Coming off a VLCD

The reason people often have gall bladder problems when dieting (on any diet) is because without sufficient fat in the diet, the bile duct doesn't open up to secrete the bile to process fat and as a result, gall stones can form in the inactive duct, so it could happen to anyone. Yes Gazter, not learning about healthy eating whilst on the VLCD is a concern, hence my desire to try SW, but what could be a better boost to your motivation, especially when you have a lot of weight to lose, than getting super-quick results? After that, what you do is all in your hands, just like any diet. You can choose to learn healthy eating by following a good healthy eating plan, (like SW), or you can go back to your bad habits. At the end of the day YOU are still in the driving seat. Unfortunately nobody can do that bit for you. The best of luck to everyone, however you choose to lose your weight :D[/QUOTE

its also caused by a series of changes in your body chemistry when you enter a sustained fat burning mode. More specifically an increase in cholesterol in bile.

Both my surgeon and gp were quite dismissive though. They said that loads of people have gallstones, you can get them for many different reasons, and it is more likely you have had them for years. Probably the weight loss aggrevated an existing (unknown) condition.

Well, despite all my anxieties about gaining weight when coming off a VLCD, it appears that I have lost another two pounds already this week! I have been hopping on the scales every day, just to keep a check on what is happening. Thanks to all your good advice, I have been easing myself in very gently to the plan and adding foods very slowly and carefully. My daughter has lost weight too and is enjoying all the meals so much that she says she doesn't feel like she is on a diet at all, so it will be SW all the way from now on! :D Here's to a good weigh-in on Monday. Have a great weekend everybody, whatever you may be doing!

:party0011:

Hi Mandelgrot :) I had some POTATO this evening for the first time (yummy), but no other carbs all week. Yes, it has been very strange, as I haven't had a break in between. I still feel very full when I eat, but I am starting to be able to put a bit more free/superfree foods away every day. I am getting into the swing of it now and am enjoying being creative with my meal plans. I have had my head in the book all week too. It has all been a bit of a culture shock really, but I am sure it will all be worth it in the end. :D

Well, despite all my anxieties about gaining weight when coming off a VLCD, it appears that I have lost another two pounds already this week! I have been hopping on the scales every day, just to keep a check on what is happening. Thanks to all your good advice, I have been easing myself in very gently to the plan and adding foods very slowly and carefully. My daughter has lost weight too and is enjoying all the meals so much that she says she doesn't feel like she is on a diet at all, so it will be SW all the way from now on! :D Here's to a good weigh-in on Monday. Have a great weekend everybody, whatever you may be doing!

That's amazing :)

Thanks for your help and encouragement gazter :) Have a good weekend.:D

I did a vlcd last summer for 4 weeks (3 for diet, 1 week refeed) then went on holiday and have pretty much maintained ever since, I did SW before and lost 1 and a half stone, and vlcd and lost 18lbs then been using SW to maintain since, kinda 70/30. Now back on SW properly to lose the last I want to, lost 4lbs my first week, then STS then 2.5 this week. Vlcd diets are brilliant as long as you do them properly and learn what they teach you about portions. I'm way way more controlled about what I consume now, and even am losing doing extra easy which I didn't pre vlcd.

You def can lose weight after a vlcd on SW as long as you learnt some lessons from doing it. Banished a lot of food demons for me that month last summer, and taught me about true hunger and eating for the sake of it, I think when people don't realise these things or learn from something that's when the weight piles back on.

Good luck, SW is fab! As was my vlcd (although an experience I hope to not have again!!! Hah) x

Hello charl_young :) Yes, you are absolutely right about portion size. I think that is one of the things you do take from a VLCD. It is amazing how much we think is 'enough'. On a VLCD you realise just how very little 'enough' is!I think a VLCD teaches you to be satisfied with a lot less of everything. My VLCD was a great tool to help me get my weight down quickly and I also learned about real hunger and emotional hunger, and that the emotional one is the one I need to get to grips with. On the VLCD I learned to be a lot more chilled about hunger pangs too and not to jump up and stick something in my mouth the minute I felt one! Waiting for the meal time to come around, finding I could distract myself with other things and getting used to the feeling of real hunger helped me to appreciate my meals so much more :D

I had the exact same experience, I'm so pleased I did it as its really helped me stop over eating. I tended to be a serious grazer as well as quite big portions, but now I keep track of my intake cal wise but use the SW principles. Works really well for me now, good luck with SW it's a fab diet after a vlcd, took me ages to get used to carbs again, I still like red days more since doing the vlcd and get quite bloated of EE plan, but it's good, really satisfying! X

I sometimes count calories, or take them into consideration, despite doing green on SW. Its a great plan, and works better for me than any other plan (meal replacements - not vegan, calorie counting - long! vlcd - I'd eat my arm after a day!) but I have to watch my carbs on SW as I eat a lot more of them than someone on red/EE would. I don't tend to count daily calories, but read a packet/weigh up food so I know how many calories it is - this makes me control my portion before I've eaten it which is great, as i'm one of those people who makes a food mountain on my plate and I HATE waste, and not finishing food as i was taught to 'eat everything'. I'd love to calorie count for a day to see how many I'm taking in - I thought about it the other day as I'd had jacket potato for dinner with beans (both high in calories, but free on sw) and salad, then sweet potato wedges and salad for lunch along with other stuff...i thought it would be quite high but it worked out around 1500 for the day, give or take a few, and i was STUFFED all day and felt like I didn't stop eating! Fantastic.

It has made me realise how much calories i must have been taking in, and how they were the wrong foods that don't fill you but load you with fat and calories. it disguists me now to think about eating one of those large bags of crisps, or a multipack of choc :)

How does red work? are a lot of carbs syns?

Well, I guess I answered my own question. Yes, you CAN lose weight doing SW after a VLCD, because I just got home from my weigh-in and I have lost four and a half pounds this week! I am of course very pleased with the results. I was very careful, especially with carbs, but I did eat a jacket potato in a cafe one day and even had a packed lunch one day, with an egg sandwich using the bread from my HExB during the week. I had plenty to eat, lots of free/superfree foods, fitted in a couple of exercise classes, really enjoyed planning and preparing REAL food and basically enjoyed the plan all the way. My daughter lost two and a half pounds this week too, so it has been good all round! :D

Mandelgrot, you are right, I think you always have to take calories into consideration. I know that SW does not take this approach, they say MODERATION in all things. However, if we keep our portions of the higher-calorie foods down and fill up on our superfree foods we are in fact limiting our calories. I am very wary of 'unlimited' anything, because you would be surprised at just how much 'free' foods some of us could get through in a sitting and this can definitely up the number of calories we are consuming and affect our progress. I definitely do think we need to be aware of how MUCH we are eating.

Love this thread :) I have done vlcd and too over Xmas struggled and binged gaining 13lb but soon lost that after Xmas, I am joining back to SW today and have got myself on plan since Monday took 5 days to get my loss in order having gained 5lb on the 1st day but finally this morning I weigh the same as I did on Sunday morning :) its really hard to stay motivated when the weight loss is not as fast as vlcd but have to remember it is healthier and I don't feel like I will pass out every time I stand up :)

Mandelgrot, you are right, I think you always have to take calories into consideration. I know that SW does not take this approach, they say MODERATION in all things. However, if we keep our portions of the higher-calorie foods down and fill up on our superfree foods we are in fact limiting our calories. I am very wary of 'unlimited' anything, because you would be surprised at just how much 'free' foods some of us could get through in a sitting and this can definitely up the number of calories we are consuming and affect our progress. I definitely do think we need to be aware of how MUCH we are eating.

if you follow the rules it works... But, many of us are experts at avoiding rules.

A small example was one of those embarrassing fat bodies or year to same my life, cant remember which. One of the people had got themselves a gastric band, so she couldnt physically eat much food. She got chocolate, sweets and ice cream then liquidised it with a blender so she could drink it instead.

That is serious self harm.

Tonight was my weigh-in night and I lost another pound and a half. That makes six pounds in two weeks. I have noticed that whenever I eat carbs my weight does bounce back up a bit. I had some noodles and potatoes this week and a few bananas too, however the over-all trend is still downwards and I can't ask for any more than that! :D

if you follow the rules it works... But, many of us are experts at avoiding rules.

A small example was one of those embarrassing fat bodies or year to same my life, cant remember which. One of the people had got themselves a gastric band, so she couldnt physically eat much food. She got chocolate, sweets and ice cream then liquidised it with a blender so she could drink it instead.

That is serious self harm.

Yes, I remember very many years ago when dieters were having their jaws wired to help them lose weight, that many of them did just that, liquidised the high-calorie foods and consumed them just the same. I think they stopped wiring jaws up when they found that people were choking to death on their own vomit!

There have certainly been some very drastic ways to shed the pounds over the years, people even used to swallow tapeworm eggs so that the tapeworm consumed the calories instead! Slimming World is much more fun!! :D

Another two pounds off tonight! :D That makes a total of eight pounds in three weeks! I guess you CAN lose weight on SW after coming off a VLCD!

Another two pounds off tonight! :D That makes a total of eight pounds in three weeks! I guess you CAN lose weight on SW after coming off a VLCD!

Well done you! My Mum does SW so I was considering joining her when my packs run out. Your experience is making me more sure of my decision to do so.

Well done you! My Mum does SW so I was considering joining her when my packs run out. Your experience is making me more sure of my decision to do so.

Good luck lass321. SW is a sensible eating plan that we can follow for life. The food allowance is really generous and all the lovely SW recipes are delicious. It is also great to go to group every week and benefit from all the support there. Somehow the weigh-in seems to mean so much more when you go along to group. I really can recommend SW to anyone who wants to lose weight and keep it off.

All the best to you on your weight-loss journey :)

Back