Confused :(

louiseb78

i will be a yummy mummy
Hi all

Sorry to be writing this thread but I need to get it off my chest and need much needed advice

Ok so tonight I had a few friends over and they were arranging our night out for a meal in 2 weeks time so I decided to be honest as I not ashamed of what I doing I am proud I actually going to do it , anyway they weren't negative but they have put a few doubts in my head

They were talking about how it's not good etc and then someone mentioned that I could get gall stones
Well then they were talking bout ppl they knew who had gs from a vlcd etc and its just made me feel rubbish and has doubted my positiveness and excitement to start now

Has anyone else had this worry ? And cant u get gs from any kind of diet?

I maybe worrying over something that may never happen but as they were do involved in that particular conversation it's has made me think!
They weren't being mean they were just talking openly and in general I quite a sensitive person anyway but I just wanted to discuss it with u guys

Sorry if u didn't want to read this but I need support/advice and had to be honest

I know 2 people who have had gallstones. One of my friends was rushed to hospital and operated on with them. She had lost 7 stones over a period of a year or so on WW. The other is my cousin who has never been on any diet in her life

Yes, you CAN get them on a VLCD, but you can also get them on any diet you do.

Dont let the scaremongerers put you off :)

Aww thanks starlight.... It's one of those questions u always think of but don't want to....
I was am still am a bit positive about doing this I need to and like u said u can get gs from any diet ...Thank u :)

I was a bit worried about this when I started so I bought some omega 3 capsules which are supposed to help. However the capsules are pretty big and I haven't been able to face swallowing one yet as I'm not great with tablets! A handful of nuts is supposed to help prevent gall stones too.

ItIsLucy said:
I was a bit worried about this when I started so I bought some omega 3 capsules which are supposed to help. However the capsules are pretty big and I haven't been able to face swallowing one yet as I'm not great with tablets! A handful of nuts is supposed to help prevent gall stones too.

Have u started s&s yet? Thanks for yr advice :)

I'm sure I have gallstones as my symptoms absolutely fit with that. I had them well before I started this diet though. Since being on this VLCD I haven't had an attack simply because I am not eating high fat trigger foods. Many of us will be in the category where gallstones are more common which is 'fair, fat, female, fertile, forty' or the 5 Fs that doctors look out for.

Gallstones are extremely common whether you've been on a VLCD or not. If you fit into the category above then you are at risk anyway.

yes you can get gallstones from losing alot of weight but drinking plenty of water helps.....and also women who are overweight and of a 'certain age' are much more at risk of getting them anyway...so staying the same CAN give you them and losing CAN give you them...so i chose losing.

edit to say my mom is having her gall bladder out in the next few months and she has been between 10 and 11 stone her entire life...she got her stones from long standing thyroid issues as her body doesnt absorb calcium correctly anymore.

Gall stone tend to take a long time to build up - generally years. Losing weight can trigger an attack but it doesn't matter if you lose weight quickly or slowly. Also, you can get an attack whether or not you lose weight. It's very painful but the treatment is reasonably simple. Basically, if you already have gall stones you may get an attack. Not much different then if you did a different diet or no diet at all.

There are many people who worry about VLCDs and think that they are unhealthy. That would have been my gut reaction before I invesitgated prior to starting. You may find you need to reassure a number of people about different concerns which they have along the way. I started a VLCD partly because I had a friend who was doing one and she gave me lots of info on it. Now that I'm doing it my dad is doing it too. I think for many people knowing someone who is doing it and hearing their explanations is a trigger for thinking about doing it yourself.

Hi all

Thanks so much for yr replies I totally agree with all what yr saying

I felt so down last night after the conversations and I will be honest I did start to doubt wether I should do it or not but after a good nights sleep I feel 100% that I definatly going to do it like u said u can get gs on any diet and u can also get gs if u don't diet!! So if I at risk either way I would rather get benefit out of it and lose the weight!

I am so ready now if ppl say anything to me about the diet or anything negative my comeback is going to be amazing they will be sorry they said anything! Lol

Thanks again really appreciate yr support and advice :)

Roll on tomorrow/tues :) xx

I had my gallbladder out at the end of my time on lighterlife. I has having the worst pain of my life. However, the vlcd did not cause them alone - I had already had attacks after eating fatty food before I started a vlcd.

It is true that a vlcd can cause them, but I'd argue that the damage will have already been done, if someone is large enough to want to do a vlcd.

Staying fat, which most people do, is a bigger risk than doing a vlcd.

Totally agree with this. I pretty much know that I'll need my gall bladder out at some point but that would have been the case whether I did a VLCD or not, plus I'll be a lot lower risk when having the op (as I should be in a healthy BMI) and gall bladder aside I feel fantastic!

SerenityValley said:

Completely agree with this. I decided that yes there may be slight risks with a vlcd but staying overweight had much bigger risks for my long term health and after trying and failing with WW et al I decided a vlcd was the way forward for me! And 3 months down the line and over 3 stone gone it was the right decision for me!

louiseb78 said:
Have u started s&s yet? Thanks for yr advice :)

I've been on a vlcd for 3 months. I'm mostly doing Exante (because i prefer their shakes and porridge and find their bars much more filling) but I do use the odd slim and save meal pack and choc bar for variety. It's not recommended to mix and match btw but it works for me.

BordersGirl said:
Totally agree with this. I pretty much know that I'll need my gall bladder out at some point but that would have been the case whether I did a VLCD or not, plus I'll be a lot lower risk when having the op (as I should be in a healthy BMI) and gall bladder aside I feel fantastic!

Yes that's how I feel :)

ItIsLucy said:
Completely agree with this. I decided that yes there may be slight risks with a vlcd but staying overweight had much bigger risks for my long term health and after trying and failing with WW et al I decided a vlcd was the way forward for me! And 3 months down the line and over 3 stone gone it was the right decision for me!

Wow well done hun And yes I agree wat yr saying :)

Laurie said:
What pain do you get then? Sounds silly but I've no idea

I think it might be best not knowing as if yr anything like me if I know I will be looking out for it!

Oh you'll know if it you get it. It usually starts at night. For me it starts as a pain on the right hand side of the ribs that gets worse and worse. This can be accompanied by a fever but not always (for me). Then a terrible feeling of nausea and eventually constant vomitting (which is when the pain subsides). After a night of that I generally feel like death in the morning. For some people the pain gets worse and worse and they end up in A&E as they don't get the relief that I do by vomitting.

Believe me it's lovely, and you'll definitely know if you have it!

BordersGirl said:
Oh you'll know if it you get it. It usually starts at night. For me it starts as a pain on the right hand side of the ribs that gets worse and worse. This can be accompanied by a fever but not always (for me). Then a terrible feeling of nausea and eventually constant vomitting (which is when the pain subsides). After a night of that I generally feel like death in the morning. For some people the pain gets worse and worse and they end up in A&E as they don't get the relief that I do by vomitting.

Believe me it's lovely, and you'll definitely know if you have it!

Yeah I get pains there too niggling away but had that for years!! I would rather have the pain and be healthy than be fat and still have the pain! :)

Back