more about clothes, fashion, putting on makeup and these things. I long for when I reach my goal weight, and then I will do all this things, personal shopper and get a basic wardrobe put together. I don't want to spend much money now, but I will need some things here and there on the journey to my goal weight :D.

We should start a support group for us who wants to learn :D, I think there are more of us out there!

I'm so excited for you, it sounds great to be in that place where life begins to change. Come the end of the day this is what its all about, and you've made it happen - you should be so proud of yourself! I find myself wistfully thinking of having a major hairstyle overhaul 'when I'm slim' and buying normal clothes, without having to try 20 things to get the 'one' that gives enough coverage. This is the first time when i've dieted when I've let myself think it can be possible!.. xx

Hi Enough!

Have you booked your hair appointment??

I love seeing people have make overs!!! I have helped people in the process a few times, and seeing how they feel is amazing afterwards!

I am a proper girlie girl, although when I was bigger I didn't really fancy doing anything for myself! I love having painted toe nails, doing my hair, and makeup! I am not a big fan of foundation, but love eyeshadow and blusher!! Along with some bronzer....

I am a proper dress and skirt girl, and prefer wearing these to trousers!!

Where abouts do you live? I am in Derby.

I think when we have all finished this we should do a shopping day all together!!

What shape would you say you are? Apple (bigger in the middle), pear (bigger hips and bum), hourglass (big hips, smaller waist and big bust) - or use the shapes out of Trinny and Susanna.

Just imagine all the wolf whistles you will get with your new hair and clothes!! Whoop whoop!

Bethan x

Back