Confused about consultant

Lauren - I agree. My consultant has obviously lost, and kept off, a good deal of weight, and I find that really inspiring. Mind you, I've probably been to 5 or 6 different classes over the years :)o) and I've never come across an overweight consultant.

I did once go to a Weightwatchers group (am I allowed to use that word here? :D) where the consultant made a huge deal over having lost about a stone to get to target... Personally, I think I'd almost prefer an overweight consultant, who was on their journey to target, than someone who lost so little. That is absolutely not to take away from the personal struggles/triumph of people with small amounts to lose - just that as a much larger lady, I didn't want to hear how fat this consultant had felt while carrying a stone too much weight! A bit off-putting, all in all.

Interested to know why they advise that 'working as a consultant can cause your losses to go awry'?! Surely that can and does happen to all of us? Seems lik an odd thing to say?

Maybe because being a consultant, especially to start with, can be really stressful.

It is due to the stress and the fact that you will end up not being able to cook as much as you would like due to time being occupied by being a consultant.

Seriously!!??? Well I don't hold out much hope for the rest of us then that also have stresses and strains, work shifts, work nights etc etc!! I thought SW promoted that the plan fits in with you!! lol
To be honest, I would think having a job where your appearance counts would be the one thing that may even keep you on plan if anything!!

I put a virtually identical thread on here a couple of years ago and was virtually hung drawn and quartered for it! As one of the people standing up for me at the time said ' you wouldn't have your hair cut by someone with lank, greasy locks or your nails by someone who had bitten down ones herself so what's the difference? Ok my title 'why are SW consultants fatter than WW ones' didn't do me any favours but I must have been to a dozen different leaders of both companies and I have never seen a fat WW consultant or a slim SW one !
Having said all the above the leader I have at the moment is the same size as she was five years ago (bloody brilliant and hilarious leader) so even though she is still obese she has lots of target members! So the jury's still out! Lol!

Sal x

Last edited:
I used to go to a SW group years ago, led by a man and he had lost loads and had remained slim. My most recent experience though (hence why I decided to go it alone from home) was of a very over weight lady who brought her two uncontrollable kids with her to group where they proceeded to wreck all her displays, scattering everything all over the floor. She has little enthusiasm and even less encouragement for most of the group members, only a few who seemed to be her favourite regulars. She's spend ages with these and practically ignored everyone else, getting her 'pals' to weigh in everyone else once she'd weighed her favourites.

If i chose to be a consultant, at half way to target i would still be obese, but i would have a lot of experience of using the plan that i would be able to share. Probably more so than someone who has lost a stone to get to target .
Everybodies journey is differant and everybodies motivation for being a counsultant is different. Personally nither would bother me as long as they knew the plan and could motivate and help me. Maybe your consultant is in a similer position to me, my advice is give her a go she maybe the best consultant ever x

I have a Consultant who has lost 2.1/2 stone, is lovely and slim and tells us when she has overdone it and put on a couple of pounds. I believe they have to be weighed once a month. I do feel that she knows what we are going through by her talks etc. She is very supportive. She doesn`t weigh anybody. She has helpers who weigh each other before the main class, while the Consultant is either talking to members or starting a new member talk.
She is very inspirational but of course she cannot do the eating plan for us.

I have previously had an overweight consultant who was NOT losing weight - she told us - did understand how we felt but overall not too good. I left and so did most of the class.

I had a consultant previous to the one I have now who is the Manager of my now consultant. She spent a lot of time with the same people every week, one helper in particular, less time with others. Talked about herself a lot too. That was very irritating. I only left her because it suited me to have a morning class.

My present consultant is extremely good, may have a little fault or two, but then who hasn`t.

If i chose to be a consultant, at half way to target i would still be obese, but i would have a lot of experience of using the plan that i would be able to share. Probably more so than someone who has lost a stone to get to target .
Everybodies journey is differant and everybodies motivation for being a counsultant is different. Personally nither would bother me as long as they knew the plan and could motivate and help me. Maybe your consultant is in a similer position to me, my advice is give her a go she maybe the best consultant ever x
Yep I agree although my leader is at least the same size as she was then so it doesn't instil much confidence in you if you can't see the 'visible' results so to speak. Also I know that WW leaders have to stay within so many pounds of target to keep their job - I don't know whether that's a good thing or not tbh! Lol!
Sal x

Gosh, that seems a bit harsh! Sometimes your weigh fluctuates and it can be hard to keep within target. I wonder how long they are given to get back?

I think it's unfair to say that someone with less weight to lose has less experience! I have dieted all my adult life on and off, approx 30 years, though I've never had stones and stones to lose.....around about 2 mostly as I always have tried to rein it in before it gets out of hand. It's no easier because you have less to lose believe me, infact sometimes it's harder the nearer you get to goal and so we dont get the big losses that someone with more weight to lose might get. We still have the same troubles. We are all in the same boat regardless. I think my 30 years experience could go a long way with understanding how people feel.....

WW leaders sisnt used to be able to run a class if they weighed over target - not sure if its still the same though.

My sw consultant is back to target afetr having her baby last year but shes so fab I would still be with her if she hadnt lost it yet

Gosh, that seems a bit harsh! Sometimes your weigh fluctuates and it can be hard to keep within target. I wonder how long they are given to get back?
Well apparently they get weighed at the area managers house every month ( or at least my old consultant did!) so whether they have until the next weigh in to get it off?? No pressure there then! Lol!
Sal x

I think it's unfair to say that someone with less weight to lose has less experience! I have dieted all my adult life on and off, approx 30 years, though I've never had stones and stones to lose.....around about 2 mostly as I always have tried to rein it in before it gets out of hand. It's no easier because you have less to lose believe me, infact sometimes it's harder the nearer you get to goal and so we dont get the big losses that someone with more weight to lose might get. We still have the same troubles. We are all in the same boat regardless. I think my 30 years experience could go a long way with understanding how people feel.....

I didn't actually mean to imply that the person with less weight to loose wasn't experienced, i was trying to point out that the bigger consultant probably has just as much, and as such has just as much to offer :eek: i was in a rush and probably worded it badly.
weight is a very personal thing, what one person may see as a problem might not to another. I would be happy to be your start weight by the end but then i would have lost a huge amount to get there, :sigh:

My aim in life is never to judge people for their choices, but to encourage them and support them if asked xx If the consultant is good at her job then her weight should be irrelevent to it,

My aim in life is never to judge people for their choices, but to encourage them and support them if asked xx If the consultant is good at her job then her weight should be irrelevent to it,

I agree with you in theory, and I'd not necessarily judge anyone for being overweight, but I can't honestly say it wouldn't make me think "hold on, you're supposed to be teaching by example". I could be an experienced nutritionist and lifestyle coach (currently training hence the example) but if I was obese and my life were in tatters would I not expect people to ask WHY I was giving them advice.

I think, unfortunately, there's a difference between someone having a target that would still technically class them as overweight but being totally happy with that than there is to clearly be clinically obese and trying to tell others about a great diet plan that they've followed. It's the following of the plan they're supposed to have done that's the issue. I'm sure most of us have solid nutrition information and knowledge, but the issue is we choose to ignore it, thus we need a consultant who can inspire us by having been there and done it with successful results.

I don't think it's about having less experience as such, losing a pound/a stone, etc, is the same for everyone, but I think it's more about the psychology of weight loss for those of us with more to lose which someone with less to lose might not have an in-depth understanding of.

Eg; I started with around 12st to lose, which I knew was going to take me a very long time and it's hard to get started as it's so daunting. Now, over a year later, I'm still only 1/3rd of the way there and sometimes it's hard to keep it going when I still can't even see the finish point in the distance. I also think differently to someone with 2st to lose, I have lots of issues, like how/why I let myself get here, why didn't I turn it around at 2st overweight... and so on. The way we lose weight is the same (I don't have those bigger losses either) but psychologically we're quite different.

That's not to say someone losing 2st won't struggle too (or that everyone needing to lose 5-10st+ will!) or that they can't be great leaders, of course they can, but I think people who are still overweight and struggling on their 'weight loss journey' can also be great leaders, it's about their passion and understanding, more than what they weigh, in my opinion anyway. x

That's not to say someone losing 2st won't struggle too (or that everyone needing to lose 5-10st+ will!) or that they can't be great leaders, of course they can, but I think people who are still overweight and struggling on their 'weight loss journey' can also be great leaders, it's about their passion and understanding, more than what they weigh, in my opinion anyway. x

I like this way of thinking, totally different if you showed up and consultant was say half way through and joining in with you, then it's like mutual support. For me the issue would be that person just solely telling me HOW to do it without any hint of "you know, when I tried that it didn't work, but now I'm trying this instead, maybe you can too and we can compare", but just to show up and be told this plan works with no proof of even "I'm not there yet, but I've lost x amount and it's working for me" would dampen my gusto.

I don't think it's about having less experience as such, losing a pound/a stone, etc, is the same for everyone, but I think it's more about the psychology of weight loss for those of us with more to lose which someone with less to lose might not have an in-depth understanding of.

Eg; I started with around 12st to lose, which I knew was going to take me a very long time and it's hard to get started as it's so daunting. Now, over a year later, I'm still only 1/3rd of the way there and sometimes it's hard to keep it going when I still can't even see the finish point in the distance. I also think differently to someone with 2st to lose, I have lots of issues, like how/why I let myself get here, why didn't I turn it around at 2st overweight... and so on. The way we lose weight is the same (I don't have those bigger losses either) but psychologically we're quite different.

I see your point and I agree to a certain degree. I still think the fact that I...or anyone else that has dieted long term has probably lost many, many more stones than 12 over the years, therefore proving that we all suffer the same psychological feelings that you mention.
There is no right or wrong, fat or thin.....personally I think a consultant has to inspire his or her members and the one very large consultant I had didn't and telling me how to do the plan when I gained 1lb really didn't do much for me!!

I like this way of thinking, totally different if you showed up and consultant was say half way through and joining in with you, then it's like mutual support. For me the issue would be that person just solely telling me HOW to do it without any hint of "you know, when I tried that it didn't work, but now I'm trying this instead, maybe you can too and we can compare", but just to show up and be told this plan works with no proof of even "I'm not there yet, but I've lost x amount and it's working for me" would dampen my gusto.

As far as I can remember I've only had one 'overweight' leader and he was brilliant, he'd lost lots, but gained about 2-3st-ish back, I always felt he was struggling/celebrating with me, like we were in it together. I've never had a SW leader not practice what they preach, they've either been at target (and living and breathing SW) or trying to lose with me.

Actually, we had someone cover our group the other week, she wasn't huge by any standards, but I wouldn't say she was currently at her target weight either, there were probably class members with less to lose than her, but she was brilliant, so passionate and inspiring, most people commented on how good she was afterwards. x

I see your point and I agree to a certain degree. I still think the fact that I...or anyone else that has dieted long term has probably lost many, many more stones than 12 over the years, therefore proving that we all suffer the same psychological feelings that you mention.
There is no right or wrong, fat or thin.....personally I think a consultant has to inspire his or her members and the one very large consultant I had didn't and telling me how to do the plan when I gained 1lb really didn't do much for me!!

I can see what you're saying, but I don't agree (sorry!) losing 2st ten times is not the same as someone losing 20st. Yes, the physical elements are still the same, we all have to stick to the plan every day and psychologically, that's just as difficult for everyone, but there are lots of issues for people at 20st+ that a 12st person will probably not understand or be able to fully empathise with.

But that said, I don't think that someone has to lose 10st to inspire someone with lots to lose, and I think most SW members have less to lose anyway, I'm more of a minority, thankfully. Like you say, no rights or wrongs, just good leading from the front. :)

Lauren - I agree. My consultant has obviously lost, and kept off, a good deal of weight, and I find that really inspiring. Mind you, I've probably been to 5 or 6 different classes over the years :)o) and I've never come across an overweight consultant.

I did once go to a Weightwatchers group (am I allowed to use that word here? :D) where the consultant made a huge deal over having lost about a stone to get to target... Personally, I think I'd almost prefer an overweight consultant, who was on their journey to target, than someone who lost so little. That is absolutely not to take away from the personal struggles/triumph of people with small amounts to lose - just that as a much larger lady, I didn't want to hear how fat this consultant had felt while carrying a stone too much weight! A bit off-putting, all in all.

I guess the conclusion is regardless of weight....you have to inspire.
There are probably many slim consultants who are rubbish and some larger ones that are great...it not all about the weight ironically!! lol

I was going to mention Weightwatchers - when I went years ago I was plodding along, losing 1.5 every week for weeks - my leader was at her target, but her heart wasn't in it. She didn't like cooking from scratch, she didn't like soup so wouldn't really discuss ways of using that for lunches, she used to save up all her weeklies for takeaways and drink - which she was entitled to do - but didn't have much advice for those who didn't do that. I found her horribly demotivating and ended up dreading going - eventually stopped going altogether for a few reasons. I would nearly have preferred a heavier lady who would give me a kick up the bum and be passionate about the company she works for. I remember saying that I pointed all my food Christmas Day and I was laughed at. Awful, I was only trying to do my best!

Back