Common SW misconceptions put right.

Re heating/mashing fruit, i was told that if you limit it to one piece (ie a serving you would eat raw) then you are ok. But I guess if you do this and gain, then stop :)

I have a theory concerning the loss of calories in toast.
Carbs are some form of carbon hydrogen and oxygen, water is 2 of those so you're losing some of the chemicals that could be used to make a calorie. :)
Either that or you're driving off some of the bacteria and micro organisms which would count towards the calories.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

Never been able to get my head round this blending/puree/cooking debate. I just accept S W says its synned and leave it at that, (but still dont understand it) I once made a lovely choc pud with tofu but was told once it is blended it becomes syns even though I only used the same amount of tofu I would use in a savoury meal just on the plate! Grrr and it was lush too!

I wouldn't have thought blended tofu is synned. It's just fruit that is as far as I know. Veg and beans etc are fine blended.

Sent from my Desire HD using MiniMins

Never been able to get my head round this blending/puree/cooking debate. I just accept S W says its synned and leave it at that, (but still dont understand it) I once made a lovely choc pud with tofu but was told once it is blended it becomes syns even though I only used the same amount of tofu I would use in a savoury meal just on the plate! Grrr and it was lush too!

It's to do with the way the body absorbs sugar. Believe it or not there is 'left-handed' and 'right-handed' glucose. The body can only absorb one type, when you blend or cook fruit you changed the 'handedness' of the fruit into the type the body can absorb.

(I'm not an expert, but I believe this to be true)

Natt xx

It's to do with the way the body absorbs sugar. Believe it or not there is 'left-handed' and 'right-handed' glucose. The body can only absorb one type, when you blend or cook fruit you changed the 'handedness' of the fruit into the type the body can absorb.

(I'm not an expert, but I believe this to be true)

Natt xx

Well I never knew that Natt - thanks for insight :)

I wouldn't have thought blended tofu is synned. It's just fruit that is as far as I know. Veg and beans etc are fine blended.

No, the pp was right-blended tofu has a syn value, for the same reason-that it is easy to over consume calories when it's blended-probably also comes under SW's food abuse stuff too x

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

The syns hotline have confirmed that blended tofu is SYN FREE. Tofu is relatively low in calories to fruit and so it would be difficult to eat enough to be considered over consumption. It also does not come under food abuse because blending is an intended use for tofu. Many Asian/vegan puddings have been made using blended tofu for years so it's not something that slimming world members have invented to avoid using syns!

Clareel said:
The syns hotline have confirmed that blended tofu is SYN FREE. Tofu is relatively low in calories to fruit and so it would be difficult to eat enough to be considered over consumption. It also does not come under food abuse because blending is an intended use for tofu. Many Asian/vegan puddings have been made using blended tofu for years so it's not something that slimming world members have invented to avoid using syns!

I was only going by what our consultant told us!!!!

http://www.minimins.com/slimming-world-weight-loss-diary/187905-jos-journey-infinity-beyond.html

There's been so much confusion over this, I can see why people are mixed up about it but my consultant rang the syns hotline and they have confirmed it is free and you only need to syn any cocoa powder etc that you add to it.

They may change their minds again in the future but that is the most recent development as far as i'm aware lol.

x

Welshtigger said:
No, the pp was right-blended tofu has a syn value, for the same reason-that it is easy to over consume calories when it's blended-probably also comes under SW's food abuse stuff too x

Well that's just silly! I can blitz chickpeas for houmous and that's free but not tofu? Hmmmmm

I understand why fruit is synned. I get that one, but not this. *shrug*

Edited because I've read the following posts. Ah, the world is ok again!

fab thread babes im new to the slimming world diet and the info from all you guys are great its really helpful to read the misconceptions and all the little hints and tips ty so much xx

Excellent thread, really helped with some of the confusing stuff and easily made mistakes. No stranger to slimming world and I learnt something new :) Well a few somethings lol

I had some quark to use up so I added 5 strawberries to it and blended it down. Should I have synned the strawberries? I didn't eat any more than I was going too ?

This thread is fab! I do think as a newbie who is going it alone there is alot of learning to do here but there also seems to be an awful lot of knowledgable people here to help out!

"The 1/3 superfree food is important and not optional on EE. The SW guidance says that you must fill 1/3 of your plate with superfree, not that it's better if you do, or you'll have better losses if you do - the 1/3 superfree is an integral part of the EE plan and is the key to making it work."

Sorry to butt in but this isnt actually true. Theres been many debates about this on the off topic sub forum, and people have actually emailed sw to get their official opinion on this.
Its a guide line, not a rule, and they understand that it cant be incorporated into all meals. They just ask that you try to do it for at least one meal a day.
Sorry but Im literally just feeding back what sw have told us.

"The 1/3 superfree food is important and not optional on EE. The SW guidance says that you must fill 1/3 of your plate with superfree, not that it's better if you do, or you'll have better losses if you do - the 1/3 superfree is an integral part of the EE plan and is the key to making it work."

Sorry to butt in but this isnt actually true. Theres been many debates about this on the off topic sub forum, and people have actually emailed sw to get their official opinion on this.
Its a guide line, not a rule, and they understand that it cant be incorporated into all meals. They just ask that you try to do it for at least one meal a day.
Sorry but Im literally just feeding back what sw have told us.
this is what my group leader said at class on tues she said obviously if u can have the 1/3rd s/f ur losses will be better :D

Obviously it's better to have the 1/3 sf than not have it, but it might be a little off putting for newbies to read that it's not optional on the first page!

Back