Complete stop in weight loss

tictac

Have lost a stone in a month and now completely plateaued and feeling really fed up. Only lost a 1lb last week and feel this week will be about the same. Am not doing anything wrong so please need some encouragement as I really thought this whole process would be quite quick. Appreciate any ideas or support!

Don't panic!
I have read things around the site that:
1) The weight loss may not be visible in numbers on the scale, but in inches! Do you feel your clothes are getting a little looser, do you feel more energetic?
2) Water retention: fat cells that have lost fat, may fill up with water and you can appear to have no loss at all; but in fact with a little patience those little fat cells will bugger off in some time!
3) Could there be other factors like TOTM, or drinking water before a meeting?

Plateauing is normal, don't get stressed out about it because your body is adjusting to the change. Plus, 1 pound is an ACHIEVEMENT. Dont let yourself think anything different.

The All-Powerful and Wise KD once wrote the following about a pound loss and how we can become discouraged because of it.

--

Hello, do you know me?
If you don't you should. I'm a pound of fat, and I'm the happiest pound of fat that you would ever want to meet. Want to know why?

It's because no one ever wants to lose me; I'm Only One Pound, just a pound. Everyone wants to lose three pounds, five pounds or fifteen pounds, but never only one, so I just stick around and happily keep you fat.

Then I add to myself ever so slyly so that you never seem to notice it, that is until I've grown to ten, twenty or even more pounds in weight. Yes, it's fun being Only One Pound of fat, left to do as I please.

So, when you weigh in, keep right on saying "Oh, I only lost one pound." (as if that were such a terrible thing!)

For you see, if you do this you'll encourage others to keep me around because they will think I'm not worth losing. And I love being around you - your arms, your legs, your chin, your hips and every part of you. Happy Days!!

After all, I'm Only One Pound of fat!!!

-- ~KD.

Hope this helps.

Minerva. x

Hi Minerva

Thanks for posting that, one of the few gems I had not yet come across! And so very true, especially as like you I am near goal so those "only a pound" losses will probably start to become quite frequent.

xxx

Last edited:
Aargh - was feeling cheered up after your kind comments. Then got weighed again today and only lost a 1lb again. Counsellor said it was almost unheard of to only lose 1lb for 2 weeks which set me back again. Is it really unusual for this to happen. I know its LLL so the weight loss must be a bit slower than the main LL diet.

Tictac!
When I was doing the normal Lighter Life program, there was a lady in my group who consistently pretty much lost 1lb per week, for the WHOLE of Foundation (14 weeks!). It's just the way some people are, I'm a slow loser too, I don't have 3-4lbs losses, only 1's or 2's per week. She was 54, I am 22.

It's just how some people are, don't rush it, just take it one week at a time, are you in a terrific hurry? I'm amazed every week even if I've lost 1, or 0.5 because I know it's one step closer to where I want to be.
I'm just thankful to be given the chance to re-evaluate where my life will go, and how I can help myself get to a healthier, happier me. It doesn't matter if it will take me extra few weeks, I mean, that's all it is really... In the perspective of time: a lifetime, and a couple of months... well.

Don't be discouraged. It's all worth it. The extra few weeks will help you get into a healtier pattern for the long term. ... at least in my opinion. :)

Thanks so much Minerva I really needed to hear that it was all OK and that I wasn't some freak who just couldn't lose masses every week. I think sometimes with these quick loss diets the expectations are so high that if you dont hit the bar you are almost made to feel a failure. I have lost weight every week and that is a big plus. Its all a step in the right direction and thats fine for me.

Thanks so much for your support - was really low earlier.

Back