Common SW misconceptions put right.

Anyhow, read all of this thread, seems I'm confused about 1/3rd rule too.. Eg. I might have a plate of cous cous and chicken for lunch.. But if I don't have salad or veg with it, it's no good?? Really? I wont eat more just cos im not having salad or veg .. Also do I have to have HEXs ? Religiously? I rarely do..
I also don't use my syns very much .. Apart from the odd day where I have 12 in one go on something naughty. I thought free meant free unlimited too... Not unusual to have 3 or 4 muller lights in one day and constant fruit stuffing! I am losing, just slowly. No exercise at all! Thanks! Trish
If you don't have the fibre from your Hex then you risk slowing your weight loss BUT you shouldn't have more than the Hex amount as this can lead to weight gain.
Free food is unlimited BUT you are told to stop when you feel full. So yes fine to have 4 muller lights a day but don't force down food after you are full. I work in a supermarket and on Christmas eve had a customer say they had come in to buy their Christmas shop but the main thing they needed was 3 boxes of Rennies. They were planning to eat so much the next day that they would feel il. SW don't want you going hungry but they also don't want you to eat so much you feel ill. Hope this clarifies things.

Not sure if this has been said-couldn't see it!!??

But many people think that on sw you eat too much to lose weight. Often people give up if they don't see a big loss in the first couple of weeks and put it down to the plan involving too much food.

I think I was one of those people and was rather disappointed to lose only 1 pound in my first week when I did the plan last year. But I kept at it and enjoyed 2 pounds loss in week 2 and then 2-3 pounds loss for most weeks after.

My friend tried the plan and quit to go to ww because she decided she was eating far too much to be able to lose weight. But with sw you can eat until you're full and people need to give the plan a good 2-3 weeks before they write it off !!

Ok i get on ee you need a third sf foods but i only eat two main meals a day and snack on fruit and today i had a pasta n sauce as a snack is this ok?

On original and green do i still need to have 1/3rd sf?

No it's not obligatory on red/green to have your 1/3rd sf. But I try to anyway - as it fills me up and stops me from even thinking about snacking.

BUT you have to remember to only eat until full. Otherwise you are just eating for the sake of it. And remember if you do snack it should be sf too.

These are 2 of the reasons why some people don't lose well on SW - they forget about this and just keep on eating. Just because a food is classed as sf doesn't mean you have to force it down if you are full. And people often forget to snack on sf - again just because a yoghurt is free you do not have to eat 4 or 5 a day!

Ok i get on ee you need a third sf foods but i only eat two main meals a day and snack on fruit and today i had a pasta n sauce as a snack is this ok?

On original and green do i still need to have 1/3rd sf?

I would be very careful having pasta and sauce as a snack. Most of them have over 500 calories a packet and i know we are not doing calories but would you snack on 10 apples in one sitting ?
It is another misconception that anything can be snacked on and still have good losses. Pasta is a meal

I would be very careful having pasta and sauce as a snack. Most of them have over 500 calories a packet and i know we are not doing calories but would you snack on 10 apples in one sitting ?
It is another misconception that anything can be snacked on and still have good losses. Pasta is a meal

I know your talking about EE days - I have never tried an EE day as I can't be bothered with the worrying about the 1/3rd superfree.
But On Green days on constantly snack on Pasta n Sauce and low fat supernoodles! I have never even looked at the calorie content on them as that is not part of the SW plan after 5 months I am over 4 stone lighter!! (and that incudes the christmas gain!!):eek:

addition...!
and now just to be really argumentative..... I have just checked my pasta n sauces in the cupboard and I have quite a range and there is not a single one over 378Kcal!

Last edited:
I know your talking about EE days - I have never tried an EE day as I can't be bothered with the worrying about the 1/3rd superfree.
But On Green days on constantly snack on Pasta n Sauce and low fat supernoodles! I have never even looked at the calorie content on them as that is not part of the SW plan after 5 months I am over 4 stone lighter!! (and that incudes the christmas gain!!):eek:

addition...!
and now just to be really argumentative..... I have just checked my pasta n sauces in the cupboard and I have quite a range and there is not a single one over 378Kcal!
This doesn't just apply to EE - it is equally applicable to red/green too.

The nearer you get to goal the harder is it to lose as you weigh less and therefore need less to keep your body going. I know SW isn't about calories BUT
The only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you are taking it – create a calorie deficit. There are lots of ways to do this, some not as healthy as others, Slimming World has created a plan to give you a calorie deficit with minimal effort on your part, follow and trust the plan.

This is one of the first things that Natt says on her thread about SW for Newbies. She also links to a couple of other threads at the end of post 1 that are also worth reading. This post isn't just for newbies, it's very useful for oldies too! And I'm not talking age here. :D
I go back and read it every now and then as it helps me remember the rules.

Have you watched the BBC Programme "10 Things you need to know about losing weight" ? If not it is worth a watch, it makes a lot of sense.

One of the things they say is eat foods that are filling - very SW - and showed 7 things that you could have for 300 cals
  • 10 small bits of chocolate
  • Muffin
  • Small Pork Pie
  • Fruit smoothie (1/2 pint)
  • Sandwich
  • Big bowl of fruit
  • Roast chicken with spuds and veg
Now a great, filling 600 cal meal would be the chicken and fruit. Imaging how hungry you would be in say 1 hour if you had the chocky and fruit smoothie? Same calories - less filling so you'll eat more!

When you have lots to lose - like I did when I started - snacking is not a major problem. I still lost weight, albeit relatively slowly. But my last 7 lbs took me 20 weeks to get rid of and I had to eliminate all snacks.

Like Brightonrosie said, I know we're not supposed to count calories but you do just need to be aware that a Pasta n Sauce (even at 378 cals) is not as healthy as eating some fruit! An apple is 75-100 cals and has so much more natural fibre and carbohydrates and is much better for your body. Will fill you up longer than manufactured carbs in things like Pasta n Sauce and is a lot less in calories too.

I mostly do Red/Green as like many others EE just does not work for me. I have no problem with the 1/3 sf (as I said I try to do this on green/red anyway) but I just overeat fullstop. I don't know why - EE just doesn't sit right in my head!

When I started on SW, my body weight meant I could have 2775 cals a day to maintain my weight. At my target weight this was down to 1995 cals to maintain. Those extra 780 cals can make all the difference between maintaining and gaining it all back!

I'm not saying there is anything wrong with instant meals - heaven knows we all have hard busy lives and to cook from fresh all the time is just not realistic. Ping dinners were my lifeline when I was working 12 hour days! But that was one of the reasons I ended up almost 5 stone overweight in the first place.

Sorry about the **rant**. I know newbies may be confused about all the talk of calories - so feel free to ignore all this. Just remember though to snack on fresh food that is superfree where you possibly can.

Hi Pommette
I tried to rep you but wouldn't let me as I have "repped" you recently. The calorie thing is so important towards the end of your slimming journey. Eating just 100 calories more than your body needs = 1 stone weight gain in a year !!!
As for the pasta n sauces most of the nutritional info is for 1 serving and each packet is meant to be 2 servings.

Slimming world do say when you snack your first choice should be superfree! Can't remember where I read that but it was in the starter pack somewhere!! :D

Hi Pommette
I tried to rep you but wouldn't let me as I have "repped" you recently. The calorie thing is so important towards the end of your slimming journey. Eating just 100 calories more than your body needs = 1 stone weight gain in a year !!!
As for the pasta n sauces most of the nutritional info is for 1 serving and each packet is meant to be 2 servings.
Just before I reached target I was struggling with half a pound here and half a pound there, although I always came in with a loss! My c suggested cutting down to 5 syns a day and this helped a lot.

also check out the new healthy extras bit in the magazines. that's how I found out about genius seeded bread as a hexb, but it's not on the site or in my standard orange book yet.

After a few slow weeks have decided to try calorie counting as i have just checked the calories in pasta and Omg no wonder Im not losing! Since i was a teenager ive had a huge appetite i do feel genuinly hungry all the time ive had tests for sugar levels etc so at least with calorie counting i can.take off for exercise which i think is a downside to sw. Downloaded myfitnesspal app!!

Back