Common SW misconceptions put right.

We are encouraged to have a minimum of 10 Speed foods a day, I sometimes have 3 or 4 types of fruit for breakfast.
I don't agree with all these cakes made from purified chick peas etc either, consultants aren't consistent about it, is there not anything from SW themselves about it. If I want cake I have proper cake and syn it, some people are making these and eating the whole thing.

I'm with you on this SWS Chrissy!
As far as I am concerned things like chick-pea cake, ½ syn roulade etc are just a FUDGE of the rules.
There was lots of talk on several other threads that things like this should be classed as food abuse.
They may well be made of low syn or free foods but you are deceiving yourself that they're free.

They're not!

They still contain calories and at the end of the day the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you actually eat.

Yes I know SW isn't about counting calories but you do just have to be a tad careful.

Fantastic thread ,Some very good information I started Monday so learning something new everyday certainly bookmarking this thread to keep me on track .

I'm with you on this SWS Chrissy!
As far as I am concerned things like chick-pea cake, ½ syn roulade etc are just a FUDGE of the rules.
There was lots of talk on several other threads that things like this should be classed as food abuse.
They may well be made of low syn or free foods but you are deceiving yourself that they're free.

They're not!

They still contain calories and at the end of the day the only way to lose weight is to burn more calories than you actually eat.

Yes I know SW isn't about counting calories but you do just have to be a tad careful.
Since I joined I can't believe the amount of recipes that involve vast quantities of eggs and sugar subs and some bizarre flour substitute. Even though SW does not calorie count - the basis of the plan has to have calories formulated into the basic make up. I'd rather have proper cake, proper syns and not try to fool anyone. At the end of the day, it's my weight loss that is in jeopardy no one elses.
Back in the 80's my nan used to make a chocolate mash potato cake and a chocolate mayo cake - so the idea has been around for a long time. But no one ever advocated it for weight loss!

Fantastic thread! Thanks for all the tips!

Fab thread, especially for an about to start ( Monday !) newbie. Thanks.

Since I joined I can't believe the amount of recipes that involve vast quantities of eggs and sugar subs and some bizarre flour substitute. Even though SW does not calorie count - the basis of the plan has to have calories formulated into the basic make up. I'd rather have proper cake, proper syns and not try to fool anyone. At the end of the day, it's my weight loss that is in jeopardy no one elses.
Back in the 80's my nan used to make a chocolate mash potato cake and a chocolate mayo cake - so the idea has been around for a long time. But no one ever advocated it for weight loss!
I'd much rather have 'real' cake and count the syns too, but chocolate mash potato cake has me very intrigued...:)

I always used to have couscous cake and lasagne doritos when I first did SW about 4 or 5 years ago. So they definitely now have to be synned?

It's classed as a 'tweak' because free foods aren't being used as intended. Ie lasgnage crisps -lasagne sheets should be part pf a main meal, with veg, tomatoes, salad, meat etc and prob only 1/2 sheets per portion. When making crisps with them, you could eat a whole packet with no super free foods. However, the statement on the Sw website is if your happy with your weight loss it's fine but to be aware of it. :) xx

Contrary to popular belief ( or even what the book says ), fruit is not limitless. ( or rather shouldn't be. )

If you have 10 apples a day then that's around 800 calories.
5 medium bananas is about 500 calories.

So while it IS superfree, try to limit your intake to. 2-3 pieces of fruit a day max.

Don't eat it for the sake of eating it just because it's convenient.
Only eat it if you want it.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

2-3 pieces really? i have a lot more than that, this thread scares me, makes it feel i should be treating it more like a calorie counting diet

Mine would be making a dessert that is sw friendly that contains no or few syns, thinking that this is great and you can eat the lot lol!!
For example, the half a syn roulade, if you add the calories together of the 4 eggs, tub of quark, fruit and sweetner it comes to about 800 calories for the whole thing!! slimming world friendly or not, eating half or all of that will do you no favours!! So portion control is still key.
So would you suggest synning it higher? or not eating these cakes at all??

Contrary to popular belief ( or even what the book says ), fruit is not limitless. ( or rather shouldn't be. )

If you have 10 apples a day then that's around 800 calories.
5 medium bananas is about 500 calories.

So while it IS superfree, try to limit your intake to. 2-3 pieces of fruit a day max.

Don't eat it for the sake of eating it just because it's convenient.
Only eat it if you want it.

Sent from my iPod touch using MiniMins

First of all, fantastic weight loss!! Well done!!
However, telling people to limit fruit to 2-3 pieces a day just isnt fair. Some people eat 4 different kinds of fruit within their breakfast, and enjoy it and stay full until lunchtime. There are also alot of SS fruits that are widely reccommended by SW, who also use a statement in their books along the lines of; eat your 5 day, but more is better! This includes vegatables AND fruit. Aslong as you stop eating when youre full up, then youre following the SW rules. ...and really. Who eats 10 apples or 5 bananas a day, hardly an appropriate example.

So would you suggest synning it higher? or not eating these cakes at all??

Becky, just be aware that the cakes like 1/2 syn roulade still contain calories, even though they have a low syn value. You wouldnt eat a whole 800 calorie cake otherwise and feel happy about it (maybe you would, im assuming, lol!) :p Anyway, dont eat these cakes and feel like its ok and youve only eaten half a syn, have a slice and enjoy :) or have a slice of normal cake and syn it, whichever works best for you :) x

Back