Concerns regarding not having enough calories!!

clararose

Hi everyone,

Just about to re-start slim and save, however, just read some stuff about people on general diets not losing weight and people saying that it's because they are not eating enough calories, and that the body reserves fat etc as it goes into starvation mode and you stop losing weight!!!

Now this is really worrying me as it will be so difficult for me to stick to the diet and now i'm thinking by body will hang onto my weight too!

Can anyone shed any light onto this or share their thoughts please.

Thanks in advance!

C

clararose said:
Hi everyone,

Just about to re-start slim and save, however, just read some stuff about people on general diets not losing weight and people saying that it's because they are not eating enough calories, and that the body reserves fat etc as it goes into starvation mode and you stop losing weight!!!

Now this is really worrying me as it will be so difficult for me to stick to the diet and now i'm thinking by body will hang onto my weight too!

Can anyone shed any light onto this or share their thoughts please.

Thanks in advance!

C

That would only apply on a low-calorie diet! VLCDs are a different kettle of fish. Just trust the plan-it works-I've lost 51lbs in 11weeks, and there are lots of other success stories on here :)
Also you say you're about to 'restart' s&s-how did you get on last time? x
Sent from Jo's iPhone using MiniMins

Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't stick to it properly, it's the sad story of my life i'm afraid! I then tried having a shake for breakfast as i find the vanilla crispy cereal shake lovely and quite filling, then having low cal/low carb little meals but i couldn't stick to that long term. I did CD for a while and felt awful but lost weight but i couldn't stick to that either! I keep giving myself a hard time but it's true, i just have no willpower and i get really cross with myself. I suppose i just wanted some advice that this will really work.

Rant over, sorry :)
X

clararose said:
Hi, thanks for the reply. I didn't stick to it properly, it's the sad story of my life i'm afraid! I then tried having a shake for breakfast as i find the vanilla crispy cereal shake lovely and quite filling, then having low cal/low carb little meals but i couldn't stick to that long term. I did CD for a while and felt awful but lost weight but i couldn't stick to that either! I keep giving myself a hard time but it's true, i just have no willpower and i get really cross with myself. I suppose i just wanted some advice that this will really work.

Rant over, sorry :)
X

Don't apologise! I was terrified when I started! But if you really want it, and can stick to it for the first 3/4 days you'll find it gets a million times easier. You'll get tons of support on here-these ladies have helped me get thru each and every day-and some of them have been tough! Give it a go x

Don't apologise! I was terrified when I started! But if you really want it, and can stick to it for the first 3/4 days you'll find it gets a million times easier. You'll get tons of support on here-these ladies have helped me get thru each and every day-and some of them have been tough! Give it a go x

Thanks Welshtigger, i've got a few slim and save products left so am starting tomorrow, i've ordered my next set so hopefully they will arrive soon. I go on holiday with my children in a months time and would love to lose a stone so i feel more comfortable swimming with them, so fingers crossed! x

There are a lot of scare stories out there about the body going into starvation mode etc. on VLCDs but to be honest the vast majority of people who stick to the diet have fantastic losses, especially in the first month. The only way you won't lose the weight is if you start finding excuses not to stick to the diet. Believe me, losing a stone (or more!) is definitely achievable before your holiday but only if you stick to the plan. Just go for it and the weight will fall off. Take each day at a time, and remember, you're looking at quite a short term goal only a month away so focus on that and the time will go quickly. Good luck!

Thanks BordersGirl. I know i'll not enjoy my holiday as much if i stay this size, so thanks for the motivation and i'm going to give it a good shot and try to lose the one stone for my hols. Maybe i should keep you updated on my weight loss and the shame of not sticking to it might help me on :)
Thanks again, x

clararose said:
Thanks BordersGirl. I know i'll not enjoy my holiday as much if i stay this size, so thanks for the motivation and i'm going to give it a good shot and try to lose the one stone for my hols. Maybe i should keep you updated on my weight loss and the shame of not sticking to it might help me on :)
Thanks again, x

Maybe start a diary in the subforum, and then we can follow your progress :) there is also a July challenge thread if you want to set a target between now and the end of the month :) you've got 3 weeks x

I agree with the other posters for sure! Even if you do fail one day, just start again the next. The best thing I can say is that if you keep hammering at that wall, eventually it will fall, even if you have to put your hammer down for a bit. Just accept that screw ups will happen and when they do, be sad about them for a little while and then just start again. The people who never end up losing weight are those who give up completely for weeks and weeks and months at a time. Just don't ever, ever give up and eventually you will get there, don't rush yourself!

I have just finished week one and i am over a stone lighter. S&s really does work xx

Hayley Jane :) weight lost so far: 1stone

I have just finished week one and i am over a stone lighter. S&s really does work xx

WOW! That's amazing and well done you!!! I've started this morning, i've had the hazelnut shake which is really nice, i actually prefer the vanilla crispy shake but i don't have any left, i've placed an order so hoping it will arrive soon.

Just want to say well done again, i'm going to really try with this!

xx

I have lost 130lb on a VLCD and am now 22.5% fat - which is in the fitness range for women. I didn't exercise much during the plan (although I'm ramping up now during my refeed). The scare stories out there about not losing weight on low calories or losing muscle and not fat are just scare stories. If you ensure that you stick to the rules (4 packs a day or 3 packs plus protein) you will lose weight and you won't end up losing lots of muscle mass. Good luck!

clararose said:
WOW! That's amazing and well done you!!! I've started this morning, i've had the hazelnut shake which is really nice, i actually prefer the vanilla crispy shake but i don't have any left, i've placed an order so hoping it will arrive soon.

Just want to say well done again, i'm going to really try with this!

xx

I havent tried the crispy shakes yet im hucked on the strawberry shake and lemon bars lol keep it up u will do well hun xxx

as the others say , dont worry , we are all testiment to the fact that VLCDs DO work and they work very well :) VLCDs are specially formulated to ensure you dont go into 'starvation mode' , if you tried to do a low calorie diet with the same amount of calories you would fail as there is no way to get 100% of essential nutrients woth normal food , it is about caloire deficit but also the fact it is totally nutritionally complete means your body will just burn fat and nothing else :)

Thanks everyone for your replies, has really put my mind at rest. So hard shopping, cooking and serving my children's meals though, it's just the three of us so i have to do it. I have to admit i've had a few pieces of very lean ham today, on top of my meals and also an extra bar, i couldn't stop myself, but was thinking it was better that than having some of the lemon drizzle cake my ex hubby had made for the children, so i'll try to beat myself up too much.

Thanks again xx

Back