Coffee Mate Bad Idea?

MrMojo

Wannabe Mankini Model
Hi All,

I know this has probably been asked numerous times, but I'm only on day 3 of my restart and I'm already suffering from furry tongue and feeling like I have something in the back of my throat that I need to swallow.

Is is ok to use Coffee Mate on TS?

Coffee Mate Original Powder

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 tsp (2g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories 10 Calories From Fat 5

% Daily Value*
Total Fat 0.5g 1%
Saturated Fat .5g 3%
Trans Fat 0g
Polyunsaturated Fat 0g
Monounsaturated Fat 0g
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 0mg 0%
Total Carbohydrate 1g 0%
Sugars 0g
Protein 0g

Both the Reduced Fat and Lite versions have 0 calories from fat...

It's the 1g of carbs though that worries me!!

I would say your probably best just using a vanilla shake as your whitener as it does work!! And you know it's safe on the diet!

Yeah i know some people use the vanilla shake as a whitener and I have done this in the past too. The shakes have almost 20g of carbs in them.

it's not just the calories and carbs though, it's best to avoid things like that, if we were allowed them we'd know by now

Yeah I know they have the carbs in but we don't know what the limit of carbs is before your not longer in ketosis if you get me? Obviously the amount in the shakes is low enough that we still go in but don't know what the boarder line is!

Yeah the packs give you about 60g of carbs between them (a little more if you're having a bar) but everyone's ketosis limit will be slightlly different so having even a small amount of extra carbs can mean it takes you out of ketosis. MFP shows it as having 2g of carbs per teaspoon for the fat free one.

I also found this when looking up the ingredients:

Powder Coffee-mate
Powder Coffee-mate comes in 11 flavors including unflavored, sugar-free and fat-free varieties. Coffee-mate Original powder contains corn syrup solids, the trans fat coconut or palm kernel oil, sodium caseinate and dipotassium phosphate which moderates coffee acidity. Next on the list are mono- and diglycerides, emulsifiers that are considered safe for human consumption. Next is sodium aluminosilicate; this ingredient contains sodium, aluminium, silicon and oxygen and is used as an anti-caking agent in foods. Casein is a nutritious protein found in milk. Sodium caseinate, made from casein, is a thickening and whitening agent.

Sounds like it's full of artificial crap.

Wow yeah it does seem like a load of Crap doesn't it???

I think I'll revert back to using vanilla shakes as whitener then :(

I love coffee mate in my coffee, just tried my first black coffee and it just did not hit that spot :(

I wouldn't risk it! I used to use it in my coffee but I don't think I will after seeing all that crap in it!

Does the vanilla as whitener taste anything similar to coffee mate though? I don't mind black coffee, but it would be a nice change.

I just got a Massimo Americano from the Costa we have here at work and I used a whole vanilla shake in it. It tastes OK I guess, better than it does without it, but make sure you don't just poor it into the coffee and stir or you'll have loads of lumps. Took me about 5 minutes to get rid of them :D

I usually add a spoonful of instant coffee to my vanilla shake so this seems like a waste of a shake to me

Haha! I'm currently having a vanilla shake with two giant spoonfuls of coffee in it. It's delicious! :)

It's definitely better that way round :p

I didn't even want to try the vanilla shake on it's own. Do you have the chocolate one with coffee as well? It's also delicious! lol

yep, vanilla, chocolate and banana :D

Banana? That doesn't sound appealing to me at all! Doesn't seem like it would be a good combo.

It's nice, honest, especially if you like coffee. Just don't try it with Strawberry :p

I *might* give it a try. I don't like the strawberry shake at all. Made me feel a bit sick!

Does nobody just have milk?! I've never given that up on any shake diet and its never affected my ketosis. I don't drink masses I guess but still love a full-fat latte in town occasionally :eek:

Nope! I feel if I just add a little milk or something then I'll think oh I'll just have a little this and a little that! So I'll just skip it all together lol.

Back