concerned about hair loss.....

ginger&proud

Hiya,

i have been doing exante ts 100% for nearly 4 months and have lost over 3 stone which I am pleased with ....

however the last few weeks I am really losing a lot of hair each day. even my husband has noticed how much is coming out.

I did have very thick hair to begin with so to a stranger they probably wouldnt notice, but I can. It feels much thinner when i put it in a pony tail and i can start to see scalp where before u could never see any scalp.

i am not a vain person but dont want to be a baldie even if it is a thin baldie!

ive been to holland and barret , they gave me sea kelp to try to help but so far it hasnt made any difference and more and more hair is coming out each day.

can anyone offer any other solutions. i am ready to give up my beloved exante and go to ww....

help please kind people!

I am having the same problem...aparently it grows back thicker so I am counting on that! It only started being so noticable when I was away and eating again oddly...but it is falling out in large amounts so hopefully I won't be bald by the time I get to goal.

I'm having the same problem. I finished Lipotrim which is the same thing about 6 weeks ago and for the past few weeks it has been coming out a lot.
Anyone know where it stops? Does it just stop falling out so much and goe back to normal loss at some point and if so when?
x

ginger&proud said:
Hiya,

i have been doing exante ts 100% for nearly 4 months and have lost over 3 stone which I am pleased with ....

however the last few weeks I am really losing a lot of hair each day. even my husband has noticed how much is coming out.

I did have very thick hair to begin with so to a stranger they probably wouldnt notice, but I can. It feels much thinner when i put it in a pony tail and i can start to see scalp where before u could never see any scalp.

i am not a vain person but dont want to be a baldie even if it is a thin baldie!

ive been to holland and barret , they gave me sea kelp to try to help but so far it hasnt made any difference and more and more hair is coming out each day.

can anyone offer any other solutions. i am ready to give up my beloved exante and go to ww....

help please kind people!

I think this is a feature of VLCD which effects some people, it's temporary but distressing. I think it helps to do Add a Meal. If you add more protein and especially some fish it can help. The research is sketchy but adding oily fish, eg salmon, and some meat seems to help some people. Also adding a meal with fresh vegetables helps too, but it's the protein that will make a difference.
A VLCD is quite a shock to the system and that's why the NICE guidelines talk about twelve weeks only. I did it for eight months but I added a meal most weeks and those meals added first class protein. This should be meat or fish, chicken etc if you are not a vegetarian. By the way my hair is absolutely fine, it's certainly not as greasy as it used to be - but my diet is not greasy either. I use lots of good conditioner and it's fine.

When you reach goal and do maintenance your hair will go back go its original state but on a slimmer head and body.

GSQ

When you reach goal and do maintenance your hair will go back go its original state but on a slimmer head and body.
Sorry to disagree but it doesn't :( At least not for a long time.
My hair loss only started after around 4 weeks post VLCD and i'm not alone in that. I've been on maintenance now for a month and it is still coming out.
From what i have read it is something that can happen around the 12 week mark and even if you were to stop after 8 weeks, if it is going to happen then it will happen as the wheels have already been set in motion :(

*lesley* said:
Sorry to disagree but it doesn't :( At least not for a long time.
My hair loss only started after around 4 weeks post VLCD and i'm not alone in that. I've been on maintenance now for a month and it is still coming out.
From what i have read it is something that can happen around the 12 week mark and even if you were to stop after 8 weeks, if it is going to happen then it will happen as the wheels have already been set in motion :(

Everyone's experience is different, no guarantees.

GSQ

Well mine is really coming out in chunks - I have long hair so I am thinking of cutting it short so it looks thicker! That or asking for a wig for christmas lol

This post has actually really scared me, I have really fine/thin hair and I don't want any of it to come out, I hope it doesn't happen to me. :(
FF :eek:

This post has actually really scared me, I have really fine/thin hair and I don't want any of it to come out, I hope it doesn't happen to me. :(

Don't be scared, it is not inevitable. Your diet does affect your hair and there is some evidence which links VLCD and hair loss.

I know many people who have very successfully lost vast amounts of weight doing VLCD - Exante, Lighter Life, Cambridge etc. All are well and all - coincidentally have NO hair problems, but this is about as scientific as all the other posts here - its called anecdotal evidence in a series of one and proves nothing. It just feels reassuring.

Just because I have not hair problems and my friends have not had hair problems it does not mean or prove that you will not have hair problems. If on the other hand I had five friends who all had hair problems whilst on a VLCD it does not mean you also have hair problems.

Go with the flow, if your body craves some extra protein - listen to it. Do add a meal for a week if you can, and take your time, some food breaks are probably good for you.

Everyone is different in their response to VLCD and a great deal depends on your nutritional state before you start. So good luck and don't worry.

GSQ

Don't be scared, it is not inevitable. Your diet does affect your hair and there is some evidence which links VLCD and hair loss.

I know many people who have very successfully lost vast amounts of weight doing VLCD - Exante, Lighter Life, Cambridge etc. All are well and all - coincidentally have NO hair problems, but this is about as scientific as all the other posts here - its called anecdotal evidence in a series of one and proves nothing. It just feels reassuring.

Just because I have not hair problems and my friends have not had hair problems it does not mean or prove that you will not have hair problems. If on the other hand I had five friends who all had hair problems whilst on a VLCD it does not mean you also have hair problems.

Go with the flow, if your body craves some extra protein - listen to it. Do add a meal for a week if you can, and take your time, some food breaks are probably good for you.

Everyone is different in their response to VLCD and a great deal depends on your nutritional state before you start. So good luck and don't worry.

GSQ

When I turned vegetarian I noticed that my hair wasn't as healthy as it had been when I ate varying meat and fish. As I don't eat meat, fish or eggs as a whole (i'll eat egg in baked goods and quorn etc). I put this down to not getting as big a range of amino acids and such. I think i'm going to get some capsules i've seen for thinning hair mainly as my hair is thin anyway and i'll take these along side the diet as well as adding in a meal every other weekend or something. Fingers crossed for minimal/no hair loss! Thanks for putting my mind at ease GSQ

I am veggie too and have never had this problem before... Always had thick hair which is probably why I have some left lol btw I am not making light of it, it is worrying but I just figure hair is hair and it will grow back eventually...being Obese as I was when I started has to be worse for my health than hair loss hence I am seeing the diet through to the end! It also only started falling out when I was eating again when I was away - which seems odd to me!

I am veggie too and have never had this problem before... Always had thick hair which is probably why I have some left lol btw I am not making light of it, it is worrying but I just figure hair is hair and it will grow back eventually...being Obese as I was when I started has to be worse for my health than hair loss hence I am seeing the diet through to the end! It also only started falling out when I was eating again when I was away - which seems odd to me!

When I was looking elsewhere on the internet, it seems to me that while on the diet, you don't really shed hair as the follicles go to a resting stage where the hair is still attached. The hair only comes out when a new one starts growing through. So I guess it means that the diet is lacking in something which stops your follicles from going into the final stage hence when you started eating again, all the hairs took it as a signal that what ever you were missing could start making new hairs again and why lots of hair came out. Maybe you should look into taking some hair skin and nails tablets just to give it a bit of a boost as it comes back in. :)

Hi all,

Im a keen lurker but this post hits home with me, Both my husband and i Did cambridge around two years ago, hubby losing six stone and myself 3. Unfortunatly for me i also experienced hair loss. Im not talking about a few strands no my pillow but having to remove clumps from the plug hole every time i washed as it would block up. Realy worried me I went to the docs and she did bloods ect which of course were all fine. There was no clumps missing of my hair as it falls out evenly and i think is more noticable to yourself then to others. It took around a year to really stop falling out. My hair has started to fall out again a week into this diet. I dont mind as im sure the correct wieght is more important than thinner hair (i do have thick hair that i normally have to get hairdresser to thin for me so i do know it will be very personal to each of us)

Just thought that i would share that it deffo grew back and for me was worth it :)

I was always lead to believe that when doing a vlcd, your body halts it's natural hair shedding process because due to the lack of calories that 'hard times are ahead. When you refeed, the that would've come out before all starts to come out at the same time. So in theory, whilst on the diet your hair might get thicker, then thinner when you eating.
Sure enough this happened to me and I was quite alarmed at my amount of hair loss, but noone else seemed to notice a difference with my hair. I recall it lasted about 3 months which was also about the amount of time I was on Ts

I've also been experiencing this but I have been putting it down to stress and my hair getting longer.

I'm growing my hair for my wedding next year and its the longest it has been for almost 2 years and I'm noticing lots of hair on my desk at work / in my bed and in the drain when I shower.

I'm trying not to worry about this too much as I am the same as gennalouise, I have really thick hair and the hairdresser thins it for me when I visit. I think if it goes on too long though I'll be coming off the VLCD and following the food guides on the exante website.

I think hair loss is a very distressing thing for a woman and if you don't feel comfortable with it I wouldn't stick to the diet.

Thanks everyone - ive started taking hair & nail vitamins, cod liver oil, sea kelp. Also started using a new shampooby loreal especially for hair falling out....fingers crossed it will help.

My hair was very thick to begin with but now each time i wash it big i end up with a big handful of hair! it is coming out all over, so no bald patches, just a general thinning of hair everywhere....just dont want to end up bald!!

Have moved to ww until Jan and then I may re-visit exante as apart from the hair loss it has been fantastic. Good luck to everyone!

Hey guys I had the same thing chunks of hair every time I washed/brushed it, thinning temples, adding a meal etc even a week or so off didn't help much it I bought the maximum strength biotin from h &b and took it twice a day and no more clumps except when I forgot to take it. Not sure it'll work for everyone but was great for me :)

Will give that a go so I may have some hair left!

dustqueen was it the 300ug ones i can see on their website?

might have to give it a try... when i went to H&b they just gave me sea kelp?? anyway have joined ww and lost 4.5 lbs last week but hair still coming out despite the fact i am rattling with all the different vitamins, minerals, essential oil tablets i am taking lol!

Back