Common SW misconceptions put right.

So true i've seen some people at my club who havnt lost much weight but were stuffing themselves full of free food.....(Pasta, Rice, Potatoes) ExtraEasy Everything in moderation...so important.

Damn. I fricking love chickpeas! And all type of pulses!
Chickpeas are free on Green and EE tatabubbly so long as you eat them "as is" and don't start messing around with them and using them as a basis for a cake!

if it has a can of chickpeas in it then it's not half a syn. SW recommend synning the chickpeas at the red day rate for this very reason :)

Ah - but does anyone actually take any notice of this PatchworkPuss?
People will do anything to break the rules if they possibly can. Food abuse is getting more prevalent - and they wouldn't want to admit that they were actually having 25 or so syns!

I dont eat 1/3 superfree with every meal, and managed 1.5 stone in 7 weeks? So im not doing THAT bad?

Some people, myself included, cannot stand vegetables unless there hidden away in a recipe- like in diet coke chicken, for example.

If i have them on a plate with chicken or something- they get covered in FF dressing.

I would say 1/4 of my meals I have 1/3 superfree. I think there are exceptions to the rule if im honest.

Maybe it will slow down when I get smaller- but thats natural

Before you ask- I have been a member on and off for four years

First time I lost 2.5 stone in 3 months doing green, second time I lost a stone in three weeks, third time I lost 1/2 stone in a week but gave up due to life commitments etc and this time as I said, 1.5 stone in 7 weeks and have always done the same since EE was introduced.

Chickpeas are free on Green and EE tatabubbly so long as you eat them "as is" and don't start messing around with them and using them as a basis for a cake!

Ah - but does anyone actually take any notice of this PatchworkPuss?
People will do anything to break the rules if they possibly can. Food abuse is getting more prevalent - and they wouldn't want to admit that they were actually having 25 or so syns!

I was doing the same with the dreaded couscous cake! It technically was about 7.5 syns on a green day and I was wolfing it doen like there was no tomorrow. Have weaned myself off it because as nice as it is, couscous is not something that should really be in a cake - worse luck! x

some really good points thanks all very useful and interesting;-)

Guys - If I sue Chickpeas to make a hummous on EE DO I need to syn because I mashing them down with garlic and stock ?? x

This thread has been so helpful, I've been on SW for over 2 months but reading through this has refreshed my memory so thankyou x

I dont eat 1/3 superfree with every meal, and managed 1.5 stone in 7 weeks? So im not doing THAT bad?

Some people, myself included, cannot stand vegetables unless there hidden away in a recipe- like in diet coke chicken, for example.

If i have them on a plate with chicken or something- they get covered in FF dressing.

I would say 1/4 of my meals I have 1/3 superfree. I think there are exceptions to the rule if im honest.

Maybe it will slow down when I get smaller- but thats natural

Before you ask- I have been a member on and off for four years

First time I lost 2.5 stone in 3 months doing green, second time I lost a stone in three weeks, third time I lost 1/2 stone in a week but gave up due to life commitments etc and this time as I said, 1.5 stone in 7 weeks and have always done the same since EE was introduced.

I agree with alot of this, Slimming World openly state that you do not have to have 1/3 superfree with every meal. Yes i agree it is beneficial however if i have jacket with beans or something similar i was finding myself adding salad for the sake when i dont really like salad in bean juice. Same on good friday i made fish, sw wedges and peas. i ended up with a whole tin of carrots to add superfree. My trouble is if its on my plate i eat it so to me for some meals i am just adding extra calories for the sake. And my consultant agrees!

I agree with alot of this, Slimming World openly state that you do not have to have 1/3 superfree with every meal. Yes i agree it is beneficial however if i have jacket with beans or something similar i was finding myself adding salad for the sake when i dont really like salad in bean juice. Same on good friday i made fish, sw wedges and peas. i ended up with a whole tin of carrots to add superfree. My trouble is if its on my plate i eat it so to me for some meals i am just adding extra calories for the sake. And my consultant agrees!

Makes much more sense to snack on some fruit if you get peckish doesn't it. I agree with u no need to add extra stuff on your plate when you're just forcing it down

Ladies - just stand back from this a sec please.

The whole point of having a 1/3 superfree is to make sure you get a balance of foods in your diet so that you get the right nutrients.
The superfree is there to help your stay full for longer without adding too many extra calories.

You shouldn't be ADDING the 1/3 to your plate AFTER you've dumped everything else on there. It should be an integral part of the meal.
By that I mean, work out how much you want to eat and START by putting a 1/3 superfree on your plate.
Now if that means cutting back on what else there is on your plate that is the obvious way to go.
As you say, don't eat it just for the sake of it. INCORPORATE it into the quantity you need to eat.

You need those nutrients girlies. And it's better imo to have them with your meal than to maybe snack on them later.

Some people can lose weight even when cheating slightly. I know I did when I first started . . . but then again I had quite a lot to lose so it was much easier.

The nearer you get to target, the more difficult you will find it. But by following the plan you can do it and maintain afterwards.
I maintained in the middle of my weight loss program for almost 3 years and I'm maintaining again now by sticking to the rules and having lots of superfree with my meals rather than snacking on them.

Just my opinion - I'm here to be shot down if I have this totally wrong.

Last edited:
Makes much more sense to snack on some fruit if you get peckish doesn't it. I agree with u no need to add extra stuff on your plate when you're just forcing it down

Defo!! :) gonna make an extra effort this week when i dont put in on my plate i will have fruit BEFORE or some soup to reduce my huge portions haha and im gona get a smaller plate

Defo!! :) gonna make an extra effort this week when i dont put in on my plate i will have fruit BEFORE or some soup to reduce my huge portions haha and im gona get a smaller plate
Great idea jaxmummy. I'm a big soup fan!
I have a bowl every lunch time followed by a big bowl of fruit! Totally superfree lunch and I am never hungry in the afternoons.

My aunty is making me some soup tomorrow. She's been to sainsburys and got loads of reduced veg so gonna chop it up and bung it in with a beef oxo. Hope its nice lol we're planning on doing some different soups aswell loads of recipes on here for me to try

jaxmummy said:

I completely agree with u! I try and have 1/3 with my meals or hidden in my meals but like u, I am mostly just adding calories!

I dont want to seem stupid :p

how exactly do you know if your getting you 1/3 superfree foods? :confused:

like do i have to weigh my whole dinner?
Im new to SW and just a bit confused to starting off:help2:

When you dish up your plate a 1/3 of your plate need to be superfree foods minimum. You can eat a 100% superfree meal if you like. The more superfree you eat, the quicker you will loose weight.

I dont want to seem stupid :p

how exactly do you know if your getting you 1/3 superfree foods? :confused:

like do i have to weigh my whole dinner?
Im new to SW and just a bit confused to starting off:help2:

Nooooo lol don't weigh your food man, just try to have some veggies with your meal or even fruit afterwards if you prefer. I sometimes like deserts so a bit of fruit after my lunch, fruit and yogurt for breakfast, does the job. Mostly have veg with my tea though. Like last night made a curry, had the leftovers for lunch today but I put loads of peppers, mushrooms and onions in it so in that I had my superfree.

Just try to eat fruit and veg with every meal, but don't obsess about it. I don't, and managed to lose 8lb in 2 weeks. I say I don't obsess about it but 9 times out of 10 I do have my superfree with meals. Its not that hard if you actually like fruit and veg

Great thread ladies and gents ,thanks x

Was definitely glad to read the one about losing lots in the first week... everyone I know who's done slimming world has lost like 6-11lb in week one.. I weighed today and only lost 2, was pretty disappointed until I read this, thought I might have been doing something wrong! :)

Back