Confused about exercise- help please?

Thanks Jenny and Northern lass, I'm going to srick with the exercise because I know it is better for me than doing nothing also a hour a day away form hubby and our 4 kids (aged3 - 11) can only benefical!

Also going to take on board, Jenny your info re rest, sometimes when I dont exercise I feel guilty and this can lead to comfort eating, so have decided that i will rest completely on a wed as I weigh in on tuesday nights. Thanks very much for your replies!

hi

just wanted to add to this thread. Exercise is so important to build into your routine, particularly cardio workouts. Be it walking more, swimming, marathon training or step classes. Benefits include improving your blood pressure, good for the heart (its a muscle remember) and strengthens bones and joints (particularly important for women).

Personally, I find exercise good for my soul! It reduces my stress levels, helps me switch off and makes me feel really positive about myself.

Also, exercise is great for toning up. A toned body will look leaner than the body of someone who doesnt exercise - and can make you appear to have lost more than you already have.

So, yes I am a big fan of exercise.

There have been a few studies lately which have said that exercise does not help weight loss - that's all down to reducing your calorie intake.

So in the most basic sense she's right.

BUT - in the long term exercise can only be good for you (as long as you're OK healthwise that is). It might screw up your weight loss for a wee while but in all other respects it boosts your endorphins and makes you fel good. Why do they say physical activity helps depression? It just gives you a great buzz.

can I just say fayhamy - your avatar is making me dribble!!

Medusa said:
There have been a few studies lately which have said that exercise does not help weight loss - that's all down to reducing your calorie intake.

So in the most basic sense she's right.

BUT - in the long term exercise can only be good for you (as long as you're OK healthwise that is). It might screw up your weight loss for a wee while but in all other respects it boosts your endorphins and makes you fel good. Why do they say physical activity helps depression? It just gives you a great buzz.

I saw an article about that recently, but they did say that most people exercising to lose weight tended to eat more which counter-acted the exercise. Obviously on sw, the plan doesn't change if you exercise, which is why (in theory) it can help your losses.

All depends on whether you reward your workout with food.

Back