confused by labels

Discussion in 'Low Carb Diets' started by sunshine1, 16 January 2010 Social URL.

1. sunshine1

sunshine1 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st6lb
    Current Weight:
    12st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(31.15%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge 810
    I am doing CD and happy with it but whilst on a shopping trip recently i forgot to take a CD bar with me.
    I popped in to boots to look for a bar to keep me going. I picked up an atkins bar thinking that it can't be too different from a CD bar.
    Front of bar said 2.1g net carbs...woohoo, i am thinking brilliant. I then read nutrition info on the back and it said 8.5 carbs.
    What should i be taking notice of?

This is also going to help me when i get to an acceptable weight and plan for my future maintenance healthy eating plan.

2. Avatar

MiniMins.com Matched Content

3. NewDawn

NewDawn Bring on the trumpets

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st4lb(8.18%)
    From memory............the net carbs is the one you need to count...which is the lower......so count 2.1g....I like Atkins bars :D

Copy from Rainbowcookie

You only take off the fibe in America/ on american products. These atkins bars are made in the netherlands.

I always just take the net carb figure printed on the front as read, but I would think that it would be close to 19g total minus 16g polyols = 3g. I am not sure how they have shrunk this to 2.1 unless the other numbers are rounded.

The gylcerine is just part of the polyols - this is what gives you the runs.

For normal products - look at total carbs minus polyols - everything else will be starches or sugars.

Once again.. ignore fibre unless on an american produced product.
    Polyols are artificial sweeteners

I hope this makes sense..............if not ask on the Atkins board

xxxx

4. sunshine1

sunshine1 Full Member

Start Weight:
    17st6lb
    Current Weight:
    12st0lb
    Goal Weight:
    10st4lb
    Lost(%):
    5st6lb(31.15%)
    Diet:
    Cambridge 810
    Thanx for reply.

I loved the atkins bar too, a nice change.

Think i kinda understand what you are saying.

So, if it says 15g carbs and 10g polyols, it would have 5 grams of carbs then? Well, carbs that i am counting.

Hope i have got it right, if not then i am a right thicko lol

5. NewDawn

NewDawn Bring on the trumpets

Start Weight:
    15st10lb
    Current Weight:
    14st6lb
    Goal Weight:
    11st0lb
    Lost(%):
    1st4lb(8.18%)
    yeah that sounds about right :D

Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.