Complaint

Emma_2008

Gold Member
Hiya,

I would like to make a complaint about my supervisor at work, but, before i do, i would like to make sure i have enough to back it up/am doing the right thing/am not going to end up in a worse situation.

Is this anybodys forte? Long shot here before i explain the whole story, i just could do with talking to someone who could help with my questions and give me their opinion.

Thanks in advance!

I can't offer practical advise, just sympathy and support.

My manager at work is the pits. She had all her staff removed from her (because of a lack of people skills) and we were turfed to other managers. Unfortunately work changes put me back to her this week.

It was the unhappiest week of my life. The thing is, it's a personality clash type thing and I have no "proper" grounds for complaint. I've got to suck it and see for a bit and hope she's improved since the last time she managed me.

Good luck with your situation :)

It’s not really my bent but I was a manager for 9 years and both supported staff with grievances’ and had to discipline staff during that time.

Before any complaint/grievance you need to make sure that you can evidence it.
So you would need any supervision notes, relevant emails, texts, other people’s testimonials’, records or you trying to rectify the situation before hand, evidence of how the treatment/situation has impacted on you. For instance has it made you ill – did you see your GP about it? Has your work deteriorated and can it be linked to stress brought on by the situation.

I know it sounds like a lot of hard work but you really need to be able to show any impact.

Are you in a union? Don’t act on it without a union rep or a friend or family member present. Be very careful about anything you put in writing.
Try not to make it personal (us women have a tendency to do that) be factual and honest.
Also think about what outcome you want – make sure that it is realistic and that you can live with it.
Sorry to drone on.

Most importantly look after yourself – gather people who you can trust and will offer support around you.

Wishing you lots of luck.

Aislinn x

Agree with all above - you need to ensure you thoroughly read your internal grievance policy then gather all your facts, leave out emotion, stick with the facts and ensure you have evidence to back it all up. Keep copies of everything, if they are on e-mail print them off and store them safely, don't rely on conjecture - facts all the way

we've had something similar happen at work. Aislin is right, you need to be objective and make sure you can evidence why you feel you want to raise a greivance.

i wish you luck - it's not a nice thing to be going through.

xxx

Im quite curious.. but i could only offer and opinion

I can't offer practical advise, just sympathy and support.

My manager at work is the pits. She had all her staff removed from her (because of a lack of people skills) and we were turfed to other managers. Unfortunately work changes put me back to her this week.

It was the unhappiest week of my life. The thing is, it's a personality clash type thing and I have no "proper" grounds for complaint. I've got to suck it and see for a bit and hope she's improved since the last time she managed me.

Good luck with your situation :)

It’s not really my bent but I was a manager for 9 years and both supported staff with grievances’ and had to discipline staff during that time.

Before any complaint/grievance you need to make sure that you can evidence it.
So you would need any supervision notes, relevant emails, texts, other people’s testimonials’, records or you trying to rectify the situation before hand, evidence of how the treatment/situation has impacted on you. For instance has it made you ill – did you see your GP about it? Has your work deteriorated and can it be linked to stress brought on by the situation.

I know it sounds like a lot of hard work but you really need to be able to show any impact.

Are you in a union? Don’t act on it without a union rep or a friend or family member present. Be very careful about anything you put in writing.
Try not to make it personal (us women have a tendency to do that) be factual and honest.
Also think about what outcome you want – make sure that it is realistic and that you can live with it.
Sorry to drone on.

Most importantly look after yourself – gather people who you can trust and will offer support around you.

Wishing you lots of luck.

Aislinn x

It's not easy to advise without knowing the details.

Agree with all above - you need to ensure you thoroughly read your internal grievance policy then gather all your facts, leave out emotion, stick with the facts and ensure you have evidence to back it all up. Keep copies of everything, if they are on e-mail print them off and store them safely, don't rely on conjecture - facts all the way

we've had something similar happen at work. Aislin is right, you need to be objective and make sure you can evidence why you feel you want to raise a greivance.

i wish you luck - it's not a nice thing to be going through.

xxx

Thank you all.

Its quite tricky to explain. Firstly, i work within the Army. I do admin work and have a Military line manager and a boss but my supervisor (the one who i wanted to make a complaint about) is the supervisor of the contracted company i work for. She is civilian.

There have been a lot of things she has said to me that i dont see as appropriate and sometimes i think she is a bit rude to me. Perhaps its just that my previous supervisor was more compassionate for example.
I was signed off sick for a few weeks back in November last year as i had a virus and doctors could not figure out what was wrong. My work took £700 out of my wages as our contract is something like 2 weeks and i think the illness was for 6 weeks in total. My old supervisor would have tried her damnest to find another solution because i was left with £200 to live on for the month (plus £200 SSP) when my rent alone was £200.

All my new supervisor said was "borrow off your mum, we cant do anything. Thats life" and basically refused to try and help. I had to contact HR myself and when i did, the HR contact tried to help me out.

I had a work with my military boss and he went and spoke to my supervisor because Friday before last she literally reduced me to tears. I'm hoping things change now as i dont think i have enough ot make a complaint along with other peoples evidence too.

Last time i spoke to her, she wasnt her usual snappy self so hopefully it is changing for the better.

Thank you for your kind replies :)

Back