Common SW misconceptions put right.

I found the portion control advice so very helpful. I have gained a lot of weight in just 3 weeks on SW - I now realise even tho I do have a good 1/3 on the plate of free veg, that I am still consuming way more calories in free foods than I was previously. I have a gastric band and had it loosened off the day I joined SW. I guess the math for me is that I was eating less calories but of the wrong foods - not how a bandster should eat, btw - but now I have probably trebled my calories despite it being free SW food. I am going to have a bit put back in my band next Thursday and see if smaller portions (which I cannot manage without my band) is the combination that will work for me. I simply never feel full and maybe I was stupid to think loosening my band and joining SW would be the key. Am just trying to avoid any rubbish between now and Thursday xx wish me luck - am so down - am now 12 lbs heavier than three weeks ago. :( xx

Hi, I'm new here but just wanted to say keep your chin up ammixx {{{hugs}}}

Just re read this after a bit of a disappointing result just going to keep going keeping it healthy :)

you wont lose weight if you dont eat at least 5 syns a day

wrong! of course you can!

You have to like vegetables to do slimming world, and need your 1/3 speed to lose

again wrong!, it helps keep you full, but not an absolute requirement

It's not a silly statement, Jaffaqueen. Yes, I know what you mean - a pound of feathers weighs the same as a pound of lead. The difference is, though, that people don't regularly say that lead is heavier than feather on this forum, whereas people DO say that muscle weighs more that fat on this forum.

Often this is after having done a twenty minute workout DVD and walked the dog. It is highly unlikely that they would have burned fat and replaced it with lean muscle in this situation - why would people go to the bother of doing proper training if a few weeks on SW and a little light movement would do it?!

The people who that point was aimed at will know exactly what Jenny means, it is a common misconception and, pedantry aside, it deserves to stay.

you wont lose weight if you dont eat at least 5 syns a day

wrong! of course you can!

You have to like vegetables to do slimming world, and need your 1/3 speed to lose

again wrong!, it helps keep you full, but not an absolute requirement
The fat takes up more area than the muscle so you can look thinner but weigh the same.

ahh that makes sense, i was lost!

Are you doing lots of gym training? muscle mass is definitely a plus!!
Not much but doing lots of weights etc at home and walking. I ve got a lazy attitude to the gym at the momment ...book on spin kettles circuit all the time but then cancel. Must get back on it.

Not much but doing lots of weights etc at home and walking. I ve got a lazy attitude to the gym at the momment ...book on spin kettles circuit all the time but then cancel. Must get back on it.

Im with you on that! I have a UAT and the idea of the gym sometimes is exhausting enough to send me to bed! haha

im starting from next week! :D Will try get some gym time in!!!

I have been a bit relaxed on eating this week as it was my sons 10th Birthday yesterday, weve just been celebrating all week!

but back to normal next week!!

Free foods are not completely unlimited! You can't eat Mugshots and Muller Lights all day every day, and then be surprised to STS. I'm putting this one up as it seems apt, while I sit trying to force down the last few mouthfuls of my MAHUSIVE pasta carbonara. You still have to exercise portion control, it's just down to your own judgement of when you are 'full' rather than having amounts and weights set out by the plan.
I think that's why they are no longer free foods.

I'm sorry in advance for this rant, but this really annoys me, and I need to set it straight:

"Muscle does not weigh more than fat, 1lb of fat weighs the same as 1lb of muscle"

That's like saying nothing weighs more than anything else. Seriously? OFCOURSE 1lb of muscle will weight the same as 1lb of fat. That's a weight measurement and not a fair comparison. 1lb of feathers will weigh the same as 1lb of steel, does that mean one isn't heavier than the other?

What it DOES show, however is that less - volumewise - is needed in 1lb of muscle, than with 1lb of fat. If you compared 1 cm3 of muscle with 1cm3 of fat, the muscle WOULD weigh more - try it.

SO, if you loose only 1cm3 (as an example) of fat, and gain only 1cm3 of muscle, you WILL be heavier than you were with the fat (albeit ever so slightly).

Now can we stop with this silly statement that they weigh the same?

Cheers

</rant>
I am glad you said this you put it across well. Muscle lb for lb uses less space. Apparently it burns more calories. If this is not correct i apilogise.. Faye C

Back