Confused over Jacket Potatoes

sarah1274

I have tried to find this out but avail so now I am assuming.

Jacket potatoes are high in PP but mashed or boiled are not so high.

I am assuming its to do with eating the skin as this is the only real difference.

Now I don't eat the skin I like to take to potato out and mash it, so does this make it the equivalent of Mash Potato:confused:

Sorry if this seems like a really silly question :eek:

It's to do with the water content during the cooking process - and boiling/mashing means the potato retains the water. Baking means the water evaporates, so ultimately weighs less - it's the same potato, with the same NVs, but smaller. (If this is wrong please correct me, but this is what I understand from the booklet from the meetings).

I always weigh my potato raw before I do anything with it, I use the NV on the packet for /100g measurements and go from there. However most the time, Raw, a potato is 1pp for 50g.

I hope that helps :) x

I have NEVER understood all this either, so I have always done raw weight too.

it is to do with the water evaporating when baked..hence lighter when cooked. they reccomend you weigh it raw but if you cant then the calculation is as follows:
100g =4
150g =6
200g =7
225g =8
300g =11
they suggest these values are based on baking an old potato e.g maris piper in the oven at 190C for 90mins (page 49 of pocket guide)

hope this helps :)

Back