Common SW misconceptions put right.

Also Becky, the joy of SW is that we dont CC! Follow the plan and trust it. x

This whole fruit thing worries me. As a veggie on red days (due to not losing anything on green for 6 months) my food choices are already limited - especially with snacks.

Yesterday was a typical day in terms of fruit consumption.

Mango
Banana
Apple
Nectarine
Pineapple
Strawberries

My losses on red have been better - 5lb in a month - but I wonder if my fruit intake is an issue? I do eat raw carrots on a dail basis as well but wonder whether I ought replace some of the fruit ith more raw veg. I have reduced my banana consumption to two or three a week instead of every day.Not something I want to do as It will make me feel like I'm on a diet.

Oh one other thing - I followed SW for a week as normal and tracked every single calorie as an experiment. I ate as normal pasta n sauces, boiled rice (and not a shot glass worth a proper amount) salads, steak, chicken, potato bakes, chilli, baked beans etc., as well as my A's B's and 15 syns and was suprised that I'd only averaged 1400 a day. I did then take advantage of this in a bad way and for 2 weeks continued going to SW, but only sort of followed the plan. I thought oh I've had my HEx's and syns but I have still got 600 calories and still be under my limit for the day so I'll have a dairy milk. This was a slippery slope that turned into me paying for SW, but doing CCing. Then I'd think oh I can eat whatever (junk) as long as I'm within the calories and it'd get to tea time and I'd have 200 calories left for tea. Luckily this only lasted 2 weeks when I thought 1. this is too much effort, 2. I don't like this, I like SW and 3. I felt like cr*p, I wasn't getting the nutrients I needed.

I think there is too much on calories, just follow the plan - steps 1, 2 and 3 and trust it works.

Sorry for the rant - just an opinion

Natt xx

I totally agree with this, although, i am finding it very hard to do the 1/3 thing, as i don't like salad and some things just don't go with veg....syn free bacon burger and chips...where do you put the veg exactly?

I only joined SW last week and our SWC told us that you could eat as much free food as you liked (but it didn't ring true to me so have tried to go down the "only eat when you are hungry" route, but i've never had a big appetite and only ever eaten one meal a day (i am, however, the munchie queen of chocolate town, and the evenings when DH gets home and we watch movies etc is when my reign begins lol)

After a long time using Spark People and Fitness Pal, i find it very hard to not count my calories, as it's such an ingrained habit now (to be fair, i only enter them all and count them the next day so that it doesn't sway me, but i like to know where i am at) but only eating when hungry and using 10 syns (curly wurly 6, highlights with spray cream and mini marshmallows 4 :D
) i'm finding most days i eat less than 1000 calories...but have still not lost anything this week?? How does that work?

Anyhoo...enough of my waffling...sorry folks *crawls back under the table* :p

I totally agree with this, although, i am finding it very hard to do the 1/3 thing, as i don't like salad and some things just don't go with veg....syn free bacon burger and chips...where do you put the veg exactly?

I only joined SW last week and our SWC told us that you could eat as much free food as you liked (but it didn't ring true to me so have tried to go down the "only eat when you are hungry" route, but i've never had a big appetite and only ever eaten one meal a day (i am, however, the munchie queen of chocolate town, and the evenings when DH gets home and we watch movies etc is when my reign begins lol)

After a long time using Spark People and Fitness Pal, i find it very hard to not count my calories, as it's such an ingrained habit now (to be fair, i only enter them all and count them the next day so that it doesn't sway me, but i like to know where i am at) but only eating when hungry and using 10 syns (curly wurly 6, highlights with spray cream and mini marshmallows 4 :D
) i'm finding most days i eat less than 1000 calories...but have still not lost anything this week?? How does that work?

Anyhoo...enough of my waffling...sorry folks *crawls back under the table* :p

In the bacon burger why don't you grill a tomato, and fry some mushrooms and onions?? Then you're getting some superfree in there.

As for not losing, you say you're only consuming about 1000cals, there's your answer. When you don't eat enough calories for your body to function it starts storing fat. Try eating a little more, do you eat lunch and breakfast aswell as your dinner? Because you only mention dinner and your evening snack. So your metabolism isn't getting a start, then you're eating your evening meal so your body is probably storing the food that you are giving it! Try eating a little more free/superfree and see if your losses start speeding up

In the bacon burger why don't you grill a tomato, and fry some mushrooms and onions?? Then you're getting some superfree in there.

As for not losing, you say you're only consuming about 1000cals, there's your answer. When you don't eat enough calories for your body to function it starts storing fat. Try eating a little more, do you eat lunch and breakfast aswell as your dinner? Because you only mention dinner and your evening snack. So your metabolism isn't getting a start, then you're eating your evening meal so your body is probably storing the food that you are giving it! Try eating a little more free/superfree and see if your losses start speeding up

I have onions actually in the burgers when i make them, but as i said i don't like salad, try periodically (do the same with wine :p
) but i just don't like it.
I do eat a fair amount of fruit, and i like some veg but it's more the kind you would have with a roast (carrots, peas, cabbage, brussels)
I have only been eating one meal because everyone says to eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full, and as i don't get hungry until about 4pm, thats when i eat, and it keeps me full for the rest of the night.
I'm not, not eating to save calories, i just never have had 3 meals a day, ever, i gained all my weight from being a lazy mare and having munchies in the evening...
I try and have at least a banana in the morning, as i have medications that require being taken with food, but other than that, i don't tend to have anything until late afternoon/early evening.

I know i can do it, as i have lost 4st before a few years ago for my wedding, unfortunately it's come back over the last 3.5 years...when i lost that, i did cut my calories down to 1200 and it took me 6 months, but i never learned anything from it which is more than likely why i gained it all back again.

Sooo.....should i eat when i'm not hungry then? That seems a little backwards to me, i understand where you are coming from though, in general, those of us who are overweight, are so because we have over-indulged (don't get me wrong, i have too, massively, or i wouldn't be here), but as i said, my downfall has always been snacking in the evening, i've always had "proper" dinners as it were.

Thank you for your reply though :)

I eat a lot of fruit. I have it before or after most meals and its a large component of my breakfast (melon, strawberry, pineapple, mango), also i tend to snack on it, i get through about 5-6 portions of fruit and the same if not more of veg daily, not really had a problem with my losses recently if anything it helps. As instead of picking up something which has a high fat content, has very little nutritional value and is sweet, I'll pick up a apple, few slices of melon, some berries and munch on those instead. I suppose we all work different, but fruit for me is a great thing and really helps :). I dont tend to eat nannaas, mainly cos they make me feel a little sick!

I eat a lot of fruit. I have it before or after most meals and its a large component of my breakfast (melon, strawberry, pineapple, mango), also i tend to snack on it, i get through about 5-6 portions of fruit and the same if not more of veg daily, not really had a problem with my losses recently if anything it helps. As instead of picking up something which has a high fat content, has very little nutritional value and is sweet, I'll pick up a apple, few slices of melon, some berries and munch on those instead. I suppose we all work different, but fruit for me is a great thing and really helps :). I dont tend to eat nannaas, mainly cos they make me feel a little sick!

Hellooo :)

I do eat alot more fruit than i do veg if i'm honest, must be my sweet tooth! 3st lost is fab, well done you :superwoman:
I did listen to the comment above also, i just made myself 30g Shreddies so there's my Healthy B and 250ml for my Healthy A and i have some left for a cuppa :)

Just hoping to get to where i want to be, as quickly but healthily as possible as i want to not gain it all back again! That would be great.

Going to have jacket potato with beans for my dinner, could i just have some fruit beforehand (like a starter) instead of salad as my 1/3...does that count do you know? x

I have onions actually in the burgers when i make them, but as i said i don't like salad, try periodically (do the same with wine :p
) but i just don't like it.
I do eat a fair amount of fruit, and i like some veg but it's more the kind you would have with a roast (carrots, peas, cabbage, brussels)
I have only been eating one meal because everyone says to eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full, and as i don't get hungry until about 4pm, thats when i eat, and it keeps me full for the rest of the night.
I'm not, not eating to save calories, i just never have had 3 meals a day, ever, i gained all my weight from being a lazy mare and having munchies in the evening...
I try and have at least a banana in the morning, as i have medications that require being taken with food, but other than that, i don't tend to have anything until late afternoon/early evening.

I know i can do it, as i have lost 4st before a few years ago for my wedding, unfortunately it's come back over the last 3.5 years...when i lost that, i did cut my calories down to 1200 and it took me 6 months, but i never learned anything from it which is more than likely why i gained it all back again.

Sooo.....should i eat when i'm not hungry then? That seems a little backwards to me, i understand where you are coming from though, in general, those of us who are overweight, are so because we have over-indulged (don't get me wrong, i have too, massively, or i wouldn't be here), but as i said, my downfall has always been snacking in the evening, i've always had "proper" dinners as it were.

Thank you for your reply though :)
I just think eating only 1000 cals a day is the thing that's affecting your losses. As apart from that you are eating all the right things. I understand where you are coming from as you arnt hungry but I just remember one episode of the biggest loser (hate the programme so don't watch much of it lol) where one group had not eaten enough, theyed eaten less than 1000 cals a day as they hadn't been wanting more and that week, they didn't lose anything!! So its the science of our bodies and that old rule that you've got to actually eat to lose weigh. 1500 cals is where an average person with a couple of stone to lose needs to be to lose any weight

=pixie-gem;5476266]Hellooo :)

I do eat alot more fruit than i do veg if i'm honest, must be my sweet tooth! 3st lost is fab, well done you :superwoman:
I did listen to the comment above also, i just made myself 30g Shreddies so there's my Healthy B and 250ml for my Healthy A and i have some left for a cuppa :)

Just hoping to get to where i want to be, as quickly but healthily as possible as i want to not gain it all back again! That would be great.

Going to have jacket potato with beans for my dinner, could i just have some fruit beforehand (like a starter) instead of salad as my 1/3...does that count do you know? x

The healthy extras are important they add another 240 cals on top of what you have :)

I admit I do sometimes have a piece of fruit before a meal if there's no room for superfree in it, especially at lunch if I'm only having a mugshot. But normally my dinners usually have superfrees included. Why don't you follow green/red if you struggle to get superfrees in? I do a bit of green and sometimes have chips and beans with something and not worry about the superfree part

I just think eating only 1000 cals a day is the thing that's affecting your losses. As apart from that you are eating all the right things. I understand where you are coming from as you arnt hungry but I just remember one episode of the biggest loser (hate the programme so don't watch much of it lol) where one group had not eaten enough, theyed eaten less than 1000 cals a day as they hadn't been wanting more and that week, they didn't lose anything!! So its the science of our bodies and that old rule that you've got to actually eat to lose weigh. 1500 cals is where an average person with a couple of stone to lose needs to be to lose any weight

The healthy extras are important they add another 240 cals on top of what you have :)

I admit I do sometimes have a piece of fruit before a meal if there's no room for superfree in it, especially at lunch if I'm only having a mugshot. But normally my dinners usually have superfrees included. Why don't you follow green/red if you struggle to get superfrees in? I do a bit of green and sometimes have chips and beans with something and not worry about the superfree part

I was thinking about the Red/Green days plan, as i can quite offten not have meat, but i have no idea, how it works or anything, my SWC just said to do EE and didn't even go into the alternative, i will stick to it this week, weigh in is on Monday so i will ask her then if she could explain it to me x

I was thinking about the Red/Green days plan, as i can quite offten not have meat, but i have no idea, how it works or anything, my SWC just said to do EE and didn't even go into the alternative, i will stick to it this week, weigh in is on Monday so i will ask her then if she could explain it to me x

Consultants tend to promote only EE, I know they've got to promote it but maybe they just find it easier to explain just the one plan aswell lol I just tried green days off my own back, advice on here is great and on the slimming world website they have green day menus. The current issue of the magazine also has red/green day menus for a full week to give u ideas also extra healthy extras!! So you could have your cereal for breakfast and then a sandwhich for lunch or a roll with your evening meal. Love the green plan I found I wasn't eating much meat on the extra easy days that's why I started doing mostly green and its still working I've lost 2st 10 1/2lbs

Consultants tend to promote only EE, I know they've got to promote it but maybe they just find it easier to explain just the one plan aswell lol I just tried green days off my own back, advice on here is great and on the slimming world website they have green day menus. The current issue of the magazine also has red/green day menus for a full week to give u ideas also extra healthy extras!! So you could have your cereal for breakfast and then a sandwhich for lunch or a roll with your evening meal. Love the green plan I found I wasn't eating much meat on the extra easy days that's why I started doing mostly green and its still working I've lost 2st 10 1/2lbs

That's brill, Congrats :-D :-D x

I will have a read up tomorrow on red/green :)

Last edited:
Hello all,

I have read all of the posts here and found most of them really helpful. I do have a question though and hope you will be able to help. I am doing SW on my own as I can't afford to go to class - I WI each week same time etc and I have bought some SW recipe books to help me out.

I have never been able to get my head around what 1/3 superfree meant but this has explained it well (so thank you). I love vegetables and salad so this isn't a problem for me at all. What I struggle with are managing my portions of the free food - pasta, rice, potato etc. I think I am having too much sometimes and want to cut it down. How do I know what an average 'portion' should be? Is it something like 100g? Or is it more complicated to work out?

I follow the EE plan as it was the easiest one for someone to explain to me. I don't really know what Red and Green days involve. My loss has stalled big time so I think cutting down my portions (smaller plate) will help but I also want to try doing red/green sometimes too. Can anyone give me a really brief description of what I can and can't have on those?

For the person wanting to know what veg to put with her burgers, onions and mushrooms is a great idea but you could also try sweetcorn and peas mixed together....we always used to have those when we had burgers and chips, fish and chips etc when I was a kid. :)

You all seem really clued up so thanks for this advice x

Hi :)
Just so you know sweetcorn and peas arent superfree...theyre free food :)
Your portion control on EE is your own appetite...get plenty of superfree on your plate aswell as free food and stop when youre full, simple :) no measuring needed.
Dont have any tips for red/green as ive never bothered, but lots of people do so im sure someone will bob along to advise on that :)

Please someone help me, I am 22 and half stone and following the slimming world plan have lost so far 3stone, hoever just lately i stay the same or only lose half a pound, I very rarely eat sins and certainly never more than around 4.I have a large appetitie (hence getting over weight in the first instance) I have weetabix with fruit and yoghurt in the morning, lunch is salad or several pieces of fruit, in the evening I do like a fairly big meal, lean meat with salad or veg plain boiled potatoes, I am getting very disheartened as there is another girl much smaller than me who consistently loses 2pound plus a week, I truly am feeling desperate please please any ideas. Someday x

Please someone help me, I am 22 and half stone and following the slimming world plan have lost so far 3stone, hoever just lately i stay the same or only lose half a pound, I very rarely eat sins and certainly never more than around 4.I have a large appetitie (hence getting over weight in the first instance) I have weetabix with fruit and yoghurt in the morning, lunch is salad or several pieces of fruit, in the evening I do like a fairly big meal, lean meat with salad or veg plain boiled potatoes, I am getting very disheartened as there is another girl much smaller than me who consistently loses 2pound plus a week, I truly am feeling desperate please please any ideas. Someday x

Sounds to me like you're not eating enough hun, I know it sounds silly, but even though you're dieting, you need to make sure you're consuming enough calories for your body to function, otherwise it will just hold on to what you have instead of use it up. Add a jacket potato to your salad, make sure you're using all your healthy extras, and your syns too. I know it's hard to make yourself do, i struggle with the thought of eating so much when i'm trying to lose weight too (and i have to have 4 HEA and 4 HEB's each day because i'm breastfeeding!) and you should start losing again hun. xx

Congratulations on your 3st loss!!! Fab!!! Im aiming for that to eventually :)
Please dont feel desperate, half a lb a week is 2st in a year, it still counts!
Have you spoken to your C about your concerns? Do you keep a food diary?x

Someday said:

Hi someday. Well done on such a great loss. I really think you need to increase your syns. For some v strange reason I lose more on the weeks where I have 10 - 15 syns a day. There have been plenty of weeks where I thought I was being extra 'good' and only had 0-5 syns per day & I either lost nothing or gained!! We're told in our SW book to eat 5-15 syns per day so aim for that for a couple of weeks & see if it has any impact. Most importantly don't give up. You'll get there. x

Hiya hun I agree with others, looks like you're not eating enough!! Salad or fruit for lunch doesn't sound like a lot could you add some meat to the salad or I like to have 2 boiled eggs with mine?? Extra protein. Also I can't find a healthy extra a choice in your diary? Are you having it??

You can post food diarys on this forum, they really help me, you could start doing one and we can see if you're going wrong any where?? Well done on the 3st though, that's fab ! X

When I make burgers I make up a big batch of coleslaw to serve with them, which really helps to get the SuperFree in there. It's really easy to make and completely Free. Grate half a white cabbage and one carrot, and roughly chop an onion. Mix together with as much fat free natural yogurt as you like, and voi la! As simple as that. You could also add a dollop of Quark to it to make it a bit richer, or a healthy A of grated cheese to make a really tasty cheesey coleslaw :drool: Perfect for burgers!

I also like to make a tomato relish/salsa to top the burgers with. Again, it's really easy to make and all SuperFree foods. To half a tin of chopped tomatoes add 1 chopped red onion, one chopped red pepper, a sprinkle of garlic salt and as much chopped chilli as you like!

Two really easy ways to make sure you're getting your SuperFree :)

What a great thread, thanks to all who have contributed. I'm on my second week of SW and this has made things a lot clearer.

Thanks again!!

Back