Confidentiality at class???

I think you have a right to be cross, however..... if she didn't discuss your weight then she's not really breaking a confidentiality clause.

To STS three weeks running normally means you would need a bit of extra help (TOTM aside) unless you have been off plan, so perhaps she was trying to be helpful by discussing it with MIL.

As the person who does the weigh in, I would advise anyone who has STS for three weeks to stay to group as I would perceive them as needing some extra support/advice/ideas on what to change.

I would simply drop your consultant a text or email explaining that you would rather she didn't discuss your weight loss with anyone except yourself if you don't stay to group.

Can't see much of an issue really.

Mmmhhh...to be honest I think you're reaction is a bit OTT...i don't want to hurt you and maybe it's my mentality but if I don't want anybody to know how I progress with my weight loss (not even my mil ...) I wouldn't go to a slimming club .. Especially not with my mil if we don't have a close relationship anyway. I don't think she revealed your weight..(and let's be honest...everybody knows you don't go there because you are as light as a fairy..) just that you haven't lost anything. She probably just wanted to help. If you had stayed with the class she would've done that anyway...by the way..you can always let your c know that you don't want your results to be discussed in front of everyone even if you stay.

And all I can say is: if you are really unhappy, communication goes a long way. She probably didn't know your feelings on this and as she didn't reveal your weight she probably didn't think she would breach anything (she probably hasn't anyway...not taking into account members you have to walk on eggshells with). She can't read your mind and if you don't go up to her and talk to her she will never know!

Sorry if everyone hates me now....

I think if she mentioned your weight then thats an issue, but mentioning that you STS is not as bad.

I have been going to SW for about 20 months and in that time i have been stuck and maintained and i hope the advice given by the C to others about me is helpful.

I dont think she meant to upset you - but as she has, you need to tell her.

If you had stayed to class then maybe that would have helped - do you miss class a lot?

I hope you dont give up - but to me it seems the MIL issue is the crux of this problem.

x

Hi,it sounds to me that your Mil has put a very negative tint on your SW experience on a whole. Can you make an excuse not to attend that class and start another class? Preferably one you know she can't attend? I have always loved going to my SW class and think you're missing out on sharing ideas with new people xx

This is one of the many reasons why I love this site.

One situation but so many views. It helps to share problems with people & see things from different viewpoints.

It's is also not clear from the OP whether the comment was made to the group as part of image therapy or as a one-to-one with the mother-law. Personally I would not see this as a huge issue - no real personal information was given away. Perhaps your sensitivity is coming more from the sts? I was never emotionally invested in what the scales said on a weekly basis so if it was a sts then it was neither here nor there and didn't matter who knew.

It must be frustrating for a consultant to see some struggling and not be able to offer face-to-face advice because they leave immediately after weigh-in. If I were to see a mother and daughter-in-law attending class together then I would assume they had a good relationship and would see her as a natural communication route.

I'd be peeved - but bottom line, if she didn't disclose your actual weight, she hasn't broken confidentiality. Things are sometimes touchy between relatives - I go with my mother now, I know it can sometimes be tough - so I can only imagine what it must be like with a mil.

If you just say it that you'd rather not have your weight discussed with your mil, you've marked a line in the sand - take it from there. I agree with one of the other posters - it sounds like your mil is impinging on your sw enjoyment. Maybe another group is the answer.

My C spoke with my mum - I'm losing more than she is - think it's an age thing, plus I'm exercising. She told her to try not to focus on what I'm doing, to put her energy totally into what she's doing herself. Hope that helps.

MIL's are the route of all problems. lol xx

I think if the c wanted to offer support she should have done so by text,email or phone not via mil.
I also get the feeling that its the mil that is more the issue and her phoning and saying this that and the other thats caused the upset and it may have even been her that brought it up at group with the c.
I think you need to find a way to sort this out so you can get the support you want and need in an appropriate way.
If you are able to stay to group I think that helps then you would have been able to explain that it was star week etc and put your opinion across.
Weightloss is a sensitive and emotive thing but try and stay strong :)

Back