Common SW misconceptions put right.

Really good. We do have a "common misconceptions" sticky, but a lot of this has become personal opinion! Good to hear the company line on things like Scan Bran cake - I've never heard it be said it becomes syns when cut up and not eaten all at the same time, makes sense to me though!

maybe you need to eat the whole cake, before hand :17729:

really good advice, thanks for posting x

glad to read about the saving syns.. i like to save syns for the weekend so i can enjoy a tipple or two, but then i read how thats advised against and that all syns have to be used every day.. well somtimes i just couldnt fit my syns in . i dont want to be eating for the sake of it which is how i put weight on in the first place !!.. so its nice to know that i can save some syns up and look forward to the weekend and having a treat.. but having little treats during the week to!!

Funnily enough the wks i've saved syns and had 1 night where had lots, i have a better wi than normal x

Funnily enough the wks i've saved syns and had 1 night where had lots, i have a better wi than normal x

Maybe it's because you were more relaxed and chilled out because you knew that you could have a good evening. I do think that your well being affects your weight loss. ie if you are stressed your weight loss might not be so good.

I wouldn't eat one if you paid me!! Cake has to be the real deal :)
But like your thinking!!

hmm know what you mean. A few years ago, before i had child number 3 (and he is nearly 6). A lady I worked with made the best coffee and walnut cake in the world, and she made me a whole one (roses tin size) and me and hubby ate the whole lot in about 3 days. it was yummy.x

Maybe it's because you were more relaxed and chilled out because you knew that you could have a good evening. I do think that your well being affects your weight loss. ie if you are stressed your weight loss might not be so good.

think you may be right.
Cause the weeks i've stressed about wi (behaved 100% and gone ova board on exercise) i have had rubbish losses or sts

This is my lifestyle choice now so you have to live it!

Thanks for sharing xxx

Your body produces something called cortisol when stressed, and that can affect insulin production and effectiveness, which is scientifically known to affect weight loss! So everyone get your chill head on :) xx

Your body produces something called cortisol when stressed, and that can affect insulin production and effectiveness, which is scientifically known to affect weight loss! So everyone get your chill head on :) xx

I was just about to mention cortisol and it's effect on weight. Beat me to it! xx

I am butting in here but I think both cortisol and lack of sleep have a HUGE effect on weight loss. No sleep means poor food choices and more stress. My biggest SW discovery is not a recipe or zumba or gallons of water but 8-9 hours a night means success!!

I am butting in here but I think both cortisol and lack of sleep have a HUGE effect on weight loss. No sleep means poor food choices and more stress. My biggest SW discovery is not a recipe or zumba or gallons of water but 8-9 hours a night means success!!

I agree, I've started a new job and when I'm tired I get massive sugar cravings and have made a few poor food choices when I've been shattered i.e. chocolate. Plus when I've been sleeping, I can't eat ha ha.

Thanks for the info. after going to SW for 3 weeks and only after 2 weight ins losing 3lb I started to think negitive thoughts

speccyblue said:
I agree, I've started a new job and when I'm tired I get massive sugar cravings and have made a few poor food choices when I've been shattered i.e. chocolate. Plus when I've been sleeping, I can't eat ha ha.

I am a poor sleeper from time to time and it deffo effects weight loss,I tend to get up during the night and snack on bad things:-S

Hello! New to the forum, although I've been lurking and read lots of the posts on here for the last month, I've only just joined. Great thread. Been doing SW since oct 5th. Lost about 9 lbs, tho I've been dieting a bit SW since June, lost 18lbs in all. My first week I lost 5lbs, every other were it's been about -1.5, but +0.5 the last 2 weeks. That's not a real gain tho, more to do with stuffing my face on WI day.. Stoopid, but keep having business meetings on WI day and being taken out for lunch! Ha!

Anyhow, read all of this thread, seems I'm confused about 1/3rd rule too.. Eg. I might have a plate of cous cous and chicken for lunch.. But if I don't have salad or veg with it, it's no good?? Really? I wont eat more just cos im not having salad or veg .. Also do I have to have HEXs ? Religiously? I rarely do..
I also don't use my syns very much .. Apart from the odd day where I have 12 in one go on something naughty. I thought free meant free unlimited too... Not unusual to have 3 or 4 muller lights in one day and constant fruit stuffing! I am losing, just slowly. No exercise at all! Thanks! Trish

You are supposed to eat your heX's to get the vital fibre and calcium thats required in your diet. Try not to avoid having them. I personally don't know how you cannot have them... I love my HEs and would have 10 a day if I could, lol

If you are on green or red its not as important to have 1/3rd with every meal but you should on EE. Fills you up and stops you getting the munchies later on... because you are having the carbs and the meat part you NEED to fill out your meal with stuff thats superfree and has less calorie density.

Free is unlimited, until you are full.

I'm of the impression that it seems to be ok to save your syns through the week, you cannot carry over after your weigh in. Its advised not to spend them all the day after wi then have nothing left over for the rest of the week. I dont see anything wrong with saving them for a treat, as long as you spend between the 5-15 over the week!

I mean alls said, if you are losing, and happy at the rate of loss, you could keep doing what you are doing. If not just have a wee think about it. x

This has been a really useful thread to read. I'm relatively new to SW, on my third week, so I'm still adjusting my lifestyle and eating plans. One thing that I read on this thread but didn't seem to get an answer was about casseroles and stews infact a lot of dishes where you add heaps of veg. Does the veg that's in with the meal count towards your 1/3 rule or do you have to have more veg on the side of you plate? Hope that makes sense and someone is able to answer my question. :)

All the veg you eat counts, so if you have at least 1/3 of the meal is veg and in the casserole it counts. :)

Back