Common SW misconceptions put right.

I'll add one to this to do with the new sp plan.

Sw advise against synning anything that has or contains higher amounts of what would be free food on an ee day.

For example if following an sp day don't eat/syn hash browns, the potato is a free food but the added oil and coatings are synned but sp protects losses and as such by still eating these but synning them your not having a true sp day.

This is useful, guilty of thinking sone of these things recently so good to read!! x

Hi im new to slimming world...i completed my first week today and lost 2.5lb....just wanted to know if you really have to use all of your syns for a higher weight loss?

Hi im new to slimming world...i completed my first week today and lost 2.5lb....just wanted to know if you really have to use all of your syns for a higher weight loss?

Many people say they get better losses when they use all their Syns but SW 'rules' say you can have between 5 and 15 a day. You don't have to have them all every single day but don't cut down too much, too soon or else you have no room to manoeuvre if your weight loss stalls or plateaus as you near target. Using Syns stops you from feeling deprived and makes the plan easier to stick to long term and remember that you don't have to use your Syns on things such as alcohol, crisps, chocolate or cake - what about using them for gravy, salad dressing, extra bread or cereal, a Yorkshire pud etc.

I think syns is short for synergy (not sins as some people seem to think). It all works together in an holistic way over the longer term. I think you should listen to your body and mind and do what suits you best, and as said above they can be used on healthy choices. I would never use mine on chocolate for example because one choccy treat would never be enough, so I use mine for extra crispbread or cheese or such like. I rarely use the whole lot, but it is good to know that they are there if I do need them.

Many people say they get better losses when they use all their Syns but SW 'rules' say you can have between 5 and 15 a day. You don't have to have them all every single day but don't cut down too much, too soon or else you have no room to manoeuvre if your weight loss stalls or plateaus as you near target. Using Syns stops you from feeling deprived and makes the plan easier to stick to long term and remember that you don't have to use your Syns on things such as alcohol, crisps, chocolate or cake - what about using them for gravy, salad dressing, extra bread or cereal, a Yorkshire pud etc.

I've stopped using my syns on crap and my losses have rocketed in comparison. Remember sugar habits are addictions by using syns on sugar laden snacks your feeding that addiction and sometimes all the sw will power in the world won't stop you going crazy feeding it.

Cut the addiction and you're less likely to have them splurges

It's been interesting reading particularly on the subject of syns. I find I use syns as a way of measuring how far I could be straying from health. I've never really been one for cake and chocolate or sugar but my god I think about having a glass of wine a long time before having it now! Because it's not 'food' like oil or butter or gravy, I'd never really thought about it before but it really brings it home that the mindless glug of oil into the food (or wine into the mouth!) while cooking really affects weight loss.

On another topic sometimes people are confused about homemade soups..surely if made with vegetables and stock cubes it's free/super free? Or does it fall into the 'changing the texture' category?

X

It's been interesting reading particularly on the subject of syns. I find I use syns as a way of measuring how far I could be straying from health. I've never really been one for cake and chocolate or sugar but my god I think about having a glass of wine a long time before having it now! Because it's not 'food' like oil or butter or gravy, I'd never really thought about it before but it really brings it home that the mindless glug of oil into the food (or wine into the mouth!) while cooking really affects weight loss.

On another topic sometimes people are confused about homemade soups..surely if made with vegetables and stock cubes it's free/super free? Or does it fall into the 'changing the texture' category?

X

Homemade soups are ok - providing all the ingredients are free veg. It's only fruit that you have to syn when you cook/mash/puree :)

X

Yeah im not really one for cake and chocolate either but i use mine on crisps but i was soo shocked to see seabrooks syns were 8 per pack :O

This is so true - I see so many posts on FB from people eating ridiculous food! SW is all about educating yourself to eat healthily for life.

I'm new to slimming world and whilst I dont eat muller lights (only occasionally the 1 syn desert ones) or the rice, I thought Muller lights were listed as free? I've never seen anything listed as 0 syns?

my consultant told me that it's not necessary to have the 1/3 as superfree on EE, it's just optional ...........
I would probably check this as I was always told you should have a 1/3 superfree where possible. So for example you wouldn't put fruit on top of beans on toast but maybe have a bowl of fruit with it. If you're having say SW chips and eggs then you should have third of veggies to make up your third. You'll get better weight loses that way I would think :D

I'm new to slimming world and whilst I dont eat muller lights (only occasionally the 1 syn desert ones) or the rice, I thought Muller lights were listed as free? I've never seen anything listed as 0 syns?

Yes, they are Free, the ordinary ones. :)

Kathy

That's interesting about the fruit and not mashing cooking it. I see why though. I think I'd eat more cooked fruit than I would raw.

That's interesting about the fruit and not mashing cooking it. I see why though. I think I'd eat more cooked fruit than I would raw.

And that's the point. Fruit is still high in natural sugars, so you should eat it in its most natural form. You could easily puree 2 or 3 bananas in a smoothie and drink the lot, but would you really eat 3 bananas in one sitting? Probably not.

SW is moving much more towards identifying your own personal satiety limits - how much it takes to satisfy YOUR appetite - hence the focus now on S and P foods.

I've only been on the diet for a week and lost 4lbs, however I'm a bit confused. For lunch I had 100g of pasta with some smoked salmon and I thought this was ok as they are both free foods? but now I've read you have to have veg with it? even if the pasta is filling on its own?.

Yes ^ If you fill a third of a plate with veggies, that's a third less pasta than one would normally have on their plate. I suppose you could dish up and take a third off, but it's better to fill up with the veg.

I found the portion control advice so very helpful. I have gained a lot of weight in just 3 weeks on SW - I now realise even tho I do have a good 1/3 on the plate of free veg, that I am still consuming way more calories in free foods than I was previously. I have a gastric band and had it loosened off the day I joined SW. I guess the math for me is that I was eating less calories but of the wrong foods - not how a bandster should eat, btw - but now I have probably trebled my calories despite it being free SW food. I am going to have a bit put back in my band next Thursday and see if smaller portions (which I cannot manage without my band) is the combination that will work for me. I simply never feel full and maybe I was stupid to think loosening my band and joining SW would be the key. Am just trying to avoid any rubbish between now and Thursday xx wish me luck - am so down - am now 12 lbs heavier than three weeks ago. :( xx

Back